Crysis & the high requirements

Would you buy Crysis, if it is so demanding?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jimmymac

VIP Member
Are you serious? A first person shooter where you play as a cybernetically enhanced supersoldier who is airdropped into an international war on a remote, tropical island which also happens to be the sight of a crashed alien space ship which can extend a 100km wide dome which instantly freezes!!!!!!!! YOU FIND THAT BORING!!!! Oh yeah and it has drivable tanks too :D

you mean a first person shooter where the storyline pans out with arriving in an area you dont know with strange happenings that you need to investigate. Only to find some twist later on that changes your perspective a bit but ultimately only having to defeat the big bad boss at the end.

no doesnt sound like every other FPS ever made to me at all, but hey at least it will look pretty.....:rolleyes:

12-Gauge

you mean a first person shooter where the storyline pans out with arriving in an area you dont know with strange happenings that you need to investigate. Only to find some twist later on that changes your perspective a bit but ultimately only having to defeat the big bad boss at the end.

I.....errrr.....well.....yes

jimmymac

VIP Member
fact is crysis will be almost identical to every other FPS thats been released in the last few years, just with a damn sight better graphics

game creators are getting extremely lazy and its quite tragic to be honest, personally i wont waste my money on it!

12-Gauge

Granted, very few game creators have 'broken the mould' with first person shooters. Except maybe Half-Life 2. (Hence it is been called the greatest FPS of all time by virtually everyone). I do, however, think that Crysis has the potential to be better than most. Whether it actually will has yet to be seen.

jimmymac

VIP Member
but why do you believe it has potential to be better than most? what makes it stand out from all the rest?

12-Gauge

but why do you believe it has potential to be better than most? what makes it stand out from all the rest?

1. Open-ended, sand-box gameplay (an entire island)
2. The Nano-suit (can be used to jump 30ft into the air)
3. Weapon customization (real-time modification with grenade launchers, suppressors etc.)
4. More emphasis on 'tactics' (flanking, target spotting, tranquilisers, memorizing patrol paths etc.)
5. Vehicles (jeeps and tanks) purely for destructive fun :D
6. And, as you said, some pretty spectacular visuals.

jimmymac

VIP Member
1. Open-ended, sand-box gameplay (an entire island)
just like the majority of games then, ok so its a larger expanse than some but sandbox mode has become almost generic in games

2. The Nano-suit (can be used to jump 30ft into the air)
grasshopper mode, errrrrr, great :confused:

3. Weapon customization (real-time modification with grenade launchers, suppressors etc.)
knights of the old republic had that option a good 4+years ago, and its been in many more before it

4. More emphasis on 'tactics' (flanking, target spotting, tranquilisers, memorizing patrol paths etc.)
even Dune 2 battle for arrakis has decent tactical emphasis and i played that on an 80286 some 10+ years ago

5. Vehicles (jeeps and tanks) purely for destructive fun :D
as with pretty much all recent FPS, if its the ability to drive the thing that interest you then go buy a copy of the 1985 smash Mechwarrior

6. And, as you said, some pretty spectacular visuals
thats the crux of it :)

now i know its not easy to come up with new ideas but its a damn shame to start reusing the same ideas over and over again without spending some time really looking at how to make a game more playable. Rather than just how many different ways can a person get blown up or shot!

12-Gauge

Jimmymac, i thought your argument was based on the apparent lack of unique gameplay in Crysis. All of a sudden you've changed your argument to "every single game ever made is exactly the same". If thats they case then I implore you to continue playing 5 year old games and then we will see if they really stand the test of time. Games evolve, they can improve, saying that they lack inovation is on thing, saying that they are all the same is quite another.

Last edited:

jimmymac

VIP Member
i play more older games than i do recent games becuase i've yet to find anything that really has enough gameplay to last more than a couple of days with me.

forgive my sentiments of saying "every single game ever made is exactly the same" i didnt mean to put that and its probably the alcohol kicking in thats affecting my judgement (and very soon my spelling no doubt) :D

I dont believe that every have made is the same, i do believe that there has been very little in the way of originality in more recent games. To the point whereby a game doesnt have more than a few hours real gameplay to it before it becomes extemely repetative.....

ADE

banned
jimmymac, what you seem to be failing to see is that ALL FPS are different. How, well, i think you be rather, er, um, dumb to say nothing has changed. You never once have though about this? Ever? HELLO! The storyline is different! That's what makes it great. Those are just mere details at the tip of the iceberg what you criticize! Physics and graphics, all FPS have them. That's not the point.

fact is crysis will be almost identical to every other FPS that's been released in the last few years, just with a damn sight better graphics

game creators are getting extremely lazy and its quite tragic to be honest, personally i wont waste my money on it!
You tell me how Crysis and F.E.A.R. are "Identical" and I will change my opinion. they both shoot and are in 1st person, have great physics, but have absolutely nothing to do with each other! Story line is what sets games apart! Before you go saying everyone is the same, think before you type! The goal of games now a day is to make it realistic and captivating as possible. They have done that, from the physics, to the detail, to the AI. Now what they have is one of the best story lines ever.

Edit-what do they use to even get those screenshots or videos then? I would happily buy an R600 to play this good.

12-Gauge

I dont believe that every game ever made is the same,

I know you don't really, it's just way in which you were comparing completely different games (RPGs, FPS and racer simply can't be compared). I certainly understand your underlying point about repetition though. I just don't think we should judge a book by its cover. Yes, Crysis will look awesome, but there is a chance that we could be pleasantly surprised by some unique and truly exciting gameplay.

its probably the alcohol kicking in thats affecting my judgement (and very soon my spelling no doubt)

Lol. I've....*hick*....only haad a couple guv.....honest *hick*

jimmymac

VIP Member
how does the storyline of each pan out ADE? give me a brief synopsis of what happens within each?

Fear - begin fighting against normal people searching for a reason for the strange goings on, eventually its found to be something above the norm, something weird is happening and you have a much more difficult foe to fight, all leading up to that all important battle with the larger entity

Crysis - begin fighting against normal people (the koreans i believe) until its found that something strange is going on, some weird happenings and suddenly a more difficult foe (aliens) and you can but your ass theres gonna be some large difficult fight at the end...

Nope your right, completely different ideas with wondefully compelling stoylines i bet/

I am thinking before i type ADE, something you should try from time to time :)

Gameplay is not about the graphics, its not about how realistic you make something look. Its about finding something new, something innovative that you havent done before in a game or at least a far enough derivative or new way of doing things that it makes it more interesting.

Can you honestly tell me that apart from the graphics themselves there is much difference between FEAR, COD, Prey. What is inherantly different about each game that truly puts one above the other. The storyline has almost the same basic set out but with a change in its characters and its timeline.

Yes, Crysis will look awesome, but there is a chance that we could be pleasantly surprised by some unique and truly exciting gameplay.

your quite right ther gauge, i could be judging the books by its cover, it might be that something in crysis really sticks out. I'm just a bit dismayed that the previews of it dont suggest so. I will happily eat humble pie if it does turn out to do something new and exciting as it might finally give me something worth playing. Sadly i wont hold my breath though :)

Last edited:

ADE

banned
how does the storyline of each pan out ADE? give me a brief synopsis of what happens within each?

Fear - begin fighting against normal people searching for a reason for the strange goings on, eventually its found to be something above the norm, something weird is happening and you have a much more difficult foe to fight, all leading up to that all important battle with the larger entity

Crysis - begin fighting against normal people (the koreans i believe) until its found that something strange is going on, some weird happenings and suddenly a more difficult foe (aliens) and you can but your ass theres gonna be some large difficult fight at the end...

Nope your right, completely different ideas with wondefully compelling stoylines i bet/

I am thinking before i type ADE, something you should try from time to time :)

Gameplay is not about the graphics, its not about how realistic you make something look. Its about finding something new, something innovative that you havent done before in a game or at least a far enough derivative or new way of doing things that it makes it more interesting.

Can you honestly tell me that apart from the graphics themselves there is much difference between FEAR, COD, Prey. What is inherantly different about each game that truly puts one above the other. The storyline has almost the same basic set out but with a change in its characters and its timeline.

your quite right ther gauge, i could be judging the books by its cover, it might be that something in crysis really sticks out. I'm just a bit dismayed that the previews of it dint suggest so. I will happily eat humble pie if it does turn out to do something new and exciting as it might finally give me something worth playing. Sadly i wont hold my breath though :)

Wow, you are really self centered when trying to prove me wrong. Have you played F.E.A.R.? If you have you know very well you are purpusly saying things that arent true just for the sake of your situation. first of all, the game is not with "normal people" as you say, they are clones. second, later in the game, YOUR NOT EVEN FIGHTING PEOPLE! Your fighting daemon and ghosts and shit. In Crysis are you an experiment born from a 13 year old girl who was forced to be a subject to create an experiment who when gave birth to the 2nd experiment died duo to the liquid medicine filling her lungs and now her ghost is trapped and you as the experiment must stop your brother from dooming the world and letting your 15 year old mother out and destroying the world and in the end does? I THINK NOT! Crysis, as said before, has to do with aliens. tell me, how are aliens and ghosts the same thing?

jimmymac

VIP Member
self centered? thanks lovely contribution to the discussion that

I've played, FEAR, i completed it, you really are spouting semantics by trying to analyse me putting in "normal people" when they are in fact clones! Come on do me a favour are you even looking into what im saying.

Im saying you are fighting your wondefully generic "soldier" type element from the start of the game, nothing too tough as the designers want you to think you can play this one happily.

I really think your missing the entire point to my sentiments, ghosts or aliens it doesnt matter. The point was you fight your normal generic "soldier" type first, then it becomes more difficult as you then fight some sort of super warrior (oooh could these be the ghosts/aliens) before coming up against some kind of supreme being thats hard as nails.

Its a generic script, its like the whole thing comes on a template.

I wonder if theres a book out "game designing for dummies"

"heres the template just add your own twist on to what each type of person is, those intial generics should be something reasonably simple so take you pick from soldiers, zombies, possessed humans. Simply add your next stage of enemy but they must be a bit harder, we suggest aliens or possibly supernatural beings. Follow this up with your finale, some useful ones of the past have been demonic beings, cybernetic humans or even demigods. Most will suit your gamers but dont forget to up those graphics or no sucker will ever buy it"

12-Gauge

"heres the template just add your own twist on to what each type of person is, those intial generics should be something reasonably simple so take you pick from soldiers, zombies, possessed humans. Simply add your next stage of enemy but they must be a bit harder, we suggest aliens or possibly supernatural beings. Follow this up with your finale, some useful ones of the past have been demonic beings, cybernetic humans or even demigods. Most will suit your gamers but dont forget to up those graphics or no sucker will ever buy it"

What would you prefer? A game were you launch flaming kittons at a giant orb made of brocoli? Games, in particular first person shooters, follow a formula because, more often than not, they are trying to be loosely plausible. I would say that they were trying to be realistic, but refrained for fear of sounding like graphics are all that matter.

jimmymac

VIP Member
What would you prefer? A game were you launch flaming kittons at a giant orb made of brocoli? Games, in particular first person shooters, follow a formula because, more often than not, they are trying to be loosely plausible. I would say that they were trying to be realistic, but refrained for fear of sounding like graphics are all that matter.

give me that game and i'll play it sir :D

i know that its a case of these games sell and to be fair if it aint broke then dont try to fix it. Which is fair enough.

I just miss the innovations where designers tried something different, experimented with what they were doing to give us something truly worth playing.

Perhaps i've been gaming too long and i'm beginning to get tired of it, who knows. I just resent the idea of paying so much for a game only to get very little out of it in the end

hey ho, maybe something will come up and surprise me :)

12-Gauge

hey ho, maybe something will come up and surprise me

In that case maybe there should be a game where you launch flaming kittons at a giant orb made of brocoli. A man can dream can't he.......:D

ADE

banned
Template, yes. its call 1st person and shooter. what you do in them is shoot things in the eyes of the shooter. Of coarse all of them are like that! what I'm trying to say is that you only talk about that they all look the same, and they work the same. well duh. The was it sounds is as if you don't even care about games. You cant seem to get past the point that it is what it says. FPS. You cant honestly tell me that the story line is not at all different. Yes you will always shot things and make stuff go boom. If you think that's all there is too it, then maybe you shouldn't be playing games. And if you think graphics are all what gamers care about, look at Halo. Suck ass graphics but damn good game play. There is always a bigger meaning to is. The stories unfolds. no shit that template can go like that sometimes, but you fail to see as why those things your fighting are there. They have a purpose. There is a story to be told, and each character has their purpose. In F.E.A.R. if you took away Alma and you brother, Paxten Feddle, it wouldn't have a story. there would be no clones. Harlem wayd would be a no body. the world wouldn't end. You see, there is a story. and sure the way you do things can seam to be the same. Run and gun rught? Wrong. How about Splinter Cell? None of that there. You do judge by the cover. Until you read the book, you wont know what its about. And therefore you look as though all books are the same. In reality, you fail to see that they're not.

The stories are not the same, and that's what makes them unique.

Last edited: