dead system?

Kesava

well lately my cpu has been running quite hot, not sure of the actual temps, but the fan has been running way too loud.

yesterday my system froze up and the picture like teared... cant really explain it more, except there was rather horrible screeching coming from my speakers, not the little mobo speaker. anyway i had to unplug it from teh wall to turn it off.

after turning it back on it worked mostly fine except every now and again it would freeze up for a second or 2 and teh cpu fan would spin pretty hard.
but didnt happen that often so i didnt think much of it.

this morning i went out and left my compyter running. came home just now and it looked fun but was frozen up. had to unplug it from the wall. plugged it back in and would start. fans started on full bore. nothing after that. no display. didnt get teh good beep from that mobo that usually happens. wouldnt work.

so i took the cpu out and checked it out. blew away any dust and stuff and re-applied thermal paste. put it all back togetherl... nothing. not even a bios screen. like the fans come on at full speed. nothing else.

messed around with the ram and gfx card to see if they were the problem. nothing.

so is it my cpu?
also, sometimes my cpu fan wouldnt start till like just after it had booted into windows. it was trying to spin but didnt seem to have the power. it always would eventually tho
next question.

i guess im gonna buy a new cpu tomorrow.

E2160 or E2180?

the e2180 is 15 bucks more.

worth it?

ill probably overclock either one to like 2.5 ghz anyway.

thanks guys :)

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
If it was simply the cpu the board would have most likely sounded an alert with a constant beeping or visual cpu failure message onscreen. It sounds like the cpu took the board along with it! I've that before when someone ignored monitoring temps and then sold a dead cpu to a friend who also saw a board go doa from a dead cpu.

Kesava

yes i understand that.

but how can i test?

if i buy a new cpu and put it in will a dead mobo stuff it up?

PC eye

banned
Your mention of the cpu fan not starting until at the desktop shows right there a hot cpu and no default beep or keyboard leds blinking? Another cpu if onhand would show if the board is still worth saving. Otherwise the news won't be so good.

On the other hand if the cpu managed to survive from running hot something on the board like bad caps simply caused the problems before letting go. Try a close look at the caps on the board itself to see if the tops of those are bulged any or you see anything that looks like fluid under any of them.

The two links here show some different types of leaky capacitors and how to tell if you are seeing those there. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague and http://www.analogrules.com/badcaps.html

Kesava

the mobo would give me warnings when the cpu fan wasnt running.

ill check the board.

but will i be able to return it for warranty if it is indeed dead?

and will a new cpu be damaged if i test it in the dead mobo?

thankyou.

im feeling so worried at the moment :(

PC eye

banned
If the board was just bought as of late you can try returning it for an exchange, refund, or credit for a different model. If the board is toast nothing will be seen even with a new cpu installed since the board isn't turning on.

Testing a good cpu on a board gone bad won't see much but the thermal paste and time there. On the other hand a bad cpu can hurt a good board at times. You are going to caught in a bind either way unfortunately without a working board to test the cpu on.

Kesava

oh i can test my cpu on a working board.

ill do that then.

i bought the mobo about a month or 2 ago. so stilll under warranty.

Kesava

ok i booted up the cpu in my old mobo. and it worked... got past the bios and couldnt detect the harddrive. cos there isnt one in there.

this means that the mobo is the problem, and i can return it for warranty?

are there any further tests i can do on my mobo? just to make sure?

thanks

Kesava

anyone?

i dont think i can find a cpu to test the mobo with and i dont want to return it for warranty without fully knowing what the problem is.

PC eye

banned
ok i booted up the cpu in my old mobo. and it worked... got past the bios and couldnt detect the harddrive. cos there isnt one in there.

this means that the mobo is the problem, and i can return it for warranty?

are there any further tests i can do on my mobo? just to make sure?

thanks

The lack of a cpu fan warning and getting past the first post screen points at the board as the problem. As far as the warranty you would have to contact the vendor directly and see if they will still exchange a bad board for you. That's you and them at this point. Each vendor has their own return policies.

Kesava

ok ill call them today.

only thing is, it probably came with some kind of invoice/reciept, and i dont think i have it. would that be a problem? like surely there would be proof seeing as i bought and paid for it online.

PC eye

banned
The invoice would have the order number and other information needed. They also have to provide you with a return authorization number you add to the shipping label when sending it back to them. Without the needed informatio?

Kesava

well they said just to send it back with a note of the order number and problem.

another problem tho. while removing the mobo from my case i slightly bent 2 of the cpu socket pins. ill obviously mention this in the note i write them, but will thiss affect my warranty? if i tell them that they were damaged by me removing the mobo then it wont stop my from claiming warranty for the actual problem will it?

PC eye

banned
If you bent pins on the cpu itself you now have another problem. I wouldn't have made any reference on it if it was only seen on the board since that will likely be sent back to the manufacturer or simply tossed in the trash can.

All you are doing there is adding to the problem. If anything they could turn around and state that was why you were seeing problems with the board in the first place. They will most likely simply ship a replacement to keep the customer happy however.

Kesava

so what would you suggest i do?

my cpu doesnt have pins. the pins in the cpu socket are the ones im talking about.
so do i just not mention anything?
but then they will just say that it was the cpu pins that caused it. and that would be my fault and i wouldnt get a replacement.

so what is my best option?

PC eye

banned
I would simply return the board if they will exchange it without specifying that some of the pins were bent while trying to remove the cpu unless they make their own inquiry which they will probably won't since they'll likely figure you bend them when removing the cpu anyways. The idea is simply to get the board exchanged for one that works while the warranty is still good.

Kesava

i said on the note that i want it exchanged for a new one or else ill buy another one locally.
hopefully they wont ask questions and just exchange it.

anyway thanks for the help :)

PC eye

banned
Good luck anyways! Hopefully they will simply take it back as a defective board and send you a replacement without any real fuss. But let us know how things go anyways.