dead system?

Kesava

ill have a whinge and say that i didnt go anywhere near the cpu before it started stuffing up. and any damage to the socket must have been from afterwards. ill add that im living out on the street and need the mobo for a computer so i can write up my grandma's will.

maybe they will feel bad and not complain.

anyway yeah. i posted it off today. will take like a week to get there, and another 2 for them 2 return it if defective. but anyway.

PC eye

banned
You'll have to a little more cautious from now on when going to remove any cpu so that won't happen to you again. But I seriously doubt they will be making a big fuss on a defective board but simply ship out a replacement. At least the newer boards coming out are starting to see solid state not liquid filled capacitors on those.

Kesava

yeah the mobo did have solid state ones.

gigabyte P31.

something else that i need help with.
will i need to resinstall the OS? seeing as it will use all the same drivers.

Instinct5

i see that you have overclocked your CPU is there a way they can find out if you did that or not? Cause if they find out you overclocked your warranty will be voided

Kesava

lol yeah it was a good thought.

but to be honest i doubt they will give me a new one. so i am planning just to buy a new one.

is there any other board that would be better?

i have $AU120 to spend.

Asus P5K-SE

how does that compare?

PC eye

banned
Asus is one of the top contenders while they still see a few bad boards at times like everyone else. Sorry to that solid state caps if that's what went were on that model board since bad "liquid" caps have more or less been a problem for some time.

In fact there's one older site devoted to the subject. http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=2

As far as XP you will probably need at least a repair install to see Windows reactivated. When the first board on the recent build here let go after only 3 days XP saw a full reinstall while MS got a call for Vista. Lately Vista finally saw a full clean install now in a multi boot with XP and Mandriva.

Kesava

ok well ill just fresh install. at least that way i can use a decent system with my old mobo. right now im on a 733mhz cpu. not fun at all :)

Kesava

well, i put my parts together and booted it up. didnt have to reformat so im loving it.
just had to install network drivers.

i guess if i dont get a new one free then ill just keep this setup for now.

Kesava

well my cpu is still not right i dont think.

sometimes when i start up it is really loud. usually running at like 80-100% full speed.

sometimes when i start its silent. like i cant hear anything at all. but if i look in the case it is spinning.

this time it started silent and then went to full and its staying there.

its like its using smartfan but something is definately wrong.

when i go to india, in a month or so, im gonna try and get an E8200. but yeah. until then, i need to figure this out

PC eye

banned
When you tossed the cpu on the older board did you inspect the insides in case everything needs a good cleaning? The loud startup is likely from the different bios now seeing the cpu fan, if the same one, now speeding up more then seen on the board that just went. Just keep a good eye on the temps if possible.

Kesava

something is wrong with the temp sensors. even in the bios they are like 21 haha. for a pentium d with stock cooling and stuff. i will re-apply TP when i get the chance.

but also, i dont have any case fans. which is a problem. cos the 120mm ones i usually use are in my good case. and dont fit in this one.

PC eye

banned
Ouch! That will be hot to touch! Nothing bests the sensors for reliability. That will render any 3rd party program useless as well as the shutdown temp if manually set.

Cooling the board as much as possible will help. To keep everything from cooking again you will probably need to leave the side cover off and point a fan inside if possible.

Kesava

i could have an extra side fan.... help the cpu. will that do it?

by the way i ment 21*C which isnt the correct temp.

PC eye

banned
Keeping the internal temps down for the board as well as other hardwares will greatly help in seeing the cpu temps kept as low as you can get them there. Anything you can do like adding a side fan instead of removing the side cover in order to get as much air flow going will be a plus there.

Kesava

ok so i now have the cpu HSF and side fan to cool the cpu. i reckon the actual temp is probably around about 40*C.

other then that theres nothing in the way of intake/exhaust fans...

i might put one in tomorrow if i can find one.

basically im just hoping to have this last for about a month and a half. by then i should have got an E8200 and hopefully a replacement P31 mobo in about 2-3 weeks

PC eye

banned
With a fresh application of thermal paste the cpu will generally run warmer since you now have to allow for the breakin period too. You'll probably find that the cpu temp will be closer to 50C for the next few days with a more accurate reading until base of the compound or paster used starts to see a good bond take place. Just the same go easy with it until you can get into something better.

Kesava

how long?

the guy i called up said 2 weeks... plus about a week for it to get to them.. i didnt send it via express post.

so 3 weeks from now?

im planning on leaving for india on like the 6th of april. as long as i get it by then :)