dead system?

PC eye

banned
It will be close if the board was already sent back. If you still have to send it out you'd better move fast to see the replacement before the 9th. But if you shipped it out at the end of the week you see the new one by the end of March still cutting close by a week or so.

Kesava

well i send it out...

but then it was the weekend. and today is a public holiday. so it wil start moving tonight.

PC eye

banned
If things go well you are looking at the first week of April by counting 3/10 as the start date. 21 days would then see 3/31/2008. In additional to shipping time the time for processing has to be added in as well. Give or take a day or so for that.

Kesava

ok well ill aim for leaving on the 13th or so.
im gonna go for my passport interview tomorrow. and go to the travel place (suddenly cant remember what they are called haha)

PC eye

banned
Since you already have it on the way only shipping delays would snag seeing it get there or delay the replacement board once they ship that out. If everything holds to the time table you'll see the new one allowing a week or so there. It still will be close while vendors usually take of things promptly to keep a good rep.

Kesava

ok well i hope so.

i think my cpu is gonna kill this mobo too haha. it keeps having some small problems like the other one did. no major freezes yet. but we'll see.

when i go to india, ill probably not have that long to shop around for a cpu. as we will have to leave the optimum place to buy it and head for home, as my dad lives a good 6 hours away from the airport. so basically i need to know which cpu i want to get.

i would like an E8200, but its quite possible that it wont be in stock, is it the cheapest 45nm cpu?
basically im looking at a 45nm cos i know they run pretty cool, stock heatsinks are like half the size of the older ones are they not?
anyway where ill be living, outside temps will get to around 45*C.
inside with air conditioning it wont be so bad. but a 45nm is gonna run the coolest.

so E8200 is my 1st preference,
whats the price like compared to a q6600?
and an E6750.

as those 2 will be more easily available i reckon.

PC eye

banned
You are buying in a totally different market there. I all can do here is post links from US vendors so you see what to expect for a difference pricewise but not actual for where you will be buying from. I suggest looking at what is seen where you can order from to see what they would charge on each.

Hopefully you will look around for a better case to put everything into and maybe a good 3rd party cpu cooler as well as seeing better air flow inside a new case. In a typically warm environment it won't matter which cpu you buy if the temps are continually warm. Cooling in general should be the first thing then go for the preferred model cpu.

Kesava

they sell pretty much everything at slightly less then it costs here in australia. so probably around about the same as in the US.

i have a decent case with 2 120mm cooling fans. ill also get an aftermarket heatsink when i get the new cpu. for the moment im leaning towards the E8200 and a Q6600 if that isnt available.

PC eye

banned
All you can do is take advantage of the price savings while there to go for the best you can find available that will suit your own needs not anyone else's. A good 3rd party cpu cooler does help once the rest is working for you like seeing the 120s and not simply some old case with only one 80mm rear fan and no vents like some are.

There you are deciding between a dual core and quad core cpu. Which will work best for your system will depend on what the system is used for.

Kesava

yeah well i do a fair bit of multitasking i guess. i like to have lots of programs doing stuff even while i game. so probably a q6600 will do me. but ill see when i get there i suppose.

PC eye

banned
All you can do is see what your options are while being there and hopefully find the best one. Hope to hear some good news anyways!

Kesava

yeah well hopefully if i dont get warranty my dad will just buy me a new motherboard.
otherwise im stuffed haha

Kesava

when i take my system over, should i just take the essential parts? cpu mobo ram hard drive cd drive and so on? or should i keep everything in my bag and take the whole thing with me? this seems like a better idea, but i need a hard bag that will lock. dont want this to be stolen haha.

also has anyone ever flown on british airways? what kind of entertainment is there? gonna be a long flight haha

PC eye

banned
When traveling people generally prefer laptops for being compact and being able to use them while in flight. As far as British Airways ask someone like James Bond. He always seems to get around well. :p

Kesava

well im not taking it so i can use it on the aeroplane hahha. but i need to take is somehow. i guess ill see what luggage i can get. if i dont bring my case then i might be able to get my dad to buy me a nice one over there haha

PC eye

banned
If you are not planning to use the system there why lug the entire system around? It depends on how long you will be gone which doesn't seem like any lengthy period of time. But if you have the parts you can at least have something to do like assembling it? That will keep you busy for awhile. :p

Kesava

i dont think you understand haha. im not planning to use it on the aeroplane. i dont think they would let me :)

but ill be in india for around 10 months. so i will be wanting it. takes like 5 minutes to put the parts together haha.

then takes me a further hour to arrange teh cables neatly.

PC eye

banned
I know you can't use a desktop case while in flight. But once you are on the ground you will have something to run while you are there. Of course taking it complete until finding a new case will save assembly time and still see a system to run.

Kesava

but i dont need a new case...

the one i have is like 2 months old and i like it.

its just a matter of fitting it in a bag...