dead system?

PC eye

banned
You will also need a monitor too. A caryying bag or packaging it up like freight for shipping? Since that would go into a cargo hold you have to pack it foam or another shipping material like you would anything else.

Those decisions have to made at your end as to how it will go along with you or shipped ahead to an address for later pickup if you have one available. By the sounds of it the later wouldn't apply there however.

Kesava

yeah i think ill use the box my case came in and jsut put my tower in that with foam. and tape it up like theres no tomorrow.

i know that doesnt make sense. but basically im gonna use a whole lot of tape haha. so no one can steal it cos it will take too long to unwrap. unless they take the whole thing. btu im gonna have to risk it..
the monitor ill wrap up so it doesnt get smashed and then put it in with the rest of my clothes and stuff.

Kesava

yeah i will... although i dont think im taking my case anymore. ill just chuck the parts in antistatic bags and protect them with my clothes. when i get over there ill buy a new case and cpu and stuff.

PC eye

banned
While shopping around you may come across a case you may like even more then the current in use now. Who knows?! :p

You won't want to forget the supply as well as the rest when wrapping up the individual items however. For shipping however it is generally far easier to leave it assembled in one shipping carton that will be inspected by the way then worrying about forgetting this or that once you arrive to your destination.

Kesava

yeah ill try for a nzxt apollo or something.

what were you saying about the power supply?

anything i dont bring i can just buy over there. but ill bring everything except the case.

what about inspection? will they want to open it and have a look at everything?

PC eye

banned
You better plan on inspection when going to travel anywhere you have to go through customs automatically. Don't be surprised when they run everything through an X-Ray machine as well.

As for the supply you mentioned board, cpu, and memory without anything about mouse, keyboard, monitor, forget case, and the one other thing a working power supply once you did go for another case. Of course that would also be your opportunity to go for a better one if that comes up.

Kesava

oh right. well basicallly its gonna depend on how big my bag is...

ill most likely take:

cpu (to be thrown out almost instantly and replaced by an E8200)

mobo (which will still be brand new in box from warranty exchange i hope)

ram (brand new 2 gig i just got)

mouse (just in case, ill get a new keyboard as, even tho i love my current one, i would like a new one with less missing buttons :D)

psu (antec earthwatts which should last me a while, ill get a corsair hx520 modular when i replace it haha)

monitor (viewsonic 19" which is still big enough for me)

graphics card (8800GT should be lovely for like 6 months until i upgrade to 3x 3870x2's in tri sli. which probably isnt possible but anyway)

hard drive (small 80 gig, but still all i need...)

cd drive (dvd burner blah blah, perfectly good)

so in shorter form. the whole setup except case :D

most likely ill take my 8800GT and Ram and Motherboard on the plane with me in carry on luggage. they are my best parts and i dont wanna risk losing them.

would there be any problems? like might i not be allowed to for soem reason? could ram be used as a weapon?

PC eye

banned
If you still have the original container for the memory put it in that if removed from the board. Most likely that would be placed in the overhead above if there's no problems with security.

Things have changed quite a bit since I was last on any plane. When asked to jump you would simply ask: "how high? SIR!".

Kesava

haha ok yeah ill probably leave it in the motherboard so it travels safetly with that in its box.

PC eye

banned
Just remember that all that will be inspected when leaving as well as when arriving in both directions. You have to take that into account when going to pack your things there.

PC eye

banned
They will tear it open for any carry ons! If you close it up entirely with packing tape instead of criss crossing the flaps you will need retape things all over again after each stop along the way in both directions.

Kesava

so thats just for onboard luggage?

i reckon ill take the mobo box with the mobo and ram and gfx card in it
not taped up. so they can check it. should be fine right?

PC eye

banned
Once you get there anything you carry on will be gone through where having it all together in the board's box will be a good idea since you can carry things easier. If you are planning to bring the supply and monitor you will need a box to hold both of those too. Simply folding the flaps to cross link themselves rather then using packing tape will save effort on those.

Kesava

well ill put the monitor and stuff in with my clothes. like ill cover most of the monitor in cardboard and bubblewrap..

PC eye

banned
The first thing you might want to do there if using a travel agency is contact them for information on how to pack things ahead of time. That can avoid delays. They can advise you better on any restrictions and such you may run into.