Extreme gaming pc? Or junk?

xxmorpheus

Hey guys, new to the board here. I just recently built my first pc. I wanted to get some opinions on the specs. This pc will be connected to a 46 inch stereoscopic 3d led monitor. (240hz refresh rate)

Here we go:

System Configuration :
AMD 64 CPU AM3 : AMD Phenom II X6 1075T 3.0GHz (Six Core) 45nm, AM3 6MB Cache

AMD 64 CPU Fans : AMD Black Edition Copper HeatPipe EXTRA QUIET fan

AMD 64 AM3 Motherboards : ASUS M4A89GTD PRO,890GX,onboard video,HDMI,Cross Fire, SATA3, USB 3.0, iEEE

DDR3 Dual Channel memory : 16GB (4x4GB) PC10600 DDR3 1333 Dual Channel

PCI-Express Video cards : ATI CrossFire Radeon HD 6850 1GB x2 Quad head, DVI, HDMI (2 cards)

Hard Drives : 1000.0GB Hitachi 7200RPM SATA2, UDMA 300 32m cache

Hard Drive Fans : Hard Drive Cooling Fan Aluminum Internal

DVD Recorders : LG Blu-ray Reader, 16x LightScribe DVD Recorder SATA combo drive

Sound Cards : Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)

Network Cards : Wireless 802.11 N 300MBs Network Card PCI

Cases : Apevia X-Dreamer 3 Black & Blue. front USB, eSATA, LCD temp.

Case Fans : Dual Case Fans 80 mm DC fan (two fans)

Power Supply : Thermaltake TR2 750W ultra quiet ATX Power Supply, SLI & X-fire ready

Operating Systems : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit DVD

Thoughts?

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldnt say "Extreme" But its a good setup,Six core,Plenty (But major overkill) ram, and decent x-fired cards. :)

Should have just stuck with 4 (Or 8 max) or 1600 or 2000Mhz ram,And invested in a SSD for your Operating system,as that 7200Rpm will always be slowing your system down.

Not sure on that case you choose though,Looks cheap and poor airflow.

Last edited:

spynoodle

Nice rig! :):good: You shouldn't have any trouble playing games, I would think that most all games will work fine with that rig. I would keep an eye on the hard drive, mainly because I've had a lot of issues with Hitachis around the 5 year mark. If you ever notice problems with your computer, run a sector scan with HDtune:
http://www.hdtune.com/download.html
If it finds one or more bad sectors, or has some bad reports in the S.M.A.R.T. health section, then you should run a chkdsk /f command in command prompt, reboot, and clone your current hard drive over to a new one using my guide:
http://www.computerforum.com/189534-how-clone-hard-drive.html
Your RAM is also a bit overkill, but that's not a problem, is it? :)

xxmorpheus

Thanks spy noodle! :) The pc will cost about 1675.00 USD. Normally, pre built computer companies sell a similar setup for 3500+. Do you think I can run crysis at 2560x1600? Any additional feedback is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

xxmorpheus

Dont exactly know what you would define as overkill... Arent gaming computers supposed to have breathing room to perform tasks?

Drenlin

Apevia cases are pretty good..

Actually, most apevia cases are pretty bad...they usually have little to no cable management, fairly poor airflow, and gaudy plastic bits all over them. Their average build quality is pretty low. The one in quesitons actually wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't completely lacking a front fan, though it'd still be overpriced. The side fan on it will also likely interfere with large CPU coolers....keep that in mind.

For a cheap case, the best ones usually come from NZXT, with some decent ones from a few other companies mixed in...mostly based on the same chassis as the NZXT ones. In particular, the NZXT Gamma and Beta EVO are exceptional cases for their price. The M59 is also close in price, and is basically a fancy Gamma with a side window. Rosewill also has very good cases for the price, but you can only get them from Newegg.

The one major issue I see with this build is the power supply. The only Thermaltake power supplies really worth buying are the "Toughpower" line...the rest of them are mostly junk, including the TR-2's. What other options are available to you?

The hard drive could also be better. For a high performance rig like this, spend a little extra and get either a Samsung Spinpoint F3 or a Western Digital Caviar Black.

Last edited:

xxmorpheus

Ok, so I requested to switch the case to a Thermaltake v9 black edition with 230mm side fan, changed the power supply to 750w corsair ATX, and the hard drive to a 1TB western digital black 7200rpm. Thoughts? This is a big investment and i want to get it right the first time. Thanks for the feedback! :)

dave1701

I would say that's mighty extreme. I just upgrade my computer to my sig. 6 cores? I'm still baffled by 2.

xxmorpheus

I would say that's mighty extreme. I just upgrade my computer to my sig. 6 cores? I'm still baffled by 2.

This easily the most powerful computer I have ever owned. Im stilll trying to figure out what kind of performance I can expect with games like crysis. Thoughts? Ill post pics once it is assembled. Do you guys think ill be good with a 46 inch 3d tv by samsung? It has 240 hz refresh rate.

xxmorpheus

Nice antec cases! My builder advised me that the thermaltake case is fine tho. The apevia was too cheap for my liking.

spynoodle

Which 1tb Caviar Black did you choose? The one with 64 megs of cache, the WD1002FAEX, is much faster than the WD1001FALS. This is not because of the minor increase in cache. It's because the FAEX uses 500gb platters, and the FALS uses 250gb platters (or maybe 320gb? I can't remember which). Either way, the FAEX performs far faster. If you want to save some $$$ but still want performance comparable to the FAEX, get the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb that I have in my sig:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...185&cm_re=Spinpoint_F3-_-22-152-185-_-Product

Okedokey

Yeah look great computer mate.

I would like to see less RAM and a nice quality ssd hard drive back up by a 1TB F3 by samsung. Just MO.

Less heat, noise and much much faster.