Extreme gaming pc? Or junk?

xxmorpheus

Hey guys, Im having a serious problem with the crossfire setup. gpu z indicates that the cards are linked as does catalyst controller. pretty much all settings are maxed on catalyst controller. ati overdrive is disabled. heres a pic of what i mean.

Last edited:

xxmorpheus

Oh, I would like to add that i have catalyst 11.2, and that 3d mark 11 said that it was not compatible with my driver.... the driver package is Driver Packaging Version 8.821-110126a-112962C-ATI , and it mentioned that it wasnt compatible with my driver, which 3d mark 11's website said it was 8.821.0.0

xxmorpheus

Also the really really weird thing is I can run metro 2033 with everything absolutely maxed out.... I must be reading something wrong.

StrangleHold

Staff member
The cards drivers will power down the memory and GPU clocks when its not under load.

3DMark 11 has problems like that.

xxmorpheus

Its running oblivion very choppy at 1920x1080 with ultra high settings and HDR enabled...... but metro 2033 runs fine at 1920x1080 16x AF with advanced depth of field and tessellation. were talking easily 65+ FPS, even in intense lighting situations. Crysis runs also at around 60+ fps with everything on ultra high, at 1920x1080.... ive also heard that oblivion makes even the mightiest of computers chug along....

Drenlin

^ Metro and Crysis both use more resources than Oblivion. My single 5770 can max oblivion, easily. Something's wrong there. Maybe it doesn't like the crossfire setup?

Try disabling crossfire in Oblivion and see what it does. The extra card isn't adding any noticeable performance anyway.

xxmorpheus

Thing is though, crysis runs choppy at 1920x1080 at max settings as well. I find it hard to believe that 2gb of ram is not enough on these cards..... the tech is gonna call me to fine tune the cards tomorrow. if all else fails im going to dual 2gb cards.

xxmorpheus

I didnt like really what I read about those 6850 cards when it comes to crossfire, so I swapped out those two cards for two xfx radeon 2gb 6950's, are these cards a significant improvement?

Drenlin

You...changed them out for the same card? :confused:

You know that most all of those are reference boards, right? There's very little difference between them, if any at all.

MSI Afterburner is a good program to overclock with. It's pretty simple to do...just keep inching the frequencies up a bit and playing something like Crysis or Metro to see if it's stable. Once you start seeing artifacts or other errors, then back off a bit. you can also use MSI Kombustor, which comes with afterburner, but it's basically the same as Furmark and creates unrealistically high loads on your GPU. If you have voltage control, you can inch that up as well to get a bit more out of it, but be careful with that...especially if you've unlocked it to a 6970.

Frame buffer size isn't your problem here, btw...2GB is plenty.

xxmorpheus

no, i had 2x 1gb cards, and im swapping them for 2x 2gb cards.. Is there a dummies guide to unlocking a 6950 to a 6970?????

Drenlin

Ah, missed that bit.

There's probably a guide somewhere...I imagine OCN or [H] will have one somewhere. There may even be one here, but I haven't found it.

xxmorpheus

Guys, Im having a problem where I have 6950's in crossfire mode, and only one card is getting hot. One card gets up to 65C the other stays at 30. GPU-z and ati catalyst say crossfire is on.... Please helpppppp

xxmorpheus

Guys, Im having a problem where I have 6950's in crossfire mode, and only one card is getting hot. One card gets up to 65C the other stays at 30. GPU-z and ati catalyst say crossfire is on....