Extreme gaming pc? Or junk?

Drenlin

Looks good to me.

As for playing Crysis in particular, you should be able to max it out. The CPU will probably be the bottleneck since it's an older game. Best I can tell, it was originally coded for dual cores, and limited quad core support was coded in somewhere during development. It won't use all 6 cores, sadly. However, quite a few newer games will indeed use all of your CPU power.

Last edited:

dave1701

It probably, but I really don't think it matters. I think you will be good with max settings on both of those games.

spynoodle

Nice choice with the WD1002FAEX. It's one of the fastest 7200rpm drives. If you haven't already bought your CPU, you might want to consider going with the Intel Core i5 2500k, but if you have, it's not too big of a deal. ;)

xxmorpheus

Thanks spynoodle. Yeah the FALS model has a 32m cache. I made sure I got the 64m model. Do you guys think I will be ok at 2560x1600 on a 3d tv?

xxmorpheus

Since my motherboard is sata 3 ready, and the hard drive is also sata 3 with 64 megs cache, I think that should be pretty fast. Thoughts?

spynoodle

Since my motherboard is sata 3 ready, and the hard drive is also sata 3 with 64 megs cache, I think that should be pretty fast. Thoughts?
When it comes to program load speed, you'll be blazing fast. ;) Sata 3 is really only taken advantage of with SSDs, so it doesn't matter much, even with the FAEX. It will still be ridiculously fast, though. :)

About Crysis, here's a link that will give you an idea of how fast it should run:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom-ii-x6-1055t-1090t-review/16
VERY fast. :D

linkin

VIP Member
If you want the best setup it's always better to order the parts you want and build it yourself. Doesn't hurt the wallet as much either.

xxmorpheus

Thanks guys. Lets talk about fps, for a demanding game such as crysis, I wanna have the fps at 40+? Those processor tests are pretty impressive for the x6. Can someone link me to some crysis pics that can gimme an idea of what graphics cards can do? Thanks! Im running 2 1gb 6850 radeon x fire

xxmorpheus

Thats breathtaking.... And thats a 3 year old game... So basically I can expect photorealistic enviroments and clean polygons. Basically this blows away a gaming console. The draw distance is what is extremely impressive. Do you guys recommend any cpu or gpu overclocking?

Drenlin

Thats breathtaking.... And thats a 3 year old game... So basically I can expect photorealistic enviroments and clean polygons. Basically this blows away a gaming console. The draw distance is what is extremely impressive.
Welcome to PC gaming. :)

I dunno about "photorealistic", but a lot of games get pretty darned close. Check the previews for "Batman: Arkham City".

Do you guys recommend any cpu or gpu overclocking?
Only if you find a game that you can't run as fast as you'd like, which I doubt. Although, if you just want bragging rights, that's ok too.

salvage-this

I would think that you would be good for more than a year with that setup. most games are quite a bit easier to run than Crysis.

Drenlin

Any other recommendations for any other eye candy filled games for this rig?
Most anything that run DirectX 11 and can use Tessellation will look amazing with it enabled. Be warned, though; some of them can bring even the mightiest system to its knees. Go look up some videos of Metro 2033 to see what I mean.