Extreme gaming pc? Or junk?

spynoodle

Whats dx11?
Dx11 stands for DirectX 11. It's a sort of software API that games run on. It's made by Microsoft, and there's been a new version of it in the past few versions of Windows. XP has DX9, Vista has DX10, and 7 has DX11. With each version, games look more realistic with cards that support it. The Radeon 5000 series and the Radeon 6000 series support DX11. The Geforce GTX 400 series and the Geforce GTX 500 series also support DX11. OpenGL is the open-source alternative to DirectX.

Last edited:

xxmorpheus

Thanks Spy Noodle. So DX 11 support has the tessellation? Im not sure how it works. I looked at some youtube videos, but I couldnt really see what tessellation does.

salvage-this

I am fairly certain that Tessellation allows for more triangles to be used while making an object. All that really does is give you a better quality image. The developers can put a lot more detail into their environments.

A little over half way down there are pictures comparing images with and without tessellation. That should give you a better idea of how it changes the image.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/11/06/unigine_heaven_benchmark_dx11_tessellation

If you want to see a video of it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkKtY2G3FbU

Hope that explains it a bit better.

Drenlin

Dx11 stands for DirectX 11. It's a sort of software API that games run on. It's made by Microsoft, and there's been a new version of it in the past few versions of Windows. XP has DX9, Vista has DX10, and 7 has DX11. With each version, games look more realistic with cards that support it. The Radeon 5000 series and the Radeon 6000 series support DX11. The Geforce GTX 400 series and the Geforce GTX 500 series also support DX11. OpenGL is the open-source alternative to DirectX.

Vista has DirectX 11 as well.

I am fairly certain that Tessellation allows for more triangles to be used while making an object. All that really does is give you a better quality image. The developers can put a lot more detail into their environments.

Yep, but it's a little more than that. Tessellation, in this case, is a technology that can take an existing wireframe model and add detail to it (more triangles) without the artist doing anything. The artist doesn't actually draw all of those triangles.

Last edited:

xxmorpheus

Here is my final build before purchase. (i know that is a budget keyboard and mouse, lol I just ordered a razer gaming mouse, backlit keyboard and mouse pad :) Is that a decent PSU? Someone told me corsair PSU are cheap.... @.@ Ill look up some reviews...

System Configuration :
AMD 64 CPU AM3 : AMD Phenom II X6 1075T 3.0GHz (Six Core) 45nm, AM3 6MB Cache

AMD 64 CPU Fans : AMD Black Edition Copper HeatPipe EXTRA QUIET fan

AMD 64 AM3 Motherboards : ASUS M4A89GTD PRO,890GX,onboard video,HDMI,Cross Fire, SATA3, USB 3.0, iEEE

DDR3 Dual Channel memory : 16GB (4x4GB) PC10600 DDR3 1333 Dual Channel

PCI-Express Video cards : ATI CrossFire Radeon HD 6850 1GB x2 Quad head, DVI, HDMI (2 cards)

Hard Drives : 1000.0GB Western Digital Black 7200RPM SATA 3 6.0Gb/s 64m cache

Hard Drive Fans : Hard Drive Cooling Fan Aluminum Internal

DVD Recorders : LG Blu-ray Reader, 16x LightScribe DVD Recorder SATA combo drive

Sound Cards : Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)

Network Cards : Wireless 802.11 N 300MBs Network Card PCI

Cases : Thermaltake V9 Black Edition , 230mm side fan, fron USB

Case Fans : Dual Case Fans 80 mm DC fan (two fans)

Power Supply : Corsair 750W ultra quiet ATX Power Supply, SLI & X-fire ready

Keyboards : Logitech Wireless Desctop MK300 Keyboard & Optical mouse combo black

Operating Systems : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit DVD

salvage-this

16gb!? What are you going to do that requires that much? Take it down to 8gb at least. If this is just a gaming computer you only really need 4gb.

+1 for Corsair having great power supplies.

xxmorpheus

is there any overclocking guides that you guys know of for this processor and gpu? Keep in mind im a n00b though. >.>

spynoodle

Its Rendition micron memory. Is that cheap ram?
It depends how you define "cheap." Some people like to buy really fast RAM (eg. ddr3 2100MHz) for when they overclock, but in terms of quality, Micron makes good RAM. I've been using some Micron memory (see sig) for quite a while now, actually. If you don't plan to overclock your CPU, then 1333MHz is as fast as your ram can go anyway (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) If you do overclock your CPU, then you'll benefit more from 8gb of 1600MHz RAM than 16gb 1333MHz.

spynoodle

Cheap as in low quality. Does anyone know the requirements for max settings on crysis?
Check this link:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-review/19
I don't know much about games, but supposedly that version runs smoother than the old one, so I'm not sure how well the original will run. Also check this link about running Crysis with crossfire:
http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=22423
It might be outdated, but it'll be useful if you can't get crossfire to work.

Drenlin

If you don't plan to overclock your CPU, then 1333MHz is as fast as your ram can go anyway (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) If you do overclock your CPU, then you'll benefit more from 8gb of 1600MHz RAM than 16gb 1333MHz.

Actually, on current AMD and Intel setups, there's an integrated memory controller on the CPU with its own multiplier, while the base clock is the same as the CPU's. You can run nearly any RAM at its rated speed without overclocking the CPU.

Drenlin

^ Awesome

And no, there's no need to update your GPU drivers every week. AMD releases drivers every month or so, but there's no need to update them unless the update either fixes a problem you're having or provides a huge perfrmance boost. If it 'aint broke, don't fix it. ;)

spynoodle

Actually, on current AMD and Intel setups, there's an integrated memory controller on the CPU with its own multiplier, while the base clock is the same as the CPU's. You can run nearly any RAM at its rated speed without overclocking the CPU.
So that's what DMI is all about. :) Thanks for the correction, I've still got a C2Q.
@OP: Good luck with the build! Make sure to add some glowing blue fans! :p