February Folding Marathon!

Jet

VIP Member
It's time for another folding marathon!! Already $65 in cash for prizes, as well as other free parts!

What
To promote and expand the Folding @ Home team and raise awareness about the fight against disease. It will be a Folding marathon until the end of February with give away prizes to any member that signs up and completes at least one work unit for team 44358.

To learn more about the cause
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Main

To see what Folding has done
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Papers
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-Diseases

To see Team and individual stats
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=44358

When
The Marathon will start NOW! and will end at 1200 GMT 1 March 2011.

How to participate
In order to be eligible, you must complete one WU in February, as well as posting the following in this thread:

-The fact that you want to be signed up for the marathon
-Your Folding name if different than your computer forum name
-If you do not wish to be eligible for the prizes.

I understand some members may not want the prizes, and there are people out there that really do want them. Once you have signed up...I will add you to the list of participants. I will track the stats of all members throughout the marathon. At the end of the marathon, I will check the stats of each member that signed up. If you have signed up and completed one work unit...your name will be entered into the list for the give away prizes. If anybody else would like to donate a prize send me a PM and I will add that item to the list. If you win a prize...YOU WILL PAY NOTHING! Shipping world wide will be covered me.

Example:
I'm in / Folding name- Jet/ I do or do not want prize

For information about how to set up clients:
http://www.computerforum.com/62246-folding-home-cf-official-discussion-thread-67.html#post1587256

There are experienced members who can help you getting a client running and working on a disease.

If you would like to add the team tag in your sig...

PHP Code:
Team Stats FOLDING FOR THE GOOD OF MANKIND :F@H Team 44358

You may never directly feel or witness the effects of your Folding efforts. Maybe not even your children. But...you are helping scientists chisel away at understanding the complex nature of diseases that kill tens of thousands per year world wide.

As a bonus, there will be a prize for the person whose contribution increases most from their January data to their February data! (ie, Buzz and I are out if you step up!)

Participants

voyagerfan99 -- qualified
ScottaLot -- qualified
innercx -- qualified
funkysnair -- qualified
dave1701 -- qualified (no points for the team, but still good :) )
Drenlin -- no points
zer0_c00l -- no points

Buzz1927 (no prize)
kobaj (no prize)
Jet (no prize)

Prizes

-120x120x38mm San Ace fan
-Creative Audigy sound card
-2x Thermal paste from Buzz1927!
-Two $10 cash prizes and One $25 cash prize (Donations from Scout, mep916, and Buzz1927!)

-In addition, the folder with the most improved points from January to February will receive $20!

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
I can't participate because my computer is out of business :(

Good luck everyone.

Jet, just a thought - why not make it like the last marathon where if you completed 1 WU, you are entered into a random draw? That way, the regular folders won't be at a disadvantage, and new members won't be at a massive advantage

Jet

VIP Member
I can't participate because my computer is out of business :(

Good luck everyone.

Jet, just a thought - why not make it like the last marathon where if you completed 1 WU, you are entered into a random draw? That way, the regular folders won't be at a disadvantage, and new members won't be at a massive advantage

I thought that was in there--thanks for pointing it out!

ScottALot

Scout said he was in, but he's not in the participant thing.

Also, in another thread I asked how to set up the 260 to fold. You told me to choose GPU1, but I can't find that option. I see machine ID, but I'm pretty sure that's something different.

Jet

VIP Member
Additional client parameters []? !!!IMPORTANT. If you're using the CPU/SMP client, put " -smp " here. If you are using multiple GPUs, put " -gpu 0 " on the first, " -gpu 1 " on the second, etc.

This is under advanced options, the very last one. Alternatively, you can create a shortcut, and then in the "Target" line, after the last ", type -gpu 0.

ScottALot

Still lost. I'm not using the console-looking one, just the program that looks like everyone else's. So in Additional Client Parameters ... do I put [-gpu 1], "-gpu 1", or -gpu 1? Do I change the Machine ID? I tried to do the shortcut trick, but there aren't any quotes in the shortcut target.

kobaj

VIP Member
I'm in the competition, my folding name is Kobaj, And as I won a prize last time I'll opt out this time to be fair :).

(Unless I win the most improved, then I'm in, hacha-cha-cha!)

Buzz1927

Digaredd
I'll put up another $15 to paypal prize, also got 2 syringes of TIM thermal paste (the latest version, very good), probably best as one prize for both.

Jet

VIP Member
People don't want free stuff, I guess...only three people interested in $65 in cash and other cool parts!

ScottALot

^Nope, better delete your post.

haha, just kidding Jet will put you in momentarily.
I got the F@H thing set up now, thanks to BBSK!

bomberboysk

I might have something here i can donate towards the pool, i'll take a look. My rig needs a new hdd at the moment though, so i can't do any folding.

funkysnair

VIP Member
ok so i have my i7 [email protected] folding and my new ati 5870 (sold the gtx460's)
my gpu is pinned at 99%-100% but cpu is only 28%.

in task manager the 8 bars representing the 8 threads i get this activity---\/

1- 90% activity+
2- no activity
3- 20% activity+
4- no activity
5- 30% activity+
6- no activity
7- no activity
8- 80% activity+

how can i get these cores all up to max?? seems like wasted cpu power - am i right in thinking the 4 threads that have no activity are not the actual cpu cores and the 4 with activity are the cores?