February Folding Marathon!

funkysnair

VIP Member
sorry lads i have dropped out - my electricity is costing a fortune...
got my own personal garden growing and 2 pcs full time its costing me £3 a day.

usually its less than £1pr day without my 600 watt light and pc running full tilt so im gonna have to drop it.

Jet

VIP Member
ha! If anyone with high electricity bills wants to donate money into keeping an SR-2 running where electricity is ~$.10 a kwh (~$50 a month), let me know!

Jet

VIP Member
If you did do this, what CPUs would you put in that beast? 5680s are like 1700$ a pop!

I saw 2 L5640s for $900 a week ago. Add in the motherboard, I already have 6x2GB DDR3 lying around, as well my current H50 dual loop wouldn't even need to be modified to cool 2 processors. Power supply would be the catch, unless I could run some sort of adapter for a second 8 pin CPU plug. Get in a good 100k-150k ppd for the team!

Drenlin

Woot! I got the f@h client to download a work unit over my phone's modem! I'm in, even if it's late in the game! :D

edit: it appears I spoke too soon...it won't upload the finished work. :(

Last edited:

CrayonMuncher

I've left my ps3 on for about 2 days now just folding :)

Gonna try to start using my computer again but I keep exiting it to much and it seemed to lose all the progress I'd made.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Desktop is shut down for the weekend. Will resume folding on Sunday night :)

ScottALot

cert.php

I'm thinking of selling the dedicated 260 and putting in something different and plugging my 9800GT as well (while it's sitting idle on my desk).

kobaj

VIP Member
:O! am I right in reading that after a whole month, only 5 people signed up, with 7 prizes?!

I'm going to have to change what I said earlier xD.

Just about a day left (2 if you're stingy) lets see how many points 44358 can get!

dave1701

Ahhhh. Dang it!!!! I accidentally left my computer running all weekend while I was away. And I didn't even have it folding. I could have gotten a ton.

I'm just happy my home put together PC didn't blow up and burn my house down.

Here's where I'm at. I know it doesn't hold a candle to anyone else's but a Pentium 3 and a weak dual core can only do so much.

cert.php

One question: Does the basic program cover dual cores, or do I need something different?

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
My desktop is just about to finish up another work unit.
Actual point count is 466,610
cert.voyagerfan99.466610.jpg

Last edited:

kobaj

VIP Member
*snip*

One question: Does the basic program cover dual cores, or do I need something different?

You need to either run the SMP console client with the -smp tag.

Or run two regular console clients, one as cpu id 0, the other as cpu id 1 (in two separate directories mind you).

If it's a weak dual core or only at 50% or something, don't bother with SMP, you'll complete units but not in enough time to get the points for it. SMP does give you more points per work unit if you do complete them on time however. Try both solutions and see which works best.

Jet

VIP Member
thank you to all who participated--I'll be looking through stats, etc. tonight!