[email protected]: CF Official Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Computer Chat' started by apj101, May 10, 2005.

1. Praetor

Praetor Administrator Staff Member

Although it should be noted that the while having a fast CPU to feed the GPU is nice, it is by FAR a second player for 90%+ of setups, i.e. my laptops can keep up with my secondary machines which have far faster chips, as for the number of cores, you dont need to buy a quad, if you're planning on doing GPU only folding (of course, there are other reasons to buy a quad, but dont let that be the primary).

2. mep916

mep916 Administrator Staff Member

Right. If you want to run only a GPU client, a stock clocked dual core would be sufficient. However, if you wanted to run SMP, or even SMP along with a GPU client (which I finally setup yesterday), an OC'd quad would be ideal.

3. Praetor

I dont even see why dualcore is necessary if you're running the GPU client. A clean single core rig is more than sufficient -- dont drink too much of the koolaid ;) The difference only "matters" once yiou get to the higher end.

4. Motoxrdude

Motoxrdude Active Member

How does the GPU client compare to a PS3?

5. Praetor

Well it depends on what card you're powering it with, I know the 260 and the 280 blow the PS3 to smithereens. In my opinion, unless you're really out there to save the world from <insert random condition here>, the GPU client is really all you need to run. The CPU client is miles behind and if you look at things from a points/day versus heat, theres no reason to run the CPU client.

My experience with the GPU client only extends down to the 8800GT, so I dunno, been way too long since I ran with the 19XX cards to compare.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  6. Motoxrdude

Motoxrdude Active Member

O ok cool. Yeah I stopped folding on my ps3. At 21 cents per kilowatt hour (which is generous because it gets up to about 35 cents typically), it would cost about $280 a year to run my ps3 non stop. Once i build a new pc i will run the gpu client because my computer will be on anyways.

7. mep916

True. I'm so used to discussing duals and quads, I often forget single cores exist. :)

Barcardi, actually. :p

8. Hyper_Kagome

Hyper_Kagome Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to fold with my PS3 lately... why? I DON'T KNOW! For some reason I can't find Folding @ Home anywhere on it anymore!

Ughhh.

9. kobaj

kobaj VIP Member

Hehe, I've only been having two of my family pc's folding and they have kept me in the top 20 for cf, nice!

Im thinking of making my main rig fold while Im asleep or something :D!

Keep up the good work guys!

10. Buzz1927

Buzz1927 Digaredd

It's at the bottom of the network things, I'm sure it's still there! :)

Oh, and it's changed names to playstation live, or something, crap..

11. mep916

Nice work, Kobaj. Our team is really kicking ass. If everyone with a G80 or better nVidia GPU, or even Radeon 38xx series or better card were folding, we'd be in the top 300 in no time. :D

Kagome-- Go to Network, scroll down and click on [email protected] (as Buzz stated). :)

12. Calibretto

Calibretto VIP Member

Is it possible to be on 2 teams? I'm debating between CF or Maximum PC.

EDIT: Went with CF :D

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  13. Vizy

Vizy New Member

let's put it this way:

If you join maximum PC's squad...your cf account would mysteriously disappear.

;)

14. Calibretto

Calibretto VIP Member

haha I was afraid that harsh consequences would occur :p

15. mep916

What clients are you using? You can run the SMP CPU client and the GPU client with your 9800GT. I'm running both at the moment without any issues.

16. Calibretto

Calibretto VIP Member

I'm running the version with the GUI, not through the console.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  17. Calibretto

Calibretto VIP Member

I just got a virus and it said it was from the [email protected]?????

The virus was called the Nutcracker Family...

18. Hyper_Kagome

Hyper_Kagome Well-Known Member

OH. The name changed. Okay. Thanks. Hah.

19. Calibretto

Calibretto VIP Member

Is my [email protected] working ok? It says "Attempting to get work packet" and it's been like that since yesterday...

20. Vizy

Vizy New Member

I hate to be Mr. Obvious, but, obviously you are being punished because you were doubtful of whether or not to join the CF squad.

:p

Really though, i have no idea. Just reinstall it. Did u follow all of jan's rules?