Folding@Home: CF Official Discussion Thread

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
So, if I don't quit/pause the client, are there going to be any conflicts, or does it just slow my games down? The only graphics-intensive (well, to this rig anyways) game I have is Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, others are along the lines of Red Faction which maxes out even on my lappy with Intel GMA w/o any lag, so...

Yup, you'll notice significant lag. When you go to play a game, definitely shut down or pause the client. I mean, try it out. On my end, I've inadvertently started games like Crysis and even CSS while running the GPU client and immediately had probs w/ lag.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, I've discontinued folding on my main rig, as I've noticed a significant increase in my electricity bill since moving into my new home. We're talking over 150% of what I typically paid in Sacramento. My previous utility company (SMUD), is a non-profit municipality, so they obviously charge the lowest rates. My new company, a publicly-held company, PG&E, charges higher rates on several baseline "tier" levels based on usage, so I haven't yet determined (although I'm close) whether or not my PC running F@H is the primary cause of my bill spike.

According to an electrical technician I hired, my PC is using anywhere between 520 - 888 kilowatt hours per month. The first tier baseline for my bill starts at 530 kw (which is considered normal usage for the average home), and to me, that's insane. Tomorrow, I should receive all the bills from my home in Sacramento so I can compare usage and rates between the two companies. My goal is to continue to run F@H at full throttle, but I will not do so if my rig does in fact use ~800 kw per month.

I'm still folding on my PS3 and P4 machines.

Last edited:

Respital

Unfortunately, I've discontinued folding on my main rig, as I've noticed a significant increase in my electricity bill since moving into my new home. We're talking over 150% of what I typically paid in Sacramento. My previous utility company (SMUD), is a non-profit municipality, so they obviously charge the lowest rates. My new comapny, a publicly-held company called PG&E, charges higher rates on several baseline "tier" levels based on usage, so I haven't yet determined (although I'm close) whether or not my PC running F@H is the primary cause of my bill spike.

According to an electrical technician a hired, my PC is using anywhere between 520 - 888 kilowatt hours per month. The first tier baseline for my bill starts at 530 kw (which is considered normal usage for the average home), and to me, that's insane. Tomorrow, I should receive all the bills from my home in Sacramento so a can compare usage and rates between the two companies. My goal is to continue to run F@H at full throttle, but I will not do so if my rig does in fact use ~800 kw per month.

I'm still folding on my PS3 and P4 machines.

Woah based on what i pay that's 56$ a month just to fold. :(

simpletron

I don't think it is possible for your computer to use 800+ Kwh. there is only 720 hours in a 30 day month, which means your computer is using more than 1,000 watts an hour. I can see it being more like 300 to 400 Kwh for 24/7 usage but not more. that is the same as your computer using ~ 400 to 550 watts.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it is possible for your computer to use 800+ Kwh. there is only 720 hours in a 30 day month, which means your computer is using more than 1,000 watts an hour. I can see it being more like 300 to 400 Kwh for 24/7 usage but not more. that is the same as your computer using ~ 400 to 550 watts.

That makes some sense. I'm not entirely sure what's going on. I recently received the usage/bill history from my previous home, and I've found that PG&E, my current utility company, does charge more. I also found that my electrical usage did increase (not sure if the increase is significant, however) after building my first rig in August of '07. BTW, the electrician doesn't believe that folding at home is the cause - most of the usage, in his opinion, is from my computer simply being on 24/7.

Respital

Mike i suggest comparing your rates to other companies as they mite be cheaper than yours and you could start folding again! :)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't there a law somewhere that there has to be 2 companies, so that one can't just make up a price?

No, not with utility companies. They're pricing is regulated by a state agency (CPUC), but they can act as a monopoly in certain areas. Same with cable companies.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Dam, well i tried. :(

Naw, that's cool. I appreciated it. Right now, I'm trying to determine the exact electrical usage of my PC on a 24/7 basis and see how much it's costing me monthly. I don't mind being with PG&E, as I have no choice, I'd just like to weigh the approximate cost and see if it's worth it.

It wouldn't be a problem if it were a tax deduction for charity. :D

Respital

Naw, that's cool. I appreciated it. Right now, I'm trying to determine the exact electrical usage of my PC on a 24/7 basis and see how much it's costing me monthly. I don't mind being with PG&E, as I have no choice, I'd just like to weigh the approximate cost and see if it's worth it.

It wouldn't be a problem if it were a tax deduction for charity. :D

That would be good but probably wont happen. :(

I'm sure there are some sort of meters somewhere right?

Like the kind to plug it into which plugs into the wall which tells you how much you use.

Kesava

I'm sure there are some sort of meters somewhere right?

Like the kind to plug it into which plugs into the wall which tells you how much you use.

Yeah I got one of them, it was a while ago but I think it was costing me around 20 cents per day to run my computer :)
Though it could have been more.

Kesava

I just picked it up at a hardware store. It monitored all the electricity that passed though the powerpoint/wall socket.
My computer and speakers and monitor used up around 175w or something haha. and I cant quite remember the exact figure that it would cost me, but it wasnt much.
It's interesting to see just how much your using though.

just a noob

how does this motherboard look for folding on:
Destoryer_image.png
i was considering buying 4 8800gs's/9800gt's to go on that, how many ppd do 8800gt's/9800gt's bring in? was considering putting a phenom 2 on there along with that

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Jan

how does this motherboard look for folding on:
Destoryer_image.png
i was considering buying 4 8800gs's/9800gt's to go on that, how many ppd do 8800gt's/9800gt's bring in? was considering putting a phenom 2 on there along with that

Hi, I have not been here for months, unfortunately. However, to answer your question. It should be a solid board for folding. As to the gfx cards you aim to get, I am not sure how fast they can fold. I am sure it would be impressive. As to the processor, I think it will do more than well.

JAN :D