Folding@Home: CF Official Discussion Thread

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I have a 6870 as my main GPU. I also have a spare 9800GT I plan on toying with for PhysX. How can I make it (the 9800GT) a dedicated folding card?

Aastii

VIP Member
Can someone please explain this:

I've had my GTX 260 folding in the background non-stop. On the team page, it says I'm ranked 4th but with only 495 ppd, yet I've got 3.5k ppd on my user page :confused:

Aastii

VIP Member
Maybe it means all-time? So continuing folding with that dedicated card would probably jack that ppd up.

well 2 years was my first and I only had something like 4k ppd total before then I think, so even with that extra now, it would actually only be 20-30 ppd or something, not a few hundred

lucasbytegenius

I won't be folding for a while, just to let you all know. The machines at my friends house have been exhibiting issues, such as burning smells, and I can't afford to keep them running where I live now.
If I could, I would continue with this project, but right now it's just not possible for me.
I think I contributed a fair amount, so I don't think I slacked when I was folding.

I will be removing the status and link from my sig for the time being. It was fun, guys, it was fun.

ScottALot

cert.php

Jet

VIP Member
What ever happened to the February folding prize? Not a big deal at all, just wondering.

Yea--I've been really bad at it. Before I was working full time, dropping off at the post office just meant hopping out sometime during the day and dropping it off--now that I work when the post office is open, I've been having a hard time finding a time to do it. I got voyager's out because I was home on break...I thought I had the fan with me, then I couldn't find it in the car.

It would be simpler for me to send you some cash through paypal--if that would work, you could pick up the fan online somewhere or else get something else.

Aastii

VIP Member
6 months since the last folding marathon... anyone else feel like we need one, maybe even make it a biannual thing ;)

Don't want it to be like the November 09 - February 11 think, where it was over a year :p. Annual I can understand, but that is too long without raising participation

Last edited:

NyxCharon

So i just set my laptop and desktop up for this. :good:
Desktop just kinda idles these days, so might as well put it to use, and i have more cpu then i need in my laptop so why not.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Been making sure my machine is stable before I start folding again. I'm gonna start up another marathon after the semester ends.

FuryRosewood

i relish having a cheap electric bill....maybe at one point during the winter when i have my own place ill pull some multi gpu machines out and do some folding...otherwise i dont see a point. was impressive tho running dual 9800GTX+ cards along with a machine with a single 9600GT, i was putting out more ppd than guys with a single much more powerful card and cpu....gpu computing is where you get the job done.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
i relish having a cheap electric bill....maybe at one point during the winter when i have my own place ill pull some multi gpu machines out and do some folding...otherwise i dont see a point. was impressive tho running dual 9800GTX+ cards along with a machine with a single 9600GT, i was putting out more ppd than guys with a single much more powerful card and cpu....gpu computing is where you get the job done.

I miss having an nVidia card for that reason. I can't get it to run on my 6870.

FuryRosewood

I had weird issues with work units at times...but yea, for the most time it worked, tho i ran into stability issues at the time, and turns out it was my motherboard fouling up my cpu, and causing ram errors....was my luck :p which is why i dont run overclocked ram now...just nothing but headaches