Folding@Home: CF Official Discussion Thread

Jet

VIP Member
1. Run the installer
2. Go to the folder where you installed it to, and double click on this:

3. Enter your user name, and then your password. As I said before, you must have a password on your account to run SMP.

ADE

banned
OK, I installed the file that I didn't have before. I STILL get this!
notworking.jpg

Jet

VIP Member
OK, I installed the file that I didn't have before. I STILL get this!
notworking.jpg

Calm down ADE! It isn't like I live on CF. :p It looks like you have had problems being assigned to a server. Set it to CPU ID 3, and see if that fixes your problem. To do that:

Create a shortcut, and under "target" after the quotation marks, type in "-config -local" (without the quotes).

Jet

VIP Member
Folding on a Dual or Quad core processor (or a server motherboard with two Single, Dual, or Quad core processors installed)
(Windows SMP Client)

First off, make sure you have Microsoft .NET 2.0 installed (or later version).

Then, download the Windows SMP client from http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html. It is the 6th link down on the list; it is called Windows 2000/XP/Vista SMP client console version. Once downloaded, double click on the file you downloaded and run the setup. It is pretty straightforward, just continue to click next, and then finish. Once done, go to the folder where you installed the SMP Client. Look for the "install.bat" file located there.

Foldernew.jpg

Note: You MUST have a password for your user in order to install this program. A blank password will not work

Double click the install.bat file. A box may pop up and ask if it should block this program; make sure to select allow. Enter first your Windows username, your password, and then confirm your password.

Finally, double click the fah.exe file:
Noname.jpg

A DOS window will pop up and ask you these questions:

User name [Anonymous]? Your ComputerForum Username
Team Number [0]? 44358
Launch automatically at machine startup, installing this as a service (yes/no) [no]? no
Use Internet Explorer Settings (no/yes) [no]? yes
Use proxy (yes/no) [no]? no
Allow receipt of work assignments and return of work results greater than
5MB in size (such work units may have large memory demands) (no/yes) [no]? yes
Change advanced options (yes/no) [no]? no

Run the client; if you have any problems, post them up in this thread!

Last edited:

ADE

banned
I did all of that. I reinstalled and everything! Now I got past that part, now it does nothing but say "Entering M.D." what does that mean???

Jet

VIP Member
if you entered the -config flag correctly, it should go through the configuration process. Does it?

ADE

banned
Yeah, I'm not going to fold anymore. I cant get the thing to work. Its not worth the trouble. Good luck guys.

Jet

VIP Member
well, you could just use the normal client. It is times like these that I wish I could help you from my computer.

Jet

VIP Member
Anyone with PS3s are welcomed to join our folding team!

If you are running a Core 2 Duo with two normal clients, please try out the SMP client! The SMP Client gets quite a bit of PPD.

Jet

VIP Member
I'm not exactly sure, but I believe you have to keep it on. It is well worth it, though, as it will bring in ~800PPD I believe if you keep it on the whole time.