Folding@Home: CF Official Discussion Thread

spanky

Is there another proper way to shut down SMP client then just X-ing it out? Every time I do (usually cause I need to shut down my PC) it doesn't work right next time I start it. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling without restarting and I can't get it to run properly. I'm kind of getting tired of dealing with it. I am thinking about just waiting till a final version of it is released.

spanky

fh2000.png

*cough, cough*

spanky

I'm having too much fun! Sweet Victory for a day.
top20.png

Jet, what happened to you man? and Superpetrik, what happened to him?

Jet

VIP Member
Important:

If you want to fold with the Windows SMP Client (or are), use this: http://distributed.org.ua/forum/index.php?showtopic=1149

It is claimed to provide a 9-10% increase in performance for dual cores. I believe you'd have to run two SMP clients on a Q6600 to get the same benefit. I've seen a performance increase, so far around 60PPD (though I'm using the computer right now).

EDIT: My increase is showing at around 1825PPD from 1700PPD for an E4500 at 3.0Ghz. That's roughly a 7% increase.

Last edited:

spanky

I haven't really noticed. Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention.

Edit: I read on extreme overclockers forum that running SMP on Linux VM was faster than the windows client. I tried to verify and I was only getting 300 point WUs. Maybe I missed something?

Last edited:

Jet

VIP Member
I haven't really noticed. Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention.

Edit: I read on extreme overclockers forum that running SMP on Linux VM was faster than the windows client. I tried to verify and I was only getting 300 point WUs. Maybe I missed something?

So you're running SMP on Linux? If you downloaded the Linux SMP Client, you should be getting 1000-2000 point WUs. Do you have a quad core or dual core? Most likely this program will only help with dual cores.

Last night, I averaged 13:00 minute frames. So, that's ~1950PPD compared to the previous 1720PPD (~13.4% increase). While I also have a new windows installation, not all of that can be attributed to the windows installation.

Jet

VIP Member
Congrats mep!

2800+PPD...quite an acheivement. You have more potential than I do now. (My max is 2700 roughly)

PabloTeK

Well I've now set-up my Optiplex file server as a folding machine as well with it's single core 3800+, it's on most of the day so the points should help.

spanky

So you're running SMP on Linux? If you downloaded the Linux SMP Client, you should be getting 1000-2000 point WUs. Do you have a quad core or dual core? Most likely this program will only help with dual cores.

Last night, I averaged 13:00 minute frames. So, that's ~1950PPD compared to the previous 1720PPD (~13.4% increase). While I also have a new windows installation, not all of that can be attributed to the windows installation.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I downloaded the linux smp client and iwas only getting like 200 point WU's maybe I messed something uP? I'm not running it anymore but I still have teh VM if i want to use it for whatever.

Jet

VIP Member
ARGH! :p

EoC Stats has changed their stats colors. Now, it is:
Red: 3000+
Dark Red: 1500+
Yellow: 750+
Green: 400+
Blue: 200+
Teal: 100+
Purple: 50+
Black: 1+
Grey: 0

EDIT: They have changed again

Red: 6000+
Dark Red: 3000+
Yellow: 1500+
Green: 800+
Blue: 400+
Light Blue: 200+
Purple: 100+
Black: 0+

Last edited:

Kesava

man it folds so slow.

i have plently of recources to spare...

is there any way to speed it up?

on the FAH downloads page there are the GPU folding clients.

will they fold much faster?

and will they work with an 8800 GT?

i know it doesnt matter, but i want to see myself getting lots of WUs done. ahha