Future Gaming PC Need Help!

spirit

Staff member
Ok then ill get that, thanks :p, and also, why is the SSD you recomended better than the one which I first asked about, I dont disagree and you are probably right, its just I was curious.

I recommended the Vertex 4 128GB didn't I? It's newer, faster and bigger in size than the Agility drive which you were after.

Knut

Well, You ended up recommending the 128 GB Crucial m4 as the shop didnt have the Vertex drive. Why the crucial?

spirit

Staff member
I had one and they're great drives. Fast, reliable and easy to update the firmware on. Recommended!

Knut

Ok for the Hard Drive, could I use the drive which is in my computer now? DOes it have to be fast? I have a Caviar Blue 500 gb in my computer now, could I wipe that and then use that as a hard drive, and for ram should I go with 2 X 4 or 1 X 8 thanks.

Knut

And Also if I use the old drive, I might want to invest in 16 gigs of ram and finally a Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB since that is a faster drive than the m4

spirit

Staff member
Ok for the Hard Drive, could I use the drive which is in my computer now? DOes it have to be fast? I have a Caviar Blue 500 gb in my computer now, could I wipe that and then use that as a hard drive, and for ram should I go with 2 X 4 or 1 X 8 thanks.

Yes you could use your Caviar Blue and go for 2x4GB.

Knut

Yes you could use your Caviar Blue and go for 2x4GB.

Ok Ill go for 2 X 4 gigs to start with and then I can always upgrade after that. What do you think about the Kingston? Oh and the Vertex drive you recomended is in stock! SHould I go kingston or Vertex

Knut

I dont know if I like the Carbide 300R it seems a little weak, even though I liked the simplicity of the case, do you know of any other cases which are a little simple but look good. And also the PSU Corsair 600 CX Builder series power supply has a 20 + 4 pin power connector which will work the the 24 pin mobo right?

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Look at the Fractal Design Define R3 and R4 cases.

Yes the CX 600 will work with a 24-pin board.

Knut

Ok thanks, I also wondered about optical drives etc, I have a computer now with a lightscribe optical drive, could I use this. The button to eject it is on my case however which makes me doubtful. I was also wondering about SD's. My current computer has an SD reader on the case, how do you get one of these on the build? thanks

spirit

Staff member
The optical drive will still be your regular 3.5" one even if the button is on the case. It's just the way the case is designed. Sometimes you push a button on the case which pushes the little button on the drive itself.

If the drive is IDE, don't bother using it. If it's SATA, then by all means, go ahead.

If you want an SD card reader, you'd probably have to purchase one of the readers which goes in the floppy bay.

Knut

Ok, I checked and it is a Sata optical drive! I just saved money which I can use on other parts, I was also wondering, I checked my computer out carefully and I have this Cooler Master CPU cooler in there, I dont know what model, it looks just like a fan and it is not too big? Could I use this? Any ideas on the model.

Knut

Oh and also, I really love the Fractal ARC. (Not the mini) I love how it looks and seems to have good airflow, I also wondered, that case has many fan places where I could mount fans, I am thinking of getting 2 140 mm fans, adding one to the top of the case for intake and then one fan on the side by the video card for intake, or how should they pull or push the air, I am not a genius with air direction.

Knut

If I install Windows on the SSD and then plug in the HDD with windows content from my old pc, it will still boot to the SSD right? I mean can I wipe the HDD once its in the new build? Will the speed of the secondary storage 5400rpm drive affect the speed of the systems programs if I dont have any installed on there?

Last edited:

Knut

What do you guys think of the Fractal Design ARC? Oh and Also, if I am thinking of getting a corsair H80 water cooling kit, for a CPU cooler, what do you guys think? If I go for the ARC where sould I mount it? Please reply, thanks

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
The Arc looks like a nice case to me! :) As for water cooling, I reckon an H80 is probably overkill, go for a H50 or H60 perhaps. Usually you mount those coolers where the exhaust fan goes at the rear of the case.

Knut

If I install Windows on the SSD and then plug in the HDD with windows content from my old pc, it will still boot to the SSD right? I mean can I wipe the HDD once its in the new build? Will the speed of the secondary storage 5400rpm drive affect the speed of the systems programs if I dont have any installed on there?

What about this? Thanks for the reply :p