Graphic Card needed

C4C

Should work with your motherboard as far as PCIE x 16

The 8400GS is an AGP card... If the motherboard is out of a "bought" computer, then anything else won't work.

Otherwise, an R7 260X is decent for it's price.

Darren

Staff member
The 8400GS is an AGP card... If the motherboard is out of a "bought" computer, then anything else won't work.

Otherwise, an R7 260X is decent for it's price.

There was a PCI, an AGP, and a PCI-Express version of the 8400GS. I owned the PCI version of it myself at one point.

Besides that issue was settled a long time ago, we're focusing on a different issue now.

goranpaa

Nah!
i never have cleaned the heatsink even once simce the last 3.5yrs
will clean it first thing tomorrow morning !!

Aha! That's likely why the temperature are high then. Always unplug the computer before you start to clean. Make a habit of cleaning the hardware and the inside of the case every 3:rd month at least. Cotton pins, that are ligthly moistered are good for cleaning the cpu heatsink and the motherboard dito + the fans.

A lint free cloth for the inside of the case and the rest of the motherboard, RAM and the harddrive.

A good way to clean the videocard is by taking it out of the case and then have a can of compressed air at hand.

Never use a hoover when you clean out the dust. That can trigger a static charge that could damage the hardware.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
I don't think there was an AGP 8400. The final AGP NVIDIA was the 7800 GS, I think.

I kind of just assumed since he said there was one.

70 is a bit warm for your CPU. I'd get some good thermal paste, I personally use Arctic Silver 5, clean out your computer of dust as best you can. If you've got an actual air compressor that would be the best idea but a can of air works. It doesn't need to be perfect but get as much dust out of the CPU heatsink as you can. Remove the heatsink and clean it all off using 91 percent rubbing alcohol and coffee filters to get rid of all the old thermal paste. Apply a small dot of new thermal paste in the middle of the CPU and reinstall the heatsink.

Also "warming up" the thermal paste by leaving your computer on for a bit right before you pull of the heatsink is a bad idea. I've done this once and almost burned myself on the CPU, not realizing how hot it would still be.

sudcell

70 is a bit warm for your CPU. I'd get some good thermal paste, I personally use Arctic Silver 5, clean out your computer of dust as best you can. If you've got an actual air compressor that would be the best idea but a can of air works. It doesn't need to be perfect but get as much dust out of the CPU heatsink as you can. Remove the heatsink and clean it all off using 91 percent rubbing alcohol and coffee filters to get rid of all the old thermal paste. Apply a small dot of new thermal paste in the middle of the CPU and reinstall the heatsink.

Also "warming up" the thermal paste by leaving your computer on for a bit right before you pull of the heatsink is a bad idea. I've done this once and almost burned myself on the CPU, not realizing how hot it would still be.

I checked it for dust and i don't think it's that much to block the air flow
and i think applying the thermal paste on my own is tough..
i may screw it up!

goranpaa

Yeah, this could happend. But on the other hand not warming up the thermal goo, might result in that the cpu get's ripped off the socket when you remove the heatsink. Besides, you don't have to touch the cpu itself more than with the cloth or a coffee filter really.

Last edited:

goranpaa

I checked it for dust and i don't think it's that much to block the air flow
and i think applying the thermal paste on my own is tough..
i may screw it up!

I can understand that cleaning / reapplying the paste could seem to be quite scary.
But if you just take it easy and carefully study that video I linked to it's not that hard really. Your cpu temperature are high. And will get worse in the summer time.

So it would really be a good thing to replace the goo now. The old and likely the not so effective original paste, have probably dried out.

Or as said, get the CoolerMaster TX 3 cpu cooler right away. But make sure it's compatible with your present cpu / cpu socket first.

Cpu Z, will tell you what cpu you have got? ( And some more information ) if you don't know?

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Last edited:

sudcell

One more question.!!
You know that i upgraded my graphics to r9 270 but am currently using the dvi to vga converter that came with my card and it is attached to the graphic card and the vga is going into the monitor..
So, I was wondering if i get a hdmi to dvi converter (for screen) and connect the convertor to screen and hdmi cable to the graphic card will performance get better or will it be the same?
OR SIMPLY AN HDMI TO DVI CABLE??
OR DVI CABLE.. TO CONNECT BOTH DVI PORTS?

PS: My screen does not have a HDMI port :(

Last edited:

goranpaa

You could get such a converter yes. But it will only be of any worth it if you are using a HDMI cable for support of any monitor speaker sound? Or want to have the computer linked up to a flat screen TV too?

Do you have separate pc speakers or / and headphones? Then a DVI cable are a much better choise, as such a digital cable will give a sharper picture. It does'nt have to be an exspensive one as a DVI or a HDMI cable does'nt have problems with magnetic disturbanses as a cheaper VGA cable can have.

But getting a digital cable of any sort, may result in that you need to adjust the size of the picture in the videocard driver, Catalyst control centre under: Desktop propertys and eventually in the flat panel screen propertys too once you have installed the cable.

Last edited:

sudcell

You could get such a converter yes. But it will only be of any worth it if you are using a HDMI cable for support of any monitor speaker sound? Or want to have the computer linked up to a flat screen TV too?

Do you have separate pc speakers or / and headphones? Then a DVI cable are a much better choise, as such a digital cable will give a sharper picture. It does'nt have to be an exspensive one as a DVI or a HDMI cable does'nt have problems with magnetic disturbanses as a cheaper VGA cable can have.

But getting a digital cable of any sort, may result in that you need to adjust the size of the picture in the videocard driver, Catalyst control centre under: Desktop propertys and eventually in the flat panel screen propertys too once you have installed the cable.

I googled too and found out that there is a huge difference between dvi n vga output ! !
no, am not planning on connecting it to my tv screen and if i do, i will use my other hdmi cable that I use for connecting my laptop to tv screen
And yes i do have speakers . My monitor does not have inbuilt speakers!! But it does have a Dvi-D port!
so am going for a dvi cable :)

Last edited:

sudcell

Guys am facing a weird issue..
am unable to install windows :(

after the first step ie copying files the windows stuck as soon as the next step i.e. starting windows shows on screen. The pc hangs and nothing happens..

i googled this issue and found that there might be some hardware issue coz of the cx600

help plz :(

goranpaa

Have you checked the Windows cd for spots and scratches? Did you take out the cd directly after the computer had restarted after step 1 and then did put it back into the player when promted for it? That might help.

Why did you try to reinstall Windows in the first place?

Last edited:

sudcell

Have you checked the Windows cd for spots and scratches? Did you take out the cd directly after the computer had restarted and then did put it back into the player when promted for it? That might help.

Why did you try to reinstall Windows in the first place?

64- bit

1. Created a bootable PD and tried installing win 7 sp1 (downloaded version )
2. Copied contents from DVD and then created a bootable DVD
3. Tried using original DVD

every time facing the same issue

ninjabubbles3

Similar thing happened to me.

Is the screen black with nothing on it except for the mouse?

If it is? Just wait for at least 30 minutes

Either way, not an issue with the power supply, if it was working with your old windows

sudcell

Similar thing happened to me.

Is the screen black with nothing on it except for the mouse?

If it is? Just wait for at least 30 minutes

Either way, not an issue with the power supply, if it was working with your old windows

Issue resolved :)

I had 6gb of ram (recently upgraded from 4gb)
removed the 4gb stick and then proceeded with the installation and it went on butter smooth :)
done :D