Graphics Card Machine Failure

goranpaa

''

Yeah, nothing wrong with that Corsair psu. Even their cheaper models are good.

"Modular" means that most of the cables are plug in. Wich means that you only use the ones you need for the moment. That will in it's turn reduce the cable clutter and improve the air flow in the box. Something that are really good for a small case such as yours.

The Aerocool psu according to one test review and some customer reviews are a decent one and good for the low price tag. Simply an ok. budget psu and nothing more. Nothing for a for a higher end rig in other words. As beeing such a psu, it's hard to appriciate the life span of it really. A quality psu normally runs well between 5 - 8 years I have been told.

Last edited:

n64gk

brilliant, thanks for all the detailed info. After doing some shopping around, i am now entirely confused as to how many 12v rails i need ( or what they are) and how many amps it should supply, and i was wondering if you could shed some light on this, cheers.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ideally you want a single rail psu with enough wattage that your system needs to perform correctly. Some of those cheap 500 watt psu's only have about 375 watts or less on the 12 volt rail.

n64gk

from your tone i assume that 375 watts on the 12v rail isnt sufficient, what should i aim for? so if i go for the corsair 500w listed above, will that suffice??

goranpaa

To play it safe, I would say go for the Corsair 500W. It's after all better to have a 500W that really delivers steady amps and watts for a long time than a budget 750 W or so that may not.
Come to think about it, as long as you have that small form factor case. It won't be able to house one of the long and more power hungry, higher end video cards anyway. So the 500W will work totally ok. for your rig.

Last edited:

n64gk

yeah i added this thread because i thought this one may be in the wrong section, and then didnt know how to delete it

and thanks very much goranpaa, i am intending to get the 500w corsair builders series, ill update you when this arrives, just as to whether it solves my problem or not, thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

n64gk

would a 430 watt corsair builder series work for me? it is rated 4.9 out of 5 stars and is only 31 pounds

goranpaa

I don't think that is a good idea at all. The "weakest" psu you should aim at are still a 500W. Anything lower than that would just be a waste of money in the end.

goranpaa

That's a good pick yes. I guess and hope for that you have compaired the mesurements with your present psu before buying the Corsair?

The Corsair measurements: 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) x 5.5"(L)

Last edited:

n64gk

yes i did, however if it doesnt fit i can just send it back, resell it, or buy a new case, as i need one, also as i have quite a small case i was thinking of fitting a fan, can i just stick these anywhere in the case, close to an air vent port in the case?

goranpaa

yes i did, however if it doesnt fit i can just send it back, resell it, or buy a new case, as i need one, also as i have quite a small case i was thinking of fitting a fan, can i just stick these anywhere in the case, close to an air vent port in the case?

Good!

The easiest way would be to get a slot cooler, exhaust fan with as high CFM = Cubic Foot per Meter air pressure as possible and with and with as low decibel noise level as possible like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Evercool-SB-F1-slot-system-exhaust/dp/B004ZSC0XS

The downside with a slot cooler is that they are quite noisy though. But at least, it will shave off some degrees.

Last edited:

n64gk

hi guys! long time no see, so after about 4 hours of struggling, i've managed to get the new PSU installed, its all good. although now i have a new issue (i think) everytime i try and run anything graphically intensive, my computer locks up and bluescreens and states dcp_watchdog_violation, i have no idea?

goranpaa

hi guys! long time no see, so after about 4 hours of struggling, i've managed to get the new PSU installed, its all good. although now i have a new issue (i think) everytime i try and run anything graphically intensive, my computer locks up and bluescreens and states dcp_watchdog_violation, i have no idea?

Nice that the psu are working as it should. :)

As for this new problem.

First, get a fresh videocard driver and then uninstall the present driver as said in this tread:

http://www.computerforum.com/230370...nstall-graphics-drivers-amd-nvidia-intel.html

If that does'nt work? Check the following trouble shooting out:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...8-solved/8ce8fa54-9e1b-4b57-98b2-4dbb2a25864e

Last edited:

n64gk

cheers, also if i change any of the bios settings, date/time fans etc. when i press f10 to save and reboot then it just doesnt reboot, then if i manually turn the pc off and then turn it back on, all the fans go to full power and i get no output unless i take apart the machine, pull the CMOS battery and start again