GTA V Next Gen Release Date

Darren

Staff member
I have a PS4 and I will be getting it on both the PS4 and PC when it comes out. I will be very interested to see how my current machine will handle GTA V. Like someone stated already, I do hope its not like GTA 4 for PC. But, I did read that the RAGE engine they used (which was new when they made GTA 4) wasnt actually designed to be a game engine, so they have had a few years to tinker with it hopefully by now its a much better engine. I figured they would have scrapped RAGE altogether and use a new engine for the next gen, but we will see how well this overhaul works.... I personally think RAGE is horrible. Its lack of AA support was a big killer for me.

Everyone always cites the fact that Max Payne 3 is the same engine and runs really well on PC. Granted a linear action game doesn't function nearly the same as an open world game like GTA V. I also think Rockstar knows how bad they screwed up on GTA IV and know not to do that again. They're spending a lot of time on this new release with adding a whole bunch of new things, so I'm sure they'll have spent time making it run well too.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope in GTA V for PC they allow us to really open up View distance,Its one thing that annoyed me in GTA IV was the blury background even at maximum settings.

I'm thinking 2gb Vram as their recommended specs wont be enough for maximum settings though.

Darren

Staff member
I hope in GTA V for PC they allow us to really open up View distance,Its one thing that annoyed me in GTA IV was the blury background even at maximum settings.

I'm thinking 2gb Vram as their recommended specs wont be enough for maximum settings though.

If you look at some of the new screenshots the draw distance is really really good. And that's on PS4 too I believe.

I might actually have a use for the 3GB's I've got on my 7970. My roommate has an FX 6300 and a 7870 (2GB). I'm quite interested to see how the game runs for him versus how it runs for me.

Last edited:

G80FTW

I might actually have a use for the 3GB's I've got on my 7970.

You havent found a use for 3GB yet?? Iv made great use of my 4GB for more than a year now. Crank up the AA man. Plenty of games Im using more than 3GB with.

Darren

Staff member
You havent found a use for 3GB yet?? Iv made great use of my 4GB for more than a year now. Crank up the AA man. Plenty of games Im using more than 3GB with.

Actually I'm kind of just assuming I haven't used it. I don't really play stuff that's really demanding except trying out stuff like Crysis 3. I can't afford new games for 60 bucks so almost everything I play is at least a year or two old.

Agent Smith

Crap. All I have at the moment is a GTX 560TI. All it has is a Gig. Works for what I use it for and that is mostly COD and FS2004. But when this game gets released I think I'll upgrade. I just hope I don't have to upgrade the PSU too. I just bought it a couple years back and barely used it. It's an Antec Gamer 520w.

What's a $200 or less budget get you for GTAV in the GPU department and able to use my PSU?

Geoff

VIP Member
How do you know how much of your VRAM is being used?

Agent Smith

So what's the difference between dynamic and dedicated memory usage in GPU-Z? I totaly forgot that GPU-Z could do this despite having it installed on all my computers. I am curious to see how much vRAM is being used with my FS2004 which is close to 45 GB of an install. With all the addons I like to see the memory usage.

G80FTW

So what's the difference between dynamic and dedicated memory usage in GPU-Z? I totaly forgot that GPU-Z could do this despite having it installed on all my computers. I am curious to see how much vRAM is being used with my FS2004 which is close to 45 GB of an install. With all the addons I like to see the memory usage.

Do you have an older version of GPU-z? Because this is what mine looks like:

I have never used the sensor tab in GPU-z, but evgas software allows for a much larger graph over a longer period of time which I like.

G80FTW

Well, graphically so far to me on the PS4 GTA5 isnt a TON better than before. However, there are so many small improvements to the graphics that they all add up.

I havent played story mode much yet, as Im playing online so I havent got to see the animals (which I thought were supposed to be added to online as well :confused: )

First person view mode to me is meh, its not an FPS game and was never intended to be which is why it puzzled me when Rockstar said they were adding it. But its not bad, I like all the changes they did to the game to adapt to it, its certainly alot more fun to drive in first person now having a speedo in the cars. But the interiors are still lacking, though much better than they were before.

Darren

Staff member
I went over to a friend's dorm to check the game out for a few minutes and it was really nice. Looked good on his Xbone and ran noticeably smoother. I swear my copy on the Xbox 360 always runs in the mid to low 20's in FPS. The first person was really cool for driving and when he got in crashes it was very intense to have your FOV just whipped around like that. Also the combat seems a lot more brutal in first person.

G80FTW

I went over to a friend's dorm to check the game out for a few minutes and it was really nice. Looked good on his Xbone and ran noticeably smoother. I swear my copy on the Xbox 360 always runs in the mid to low 20's in FPS. The first person was really cool for driving and when he got in crashes it was very intense to have your FOV just whipped around like that. Also the combat seems a lot more brutal in first person.

Yea the framerate is certainly alot smoother than it was last year. And I love the FPS aspect when in a gunfight. It may not be like COD or BF, but its close enough for me considering its a pretty large open world FPS now :D

Deathmatches are alot better now and you can force first person view for everyone so it can be just like an FPS. All the animations they added for the first person was more than I thought they would do knowing Rockstar. Rockstar has been known for cutting corners in their past games but its almost as if they have finally thought of everything for this one. You can even buy houses now which was something I always wanted for online mode!

I had enough fun in the game just standing in the middle of the highway in first person and getting hit by cars to watch it in first person.

Darren

Staff member
Franklin's hair is really detailed. That was the first thing I noticed. All the shots look fantastic. Too bad the hardware to run that kind of stuff is really really expensive for most consumers.