HD 7970 Help

Ankur

They should have designed the exterier of this card a bit like Asus Matrix. The cards just don't look like a 7970.
IMG0031232.jpg

StrangleHold

Staff member

87dtna

I didn't see one person ask the OP what resolution he runs.

Some people recommending a 3gb gtx580 because 1.5 isn't enough..........

Well guess what people, if he's running 1080p like the 98% of the rest of us are, even a gtx570 1.25gb is overkill for any game and plenty of memory.

And I think I read he's replacing a gtx580 with a 7970? Seriously? Talk about having more money than brains...

noobs :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CrayonMuncher

Haha your right as well, I just checked I only read the bit, and commented, about the HD7970 benches.

IMO, as I already said, it would be best to wait for nvidias response to see which is better that is if you have to have the latest and greatest gpu.

87dtna

So, is your sig accurate now? A gts450 and a 565 BE? If so, your CPU is a bottleneck even more than your current video card. A 7970 would be pointless.

And Nvidia cannot run triple monitor single card. You have to have SLI for triple monitor....unless you buy a gtx590. So if you have a gts450 like your sig says, you aren't running 5760x1080.

Last edited:

Spesh

You telling me that gtx 580 sli with an oc of 1Ghz isnt powerful enough :)

Actually if I run BF3 @ 4960x1600 with all the eye candy turned on then it isn't enough (even @ 2560x1600 it can be a little jumpy). For most other games I would say my graphics solution is adequate.

I treat my computer as a hobby rather than a necessity.

87dtna

O I dunno. I haven't been paying that close of attention to this thread. With the hardware he has, I'm certain he cannot afford 1 7970 let alone 3.... :/

CrayonMuncher

Actually if I run BF3 @ 4960x1600 with all the eye candy turned on then it isn't enough (even @ 2560x1600 it can be a little jumpy). For most other games I would say my graphics solution is adequate.

I treat my computer as a hobby rather than a necessity.

Yeah running at that res I would imagine you would need some more power :)

Okedokey

Remember, most monitors max at 60FPS real. That is they're 60Hz and anything above that is a waste. I run 2 580's and on Skyrim, i get between 40 - 70FPS, maxed on 1920 x 1080 with texture packs (these make a big difference).

BF3 about 120FPS. So whatever decision you make, especially when swapping a high end card for another, remember, its only worth it if you aren't getting the FPS you need (ie above 60fps) on your current games - or go for multi monitors or 3D.

I didn't see one person ask the OP what resolution he runs.

Some people recommending a 3gb gtx580 because 1.5 isn't enough..........

Well guess what people, if he's running 1080p like the 98% of the rest of us are, even a gtx570 1.25gb is overkill for any game and plenty of memory.

That is simply not correct. My SLI system with 1.5GB VRAM often gets maxed with BF3 and the Skyrim situation as described above. I wish i had've got the 3GB versions.

FuryRosewood

Im beginning to see where the vram becomes a issue myself...and id honestly go for 3gb if i could, just to make sure i did not hit that wall

Okedokey

... even a gtx570 1.25gb is overkill for any game and plenty of memory...

Im not saying I have issues with 1.5GB VRAM at 1920 x 1080, but with 3 x 30" monitors I do. Secondly your statement is simply incorrect - period.