How clean is your interior?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Thanks man!

I may try turning the top fan around to make it an exhuast, also, one last question, the 120mm mounted inside, blowing toward the MOBO or pulling air away from the MOBO?

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Personally, I would blow towards and bring cool air inside. Although if your case is inside a closed cabinet or something else that lacks airflow, it all depends.

Here's my current setup: Cooler Master Elite 330 with one Front 120mm Intake and one Rear 120mm exhaust. On the side panel CPU vent, I also have an 80mm Intake (so it's similar to a 'ram air' by my CPU - forced cool air intake, then CPU heatsink further sucking that cool air). If my case allowed, I'd mount another fan by the GPU vent to blow air onto the MoBo, but it doesn't, so I'm SOL. Temps are find for me, though; my NB Chipset is reading 23*C after being on since about 8:00AM today.

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Thanks man!

I may try turning the top fan around to make it an exhuast, also, one last question, the 120mm mounted inside, blowing toward the MOBO or pulling air away from the MOBO?

Your Rear top fan is an Intake?! If so, I would definitely make it an Exhaust. Lower Front = Cool air Intake, Upper Rear = Warm air Exhaust. Anything else is just to precision-cool or assist either Front Intake or Rear Exhaust.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Nope the rear 80mm in an exhuast, I mean the top 80mm fan on the side panel, sorry.

How do you read the temps of the NB?

Ambushed

dude LOL, ill post a pic of mine. My HD is lying on the bottom of the case and wires are every where

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Nope the rear 80mm in an exhuast, I mean the top 80mm fan on the side panel, sorry.

How do you read the temps of the NB?

Ok, got me scared for a second there :p. Do you have a CPU duct for the side panel or is it just a vent? If you have a duct, then you can remove the duct, put an 80mm fan on, then reinstall the duct. The funnel you move back and forth may not fit though afterwards, but it's all good. I've played both ways - with just the duct/funnel extended to the CPU and with an added 80mm fan for that 'ram air' effect. Ram air was slightly cooler, but a bit noisier due to the extra movement. Marginal difference, but every *C helps.

I use SpeedFan to monitor temps. I labeled 'NB Chipset' accordingly just recently. SpeedFan would give me a temp that I never knew what it was. When I was playing with everything in my case one day, I took off the NB heatsink and dabbed a bit of AS-5 on there. All of a sudden, the generic SpeedFan temp was getting lower and lower. 2+2, ya know:)

Last edited:

Aziek

dude im pretty sure you can wreck your HDD by turning it on and having it sitting on the bottom of the case. Please correct me if i'm wrong

epidemik

I dont know, i had hd's dangling for a while and never had a problem, or at least i never thought i did. Doesnt seem like itd be a problem as long as theyre not moving.

But now that you mention it, i havent gotten a BSOD lately (knock on wood)

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
dude im pretty sure you can wreck your HDD by turning it on and having it sitting on the bottom of the case. Please correct me if i'm wrong

It's recommended to have a small gap for air to flow around. Excessive heat will shorten their lifespan.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ok, got me scared for a second there . Do you have a CPU duct for the side panel or is it just a vent? If you have a duct, then you can remove the duct, put an 80mm fan on, then reinstall the duct. The funnel you move back and forth may not fit though afterwards, but it's all good. I've played both ways - with just the duct/funnel extended to the CPU and with an added 80mm fan for that 'ram air' effect. Ram air was slightly cooler, but a bit noisier due to the extra movement. Marginal difference, but every *C helps.

I have pictures in my sig, I don't have a CPU duct or anything... :p

Talking of ducts, you know the one at the front of my PC (see sig images) the fan is at the front, if I was to put it inside the case, you know, the other end of the duct, would it be any better, or if I was to add another one on the inside and leave the one on the out side on also?

_simon_

Not much you can do in an mATX but here you go.
Ideally I need a modular PSU and SATA DVDRW.

DSCF0002-4.jpg

This one is a bit deceiving, the wires look like they obstruct the fan but they don't, they're off to the side.

DSCF0003-1.jpg

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
I have pictures in my sig, I don't have a CPU duct or anything... :p

Talking of ducts, you know the one at the front of my PC (see sig images) the fan is at the front, if I was to put it inside the case, you know, the other end of the duct, would it be any better, or if I was to add another one on the inside and leave the one on the out side on also?

Just looked at the pics. Very nice. I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to say about the front fan, though. :confused:

taylormsj

Not much you can do in an mATX but here you go.
Ideally I need a modular PSU and SATA DVDRW.

DSCF0002-4.jpg

This one is a bit deceiving, the wires look like they obstruct the fan but they don't, they're off to the side.

DSCF0003-1.jpg

Doesnt look too bad for a cube style case, nice work