Increase Your Bandwidth By 20%

PabloTeK

It's probably a horrible coincidence but after rebooting after doing this mod XP Pro refused to load although choosing to go back to the most recent settings fixed this. It probably didn't help that this XP installation is severely fooked.

munkyeetr

It's probably a horrible coincidence but after rebooting after doing this mod XP Pro refused to load although choosing to go back to the most recent settings fixed this. It probably didn't help that this XP installation is severely fooked.

Yes, probably a coincidence. I had no problems booting after applying the change.

rbxslvr said:
Doesn't do anything. I tried it set to 0% and 90% and there was no noticeable difference.
I did see a slight increase in download rates, maybe an extra 30KB/s or so.

PohTayToez

Wow, I'm glad someone bumped this. At speedtest.net I went from 3315kb/s to 3641kb/s... pretty deece increase. Thanks a lot.

Platinum

I didn't experience any change. Actually I lie... I did, my speeds went down from ~4200 kb/s down to ~3900 kb/s down and ~1300 kb/s up to ~1200 kb/s up.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member

sorry this happned mate...but im sure you changed something wrongly to cause this...ive done it on my pc,My friends and the people who have replied to this post have too and they havnt had any problems:cool:

Wow, I'm glad someone bumped this. At speedtest.net I went from 3315kb/s to 3641kb/s... pretty deece increase. Thanks a lot.

yeah even if its not much of an increase every little helps right:D

your welcome :)

rbxslvr said:
Doesn't do anything. I tried it set to 0% and 90% and there was no noticeable difference.
you are running Xp pro right?
i dont think it works in Home edition...also you probably didnt do it right.

Last edited:

PabloTeK

Well XP on this is buggered to be frank, errors left right and centre. it needs a reformat to sort it all out, hopefully I'll get my new CD soon and I can then try this tweak out.

SubDude199

yeye, that was me, and im glad I found it to.. I was just looking a few pages back and came by it.. I also thing I got the bigger gain, Im looking at a 3 meg gain with this mod!!

munkyeetr

How would you do this on vista?
I followed the exact same instructions.

I am using Vista Ultimate though, so group policy editor may be limited or unavailable in other versions. I'm not sure.

EDIT: I just found a blog that says GPEditor is only available in XP Pro and Vista Ultimate, and by coincidence it was also talking about this same topic.

It's in the entry for Tuesday, July 10, 2007
http://themediaguru.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

munkyeetr

For people not using XPP or Vista Ultimate, there may be a manual registry hack to accomplish this. I'm going to poke around a little and try to see what Registry setting the GPEditor created or changed. Anyone else who does not fear the Registry, feel free to poke around also. :)

SubDude199

there is a much easier way to do it.. go to network connection, click on the connection that connects you to the internet, right click on it, select properties - then uncheck "Qos packet scheduler".. see:

1-6.jpg

compare that to what the walkthrew shows, thats what were doing is adjusting the packer scheduler, so if its diabled.. it cant scheduel anything..vola

walkthrew brings you here:

2-3.jpg

rbxslvr

For people not using XPP or Vista Ultimate, there may be a manual registry hack to accomplish this. I'm going to poke around a little and try to see what Registry setting the GPEditor created or changed. Anyone else who does not fear the Registry, feel free to poke around also. :)
I remember doing a science project of a certain registry key's effect on a single file's download speed. Let me see if I can dig it up. (That was 2 years ago in 7th grade). I love the registry... if you open up HKEY_Current_User->Control Panel->Colors... that's my latest and greatest obsession. (The active title one is a RGB value for that animation when you minimize or maximize... where the title bar shrinks and travels down to your taskbar. I set it to hot pink... to find out what it did... and have not changed it back yet... pretty annoying)

I'll have a look-see

EDIT: forgot to mention that activetitle also controls the selected date color in the date & time settings window, and some "loading" progress bars. Specifically, the ones that are normally a dark shade of blue.

EDIT2: Found it. This is copied and pasted straight out of the methods page...
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

10. Now you need to create two files on the right side of the screen. To do so, you need to right-click, click “New”, then “DWORD Value.” The new name should be “MaxConnectionsPerServer”, and “MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server.” Now double click the first one, then select “Decimal” and in the input box, put the number of strings that you want to transfer at the same time. I would start with one, then skip 2, and then do 3-6. You have already done 2, that is why you can skip it. Do the same with the second DWORD that you created, and make sure that you ALWAYS make that value the same as the other one (Don’t forget to change it to Decimal). Now close Regedit and restart your computer.

When I was doing the experiment, I based it off of a source that said 6 was the Max # of connections, but more recently, I have found sources that tell you to use a value of 10, sometimes even higher. My best value out of the 6 was when it was set to 6 connections, but it didn't really make a big difference. Plus, I timed it by hand (because that was about a year and a half ago, and I didn't know any programming :()

Last edited:

munkyeetr

there is a much easier way to do it.. go to network connection, click on the connection that connects you to the internet, right click on it, select properties - then uncheck "Qos packet scheduler".. see:

compare that to what the walkthrew shows, thats what were doing is adjusting the packer scheduler, so if its diabled.. it cant scheduel anything..vola

That makes sense. Can anyone verify that? Someone running something other that XPP or Ultimate? See if it works for those systems to increase bandwidth.