Increase Your Bandwidth By 20%

rbxslvr

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Psched

Create the following:
Data Type: DWORD Value
Value Name: NonBestEffortLimit
Setting for Value Data: [Enter as a Percentage / Default Value = 20]

I'm not positive... but it sounds about right

EDIT: Yep, the value was 0, I changed it through gpedit and checked it again, and it changed to the same number.

Do I win a prize?:confused:

EDIT2: Looks like the other 2 settings, "Set Timer Resolution" and "Limit Outstanding Packets" are also in that same key...

Outstanding packets - DWORD, MaxOutstandingSends (name of value), base = decimal

Set Timer Resolution - DWORD, TimerResolution (name of value), base = hex value

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p120/rbxslvr/regedit.jpg

I could whip up a quick VB program to allow you home users to do this without the registry editor (for those reg-o-phobics out there)

Last edited:

ADE

banned
how can a home XP do this? simple if possible? i aint reading all these posts. too many.

rbxslvr

Nice work rbxslvr! :cool:
Thanks... I have a bit nicer work right now...

QoS Edit 1.0

5 lines of code... only one real line though :D

"My.Computer.Registry.SetValue("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Psched", "NonBestEffortLimit", NumericUpDown1.Value, Microsoft.Win32.RegistryValueKind.DWord)"

rbxslvr

how you use it?
My program? You extract, install (I can't make a just plain old executable file for some reason), select your percentage (0% is what you want). After that, you can uninstall if you want... (don't worry, not sypware or anything... scan if you wish).

It might require a restart to have any effect. It does the same thing as I posted before, only with a REALLY simple UI

munkyeetr

My program? You extract, install (I can't make a just plain old executable file for some reason), select your percentage (0% is what you want). After that, you can uninstall if you want... (don't worry, not sypware or anything... scan if you wish).

It might require a restart to have any effect. It does the same thing as I posted before, only with a REALLY simple UI

Nice. You mentioned maybe putting it in a .vbs file. That would be smoother, but that's just me. I'm biased in favour of hacks that don't require installation.

Either way, cheers!

rbxslvr

Nice. You mentioned maybe putting it in a .vbs file. That would be smoother, but that's just me. I'm biased in favour of hacks that don't require installation.

Either way, cheers!
I could use the bin in my solution's build... but I wasn't sure if that would work on any system... I'll work that out in about 5 hours (tomorrow) I'm gonna get some sleep

Last edited:

jedijeff123

u get an over-the-internet pat on the back. lol
for some reason, it wont install on my compy. just says system update required

rbxslvr

u get an over-the-internet pat on the back. lol
for some reason, it wont install on my compy. just says system update required
That means you probably don't have the latest .Net Framework.

.Net 3.0

I think all you need is 2.0... so if 3.0 doesn't work, then try 2.0 (Although it should work).

If you own Vista, there will be no need for .Net framework, because it comes standard on Vista

Last edited:

rbxslvr

Ok... I uploaded the release build... so, try this one (no install required)

It still requires a .Net Framework update, but is less of a hassle because you don't have to install and uninstall. (because this is just a .exe)

Attachments

• Qos Edit - InstallFree.zip
    24 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

CentralViking19

you can do it on vista, but i did it on a school computer and our bandwidth is limited at the switch so i cant tell the difference in speeds