Mac OS X Leopard. Hasta la vista, Vista.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
quite nice :)

The dock looks much better.

Apple make their Operating systems so nice and easy to use.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Some stuff looks neat, but most just looks like added "flash". Regardless, I would like to try it on my mac. Seems this will be one of the last OS's my G4 can run.

Burgerbob

Hey... it looks like OSX Kitty or whatever the last version was. IDK, it just looks like more eye candy to me. Ubuntu + Beryl all the way.

tlarkin

VIP Member
there are plenty of new technologies in Leopard other than eye candy, do any of you actually read any links?

Redbull{wings}

Mac upgrades are great but they really put their old machines out of use, my school put tiger on a lot of our old g3's and they run like crap now I'm sure that's what's gonna happen here too.

Of course Vista does it to some pc's but not in such a large scale as macs because a pc can have a huge variety of hardware while apple computers are tailor-made

tlarkin

VIP Member
I have safari on my windows virtual machine on my macbook pro running right now, its freaking fast compared to IE. Maybe they'll get active X support and I'll never have to use IE ever again!

tlarkin

VIP Member
Mac upgrades are great but they really put their old machines out of use, my school put tiger on a lot of our old g3's and they run like crap now I'm sure that's what's gonna happen here too.

Of course Vista does it to some pc's but not in such a large scale as macs because a pc can have a huge variety of hardware while apple computers are tailor-made

This is a very convoluted statement. A B&W G3 (with RAM upgrades of course) which came out in 1999 can run Tiger. Give me a 8 year old PC that can run the newest version of windows. yes they are dropping support for older machines, but look at the oldest machine they support. Not to mention basic usage of Tiger on a B&W G3 is actually not bad at all. It runs pretty darn fast actually if you are doing basics, word processing, email, internet, etc. If you get into the more advanced stuff you'd probably want a hardware upgrade.

I have a 7 year old desktop at home running Tiger, its a G4 dual 500Mhz, and it runs it like a champ. It has 1 gig of ram (PC133) and I can boot it up and run just about anything on it with no problems for what I do. Even photoshop doesn't run all that bad (CS2).

I mean come on, you have to upgrade your machine eventually. Also, a lot of times if someone who doesn't know what they are doing can greatly effect how the macs run. We deploy new images every summer to our macs to keep them up and running great, and they do run great.

Redbull{wings}

This is a very convoluted statement. A B&W G3 (with RAM upgrades of course) which came out in 1999 can run Tiger. Give me a 8 year old PC that can run the newest version of windows. yes they are dropping support for older machines, but look at the oldest machine they support. Not to mention basic usage of Tiger on a B&W G3 is actually not bad at all. It runs pretty darn fast actually if you are doing basics, word processing, email, internet, etc. If you get into the more advanced stuff you'd probably want a hardware upgrade.

I have a 7 year old desktop at home running Tiger, its a G4 dual 500Mhz, and it runs it like a champ. It has 1 gig of ram (PC133) and I can boot it up and run just about anything on it with no problems for what I do. Even photoshop doesn't run all that bad (CS2).

I mean come on, you have to upgrade your machine eventually. Also, a lot of times if someone who doesn't know what they are doing can greatly effect how the macs run. We deploy new images every summer to our macs to keep them up and running great, and they do run great.

Okay so your saying if my school would of had that certain g3 with the best specs available it would be able to run tiger? Well they don't and I'm telling you these g3's run Tiger like sh*t at one point I had Safari and Powerpoint open at the same time finishing up a history project all I was doing was researching and typing and the machine was a crawl and ended up hard crashing! and it wasn't the only one. My experience with macs says don't upgrade your os just buy a new computer because it won't be worth it.

I agree that you can't generalize on these things but that's what my experience has been. Our g4 laptops run Tiger pretty well I have no problem using them but they were designed to run Tiger I doubt they will run Leopard nearly as well that's just how it works, especially when you have such a large upgrade(transparency, reflection, multiple file loads, etc...)

Rambo

Hahahaha - absolutely fantastic!

And OS X Leopard is, in my opinion, a vast improvement on Tiger. I really like the way they changed Finder - now it looks easier than ever to browse around your files. And one of the best things about it - Quick Look integration! Man - Quick Look is like Preview ++ :p

However, what did disappoint me, was no mention of ZFS (the new file system) and no new iMacs :(

Irishwhistle

Hahahaha - absolutely fantastic!

And OS X Leopard is, in my opinion, a vast improvement on Tiger. I really like the way they changed Finder - now it looks easier than ever to browse around your files. And one of the best things about it - Quick Look integration! Man - Quick Look is like Preview ++ :p

However, what did disappoint me, was no mention of ZFS (the new file system) and no new iMacs :(

The thing I like about the new finder is the new dock design. Especially the stacks, I can see how that would be really useful. Vista is definitely no match up to this.

~Jordan

Rambo

The thing I like about the new finder is the new dock design. Especially the stacks, I can see how that would be really useful. Vista is definitely no match up to this.

~Jordan

The Dock is a completely separate application and is not dependent upon Finder. ;)

tlarkin

VIP Member
actually if you start digging around in OS X, you'll find that everything is pretty much a separate little application, and that you can tweak lots of things here and there or pull features out of an application. Going to the package contents is very nice. That is how I "hacked" isync to make it support my nokia mobile phone.