Mac?

tlarkin

VIP Member
If you want to play videogames with a decent video card, you have no choice but to go with PC

You can custom build a great gaming computer with a 8800GTX and a good 22" monitor for ~$1400. Spending $2,000 upwards, the iMac doesn't even have a comparable videocard

What game requires that video card that is currently out? the 8600GT to my knowledge will run every single video game out there right now on the market. perhaps not a full setttings, but then again, that is all subjective on how much the human mind and eyes can notice that much difference.

There is no difference in game play between 60fps and 90fps, the mind can not tell the difference.

Now, between 15fps and 40fps, you bet you can easily tell the difference.

`PaWz

banned
What game requires that video card that is currently out? the 8600GT to my knowledge will run every single video game out there right now on the market. perhaps not a full setttings, but then again, that is all subjective on how much the human mind and eyes can notice that much difference.
I'm talking about people who want to put their games on high settings. The 8600GT cannot play modern PC games that well. It can't even max out Call of Duty 4 and BioShock with decent framerates. Especially if you want to have comparable graphics to a proprietary system (Xbox 360, PS3), you will need the extra power.

Last edited:

Kill Bill

If you want to play videogames with a decent video card, you have no choice but to go with PC

You can custom build a great gaming computer with a 9800GTX and a good 22" monitor for ~$1200. Spending $2,000 upwards, the iMac doesn't even have a comparable videocard

Haha. I'm sure a 8800GS on a imac will do normal gaming
the 8600m GT on the macbook pro will be fine for normal/heavy gaming with good FPS
The Mac Pro with the 8800GT 512mb will do normal/heavy gaming with pleasure

+ Macs have multitouch on their mouses (laptops anyway)

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
I'm talking about people who want to put their games on high settings. The 8600GT cannot play modern PC games that well. It can't even max out Call of Duty 4 and BioShock with decent framerates. Especially if you want to have comparable graphics to a proprietary system (Xbox 360, PS3), you will need the extra power.

That only applies to gamers. Most people could care less as long as it runs. And yes, the 8600GT can run all those games just freaking fine. I have a 9800 Pro and I ran BioShock on my PC with it, and it didn't run super fast but it was easily playable at lower resolutions.

Gaming is all about marketing man, not real world results. You can easily play COD4 on that video card. In fact if you wanted to get technical about it you can probably get a tool like riva tuner and unlock those pipes and make your 8600GT run faster and better on the windows side if need be.

`PaWz

banned
That only applies to gamers. Most people could care less as long as it runs. And yes, the 8600GT can run all those games just freaking fine. I have a 9800 Pro and I ran BioShock on my PC with it, and it didn't run super fast but it was easily playable at lower resolutions.
Yes, I was talking about 'gamers.' I want the best graphics and performance I can afford

`PaWz

banned
Haha. I'm sure a 8800GS on a imac will do normal gaming
the 8600m GT on the macbook pro will be fine for normal/heavy gaming with good FPS
The Mac Pro with the 8800GT 512mb will do normal/heavy gaming with pleasure

+ Macs have multitouch on their mouses (laptops anyway)
Are you kidding me? Why the hell would I pay $2,800 upwards just for an 8800GT?

Edit: ok, you can reduce the price to $2,300 if you choose a single quad-core processor. That's still overkill if you just want to game

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yes, I was talking about 'gamers.'

Look, let me explain this more clearly, and perhaps you all will understand and I do sympathize because I used to be a hard core gamer and build your own PC guy to the bone back in the 90s when I was a teenager. Back when LAN games were first being done and a HUB cost several hundred dollars and a switch was just way too expensive.

Video cards only boost performance in two areas like I mentioned before hand. They boost performance in video gaming, and 3D rendering. There are two separate cards you get, one for each task. you wouldn't want an 8800GTX for rendering in lets say Maya, you would want a Quadro, and likewise you would not want a Quadro for gaming, they stink for games.

Now, in every other aspect of performance be it: Office Suites, Photoshop, text editing, pictures, music, video editing, email, web surfing, burning DVDs, so on and so forth, a video card has very little to do with that.

So, you are telling me that an iMac sucks because of the video card, but in reality it doesn't. It can play every video game out on the market period. Sure it may not be the absolute best performance but it will still be very good, and very playable. They are not over priced either, they are just high end. If you were to build that iMac in a desktop PC, and build it spec for spec, including the 20" high resolution LED LCD monitor, it would be very comparable in price. iMacs also have built in ABGN wireless, blue tooth, web cam, firewire, firewire 800, gigabit ethernet, digital audio and video out, as well as them being very sleek and take up little space.

Things like SLI are a marketing scheme. You may get more FPS in a benchmark, and possibly a few more in a game, but that does not make the over all performance better or even noticeable. RAID 0 offers gamers zero performance increase yet, people all over this forum do it, and it reduces your stability 10 fold when striping drives.

The fact is, that you buy into all this crap that these tech companies cram down gamers throats, and market that way. They do that so you will buy into it and spend your money. Some of it is valid, and a lot of it is blown out of proportion, and if a developer can't support these technologies to their fullest then it is a waste of money because you are not benefiting from it.

`PaWz

banned
I know what a video card is. I know it only works for 3d rendering and gaming. And if you are a gamer who wants to max out their settings, a mac is not a good choice. That is all that I was saying in the first place.

Sorry. disregard my other post, I misread your comment

tlarkin

VIP Member
I NEVER said that a mac sucks. Why are you putting words in my mouth? I said that the mac loses purely in a gamer's mind.

I never said you said that, LOL

I was just stating some valid points.

Also, a Mac Pro wouldn't be all that great for gaming, the Xeon processors aren't filled with the interactive multimedia platform instruction sets that the Core processors are, and not to mention, I don't think any game takes advantage of quad cores yet. A Mac Pro would be outstanding for 3D rendering, video editing, and digital audio production.

the sony because
it has more ram (3x the ram)
bigger screen
more than 2x hard drive space
twice the shared graphics memory (358mb versus 144mb)

Last edited:

Kill Bill

MacBook FTW

1. The GPU on 2 is a shader model 2 on the vaio but the macbook pro has shader model 3.

2. The cpu on mac is now using penryn

3. Better APPS

and more

Oh yea. Will Sony hardware last 6 years? Macbooks are supposed to live upto 7 years (- Like everytime a new OS comes out it will support all until year 7 >)

Last edited:
He has no basis. Just try to ignore fanboys. And no, I am not a fanboy for suggesting dells. For a tight budget, dells offer coupons.

Kill Bill

...And what is your basis for saying this?
A 7 yearold powerbook g4 titanium lying around running leopard
He has no basis. Just try to ignore fanboys. And no, I am not a fanboy for suggesting dells. For a tight budget, dells offer coupons.

I'm not a fanboy ok maybe but out of the two sonys overheats alot aswell And btw I HAVE ONE, and whats with cupons they sound so much like I shop out of primark....

Just because you have a mac, you claim your sony is bad. Even if it does overheat, prove it. Post some temps. Saying that a whole company overheats is random and useless.

Kill Bill

Just because you have a mac, you claim your sony is bad. Even if it does overheat, prove it. Post some temps. Saying that a whole company overheats is random and useless.

I dont have a mac yet. I just have a lying around powerbook g4 titanium and a sony vaio vgn fj3s. I'll post em later

CPTMuller

Kill Bill, just because you have A hypothetical powerbook G4 working doesn't mean that as a whole Mac's have some garunteed lifespan of exactly 7 years, I mean my friend has this tiny little acer that is easily 8-9 years old.... Does that mean acers last 8-9 years garunteed? I've seen macbooks that are already beyond usable does that mean they have a 2 year lifespan?