Mac?

dude - ur link in post 135 was the xps 1330 - that's a 13.3 inch screen
you need to config the 1530 with the links I posted on #157

(250th post gold member - thanks people for letting help here)

Well, I have posted multiple screenshots that show how the 1530, when configured correctly, beats the mbp in ram, hard drive, processor, and price. $1499 for the same processor as the mbp, same graphics card as the mbp. $1499 config has better warranty, 3 year antivirus, better ram, hard drive, fingerprint reader.

pwnagebs1.jpg

If people can't follow 4 simple directions to get to this page, they are computer illiterate.

tlarkin

VIP Member
You are still missing features....

yeah i did grab the 13" by accident, oh well here is what is really is with coupons

Notice it says retail price = 2448

savings = 599 (50 + 25% off)

total = 1849

`PaWz

banned
I don't see a 320GB option when I go to it ...

I assume you added software and warranty options? I couldn't get over $1820 with the specs on the picture (I didn't use the coupon)

tlarkin

VIP Member
I don't see a 320GB option when I go to it ...

I assume you added software and warranty options? I couldn't get over $1820 with the specs on the picture without the coupon

I added Vista ultimate, the better screen, the ABGN wireless, the hardware sound card, bluetooth (maybe that came standard) and it came out to that much with those savings, it is all listed there, I did not add any software.

I went through his link which has the same model with the coupon added. I didn't have any HD options, and I think that may be a stipulation of the coupon itself. If you read the fine print the coupons only apply to certain configurations I think.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3015/35112904jv6.jpg
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7534/87270937fs1.jpg

This is what I got... The coupon should work regardless of the configuration. (as long as it's above the required price)

I read a few coupons that only applied if you chose certain shipping stipulations. While I went through his links and built the same thing he did and got a different price than him.

Either way, those coupons can't be held in black in white because they are limited, and when they expire you will be subjected to way more expensive prices. Apple, doesn't ever really offer any coupons or discounts, other than if you buy in bulk or are a student (educational discount) which would apply to all of you and me as well, since I work for a school district as their network admin.

I am not sure what happened, I followed his link and got the same results he did, 4 gig of RAM and 320 gig HD as only options and when I added the other needed features I got what I got.

Dell's website for one sure does suck donkey balls.

CPTMuller

Holy crap this thread exploded. Tlarkin, while you have a valid point that there are more "advanced" features on the MBP, granted the price difference, and the lack of support for a lot of windows applications you will tack on another 70-150$ for a copy of windows to use on the MBP. Both of you seem have a case of tunnelvision... the MBP has some nice idiot-proofing done to it VIA sensors and the ac adapter, where as the dell has some performance upgrades and a hardware right click BUTTON. Spaces is a valid counterpoint except for the fact that you can use 3rd party software to do it for free on a PC. Also, if you are going to insist that with your MBP you would be using 3rd party ram, then you have to assume that for the Dell.

And at Sir Travis D, you sound like a broken record, if he obviously won't listen to your points, either elaborate more clearly, make a final statement and stoop responding, or bring up another topic. In the context of what the OP wants, he could get either a mac or a PC, with the PC he would buy third party software, and with the mac he would pay a higher base price for a stylish case and some software at which point it comes down to being stylish, or having power.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Holy crap this thread exploded. Tlarkin, while you have a valid point that there are more "advanced" features on the MBP, granted the price difference, and the lack of support for a lot of windows applications you will tack on another 70-150$ for a copy of windows to use on the MBP. Both of you seem have a case of tunnelvision... the MBP has some nice idiot-proofing done to it VIA sensors and the ac adapter, where as the dell has some performance upgrades and a hardware right click BUTTON. Spaces is a valid counterpoint except for the fact that you can use 3rd party software to do it for free on a PC. Also, if you are going to insist that with your MBP you would be using 3rd party ram, then you have to assume that for the Dell.

Please tell me what a PC can do that a Mac can not software wise? There is always a Mac version or a Mac alternative, period. With the exception of some video games, and that will change soon. Part of the problem was, he was trying to pass off his Dell with a crappier screen, and I simply pointed out and proved from a hardware perspective they are not over price, they are just high end. Oh, and by the way, you can right click in OS X, and have been able to since 2001 when OS X 10.0 came out, so please don't act like that isn't possible. I believe the multiple desktop software from microsoft is not free, at least it did not used to be at all.

And at Sir Travis D, you sound like a broken record, if he obviously won't listen to your points, either elaborate more clearly, make a final statement and stoop responding, or bring up another topic. In the context of what the OP wants, he could get either a mac or a PC, with the PC he would buy third party software, and with the mac he would pay a higher base price for a stylish case and some software at which point it comes down to being stylish, or having power.

No, I listened to his point and he makes the same point you do, oh those features are just little things, and oh there is no right click, and oh there is no third party software support. All of which are plainly wrong.

I have stated numerous times I don't hate PCs, and in fact I have a few of them myself including an HP laptop. I am just pointing out the misinformation of this thread. I have used windows and Mac machines professionally since 1999. I use them both. Like I said, who gives a rat ass if the Original poster wants to buy a Mac?

I could go back and rip out every retarded quote from every person on this forum and prove it wrong. I can justify my argument by the same justification people on this forum use for vista. People complain about it bash it and have never used it, don't understand it, or have such a limited knowledge can't base an honest opinion to begin with.

Plain and simple, no one on this forum knows the Macintosh platform really maybe besides a few posters. The rest of the people on this forum hate them because they are gamers, or they hate their commercials, or they think that you can't right click with a mouse. All of which is completely un true.

I am far from tunnel vision, I am actually one of the more unbiased computer users out there. I shoot down mac elitists all the time when they try to act like their computers are so ungodly awesome. Like I said earlier, there is no reason to follow around a computer platform like a spectator sport, there is no home team advantage and they aren't paying you to like their product. I have stated why you may want to get a PC and the choice is up to you.

The MacBook Pro offers so many features standard that no other laptops really do, plus it is only 1" thick, has a very nice high quality LED screen, runs fast and quiet, is light weight, and has great battery life. All of that is a feature of a laptop. I have to carry around a laptop every day, along with tools, a CD/DVD case, several external HDs, cables, etc. My backpack weighs probably 40lbs all together. Having a nice light weight 1" thick 15" Macbook Pro, is a benefit to me.

Seriously, this thread should just be locked.

Last edited:

CPTMuller

Please tell me what a PC can do that a Mac can not software wise? There is always a Mac version or a Mac alternative, period. With the exception of some video games, and that will change soon.

<-- Gamer, sorry for the offense, you have to realize that it is a significant and growing trend that definitely can be used as an argument against the mac platform.

No, I listened to his point and he makes the same point you do, oh those features are just little things, and oh there is no right click, and oh there is no third party software support. All of which are plainly wrong.
There is third party support, but not for games, and some software (drivers for the G15, last I checked, some mice ETC).

The thing is when it boils down to it, it is a matter of personal preference. The Mac sacrafices hardware in favor of design (aesthetics and the screen being LED backlit) and software. However when I buy a computer, I look for the best performance for my dollar, software being an afterthought, though this may be because I have acess to the CS3 suite, and use Open office:confused:. Anyhow I will admit this thread is pretty out of hand.

tlarkin

VIP Member
<-- Gamer, sorry for the offense, you have to realize that it is a significant and growing trend that definitely can be used as an argument against the mac platform.

There is third party support, but not for games, and some software (drivers for the G15, last I checked, some mice ETC).

Well, this is for one hardly Apple's fault and I agree with you on it to some extent. However, the gaming market is getting better and better with Apple, and some companies are now developing for the Mac platform. Gaming is still a niche in the market though. Your average computer user is not a gamer, and it may be growing but so is console gaming. Most computer users are casual or non gamers what so ever. 10.5 released an API called core animation which can be compared to DX in some aspects, so Apple is tossing the developers a bone finally. Too bad this is one subject that even gets the Mac users mad, because they want to play games as well. It will change, maybe not this year, but it will change I know it will.

The thing is when it boils down to it, it is a matter of personal preference. The Mac sacrafices hardware in favor of design (aesthetics and the screen being LED backlit) and software. However when I buy a computer, I look for the best performance for my dollar, software being an afterthought, though this may be because I have acess to the CS3 suite, and use Open office:confused:. Anyhow I will admit this thread is pretty out of hand.

It doesn't really sacrifice hardware though, they are high end machines to begin with. Plus Leopard takes less resources to run than Windows. Are you talking about being able to upgrade a machine? I think that is what you are trying to say, is you can't upgrade a Mac, and while this is true in some respects it is false in others. I mean, you can't compare a machine you assembled off of newegg to a Mac Pro desktop for one, those are freaking dual xeons. The cheapest I have seen those xeons is like $750 a piece, which means if you actually did build your own you are tossing $1400 in the processors alone. People don't realize that.

Apple also designs the whole system from the hardware up. They design their hardware to run their OS, and then design their OS to run on their hardware, which gives you less bloat and more performance. Microsoft is forced to develop a broad OS that will run on a variety of hardware configurations which leaves more bloat, more margin for error and they can not optimize it as well. So, you are in fact sacrificing quality for quantity.

Sure, you are limited with a Mac but it is a closed platform with more quality control, and their systems spec for spec hardware wise are not outrageously over priced. If you count the bundled software then they are actually cheaper, because if you were to buy a base laptop, then add all the hardware features (or desktop for that matter) then add all the software it wouldn't compare price range.

Ultimately you can almost not even compare a Mac to a windows machines because they are two different beasts. however, you have to compare them because they are in fact all computers.

Plus when you look at upgrading your PC if you build your own you are most likely in the same boat I am. I have a custom built PC I built a few years back for gaming and it runs windows. Well, now the motherboard is out of date and the memory is slower. So, if I were to upgrade my machine, I would have to buy a new motherboard to support the new socket processors, a new video card (upgrade), a new PSU to support the new processor, mobo and video card, new RAM with higher speed. Ultimately I am building a new PC every time, so really upgrading is a moot point, unless you are one of those people that buys a new part for your computer every 3 months. Which I am not one of those people.

So, I fail to see why people think that with Macintosh you are sacrificing hardware for looks? That just doesn't make any sense at all.

CPTMuller

Apple doesn't offer a Mid-Range computer I guess is what I was really getting at. There is a huge jump from the high end iMac to the Xeon beasts. Admittedly the computer we built 4 years ago has a grand total of like 3 parts you could recycle into a new computer (Hard drive cd drive, sound card). The cheapest iMac I could find with a respectable gaming graphics card was 1949 with a basic, although decent computer behind it.
My original point was that people seem to praise the iLife software suite that is bundled with Macs, even though they will end up replacing a lot of it.

# 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# 2GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
# NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS w/512MB GDDR3
# 320GB Serial ATA Drive
# Apple Mighty Mouse
# Apple Keyboard (English) + User's Guide
# SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
# 24-inch glossy widescreen LCD
# AirPort Extreme
# Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

--$1,949.00

That card will be hard pressed to preform well with the newer games at the LCDs native resolution, not to mention that it is a relatively average machine OTHER THAN the fact that it is so nicely tucked away behind an LCD panel, hence my understanding that you are paying more for the aesthetics than the hardware. The LCD is probably the most surprising part of the computer being 1920 by 1200.

~Edit, Question, do the components actually run at stock speeds at all times in these computers? I dont see how they could keep an 8800gs cool inside one of those?

tlarkin

VIP Member
They don't underclock the cards to may knowledge.

iMac is a different beast than a desktop though and to be fair you could only compare it to other all-in-one systems.

I agree though about not having a C2D mid range tower, that is one thing Apple does not have, and I wish they would have that.

You are paying for the engineering partly to make it that sleek and thin, and it takes up so little space, which is a factor to some people.

CPTMuller

They don't underclock the cards to may knowledge.

iMac is a different beast than a desktop though and to be fair you could only compare it to other all-in-one systems.

I agree though about not having a C2D mid range tower, that is one thing Apple does not have, and I wish they would have that.

You are paying for the engineering partly to make it that sleek and thin, and it takes up so little space, which is a factor to some people.

Yeah, but this is a computer enthusiast website, you cant come preaching to the wrong choir and accept people to readily agree that iMac's are overpriced when that is one factor most commonly ignored. I've seen everything but a Mac at lan parties, the closest was a PC in a modded Mac tower for the simple fact that the hardware is just not where it needs to be for even most casual gamers.

Any insight as far as how they manage temps in the iMacs? I am seriously curious about that.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yeah, but this is a computer enthusiast website, you cant come preaching to the wrong choir and accept people to readily agree that iMac's are overpriced when that is one factor most commonly ignored. I've seen everything but a Mac at lan parties, the closest was a PC in a modded Mac tower for the simple fact that the hardware is just not where it needs to be for even most casual gamers.

Any insight as far as how they manage temps in the iMacs? I am seriously curious about that.

No this is a public computer forum that has a wide range of computer users and the original poster was asking advice and was most likely a novice on the subject. You are trying to preach to me something you don't understand, macintosh. LAN parties? What does that have to do with the topic at hand? Again, you are assuming everyone is a gamer. This topic was about how the Mac can be used for audio and video, and no one answered the OPs question properly or with the right knowledge.

If a billion people say something foolish, it is still foolish.

The cooling is like ram air in a car, sucks it right in and exhausts it right out. It is controlled at the firmware level, since Macintosh adopted the EFI platform their firmware level applications are much more robust and their smart fans are a lot smarter. EFI is 100s of times more robust and better than the legacy BIOS that PCs run. It does not allow hot air to resonate inside the machine. The engineering that went behind it is beyond me, I think they dropped acid and then came up with the iMac to be honest.

Kill Bill

There - are you happy?
Guys, I have to go soon if tlarkin says the macbook pro is better than the xps, show him this
The Dell XPS notebook for $1499 compares with the $1999 macbook pro like this

Dell Xps - 4gb ram
Macbook - 2gb ram

Dell Xps - 320gb hard drive
Macbook - 200gb hard drive

Dell Xps -Graphics Card - 8600
Macbook -Graphics Card - 8600

Dell Xps - Processor 2.4ghz
Macbook - Processor 2.4ghz

Dell Xps - Bluetooth/fingerprint reader
Macbook - Bluetooth

For the processor, you can beat the macbook with a slight upgrade, leaving the xps still over $200 cheaper. The Dell Xps would then win in the following categories for $200+ less - Ram, Processor, Hard Drive, Fingerprint Reader, warranty length, price
The macbook wins in the following categories - screen type, one port

pwnagebs1.jpg
Finger print readers are nothing but trouble, I know a cousin who has a toshiba laptop < alot better than hell agh dell and everytime he tried to login it would give nothing but errors, Also does the xps have the multi touch mouse pad

tlarkin

VIP Member
You still can't compare an iMac to a build your own desktop, and if you do build it you better include the price of that 20" LED high definition LCD monitor, which would cost you a lot to have, that an iMac has standard.

Gaming is a niche market, just like Linux is. The Macintosh desktop is one designed to do a variety of applications, and not really diving into the niche market, until you get to higher end. Why do you think most of Hollywood and the Recording Industry run off of Macs? If they were such crappy machines why would billion dollar a year industries use them as the standard? Obviously, money is no bound to those giant multimedia corporations they have the money, and they can buy the best systems they want, and they choose to use the Mac platform.

`PaWz

banned
Dude you are slow. Thanks to: Bootcamp,Vmware fusion,Parrael, And more we dont need a pc to play video games
If you want to play videogames with a decent video card, you have no choice but to go with PC

You can custom build a great gaming computer with a 9800GTX and a good 22" monitor for ~$1200. Spending $2,000 upwards, the iMac doesn't even have a comparable videocard

Last edited: