Mac?

`PaWz

banned
No that is built spec for spec. no blu ray

It is missing the ambient light sensor, the SMS sensor, Firewire 800, no HD video output, multi touch track pad (no mention of that on the Dell), and of course all the bundled software that the Mac comes with. That is all well worth easily $300.00.

They both have a standard 1 year warranty, same screen, same processor, same amount of RAM, I didn't upgrade the HD in the Dell, add another $50 to 75 to make it a 200 gig, not a big deal, and same video card, with most of the same spec'd features.

Again I rest my case.
My cheaper Inspiron has HDMI and firewire. I wonder why the XPS series don't have those yet.

tlarkin

VIP Member
My cheaper Inspiron has HDMI and firewire. I wonder why the XPS series don't have those yet.

That is probably how they get away with allowing 25% off coupons, chunk off a few of the more pricey parts/features and then you can allow more of a discount. With out the coupon though the Dell is like almost $200 more than the Mac, so what does that tell you about their pricing to begin with?

As you can see, 4gb ram/2.4ghz/vista home premium/dvd burner/8600/320gigs for $1499

omfgvw3.jpg

The xps for $1499 has the following better than the $1999 macbook pro
ram/hard drive/possibly better blu-ray or better processor depending on upgrades

Last edited:

`PaWz

banned
That is probably how they get away with allowing 25% off coupons, chunk off a few of the more pricey parts/features and then you can allow more of a discount. With out the coupon though the Dell is like almost $200 more than the Mac, so what does that tell you about their pricing to begin with?
I think dell keeps the price up hoping that some of the customers won't see the coupons, so they pay full price, which is a little extra money for Dell

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Travis,

You are not listening to all the features of a Mac. You are still missing some key built in features that you have to add in the Dell

1) Bluetooth
2) ABGN wireless
3) the higher quality sound card that is not software based
4) Firewire 800 (not 400, 800)
5) HD video out (as well as composite via adapter)

Those are not installable (some are, but some aren't) or listed options on the Dell website, I know because I browsed for them. You did get the screen finally, and I also don't see any blu ray on there like you were saying earlier.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
I think dell keeps the price up hoping that some of the customers won't see the coupons, so they pay full price, which is a little extra money for Dell

I believe I have made my share of ignorant comments, and I'm sorry. I really do not know enough about Mac's software bundle or the difference between MacOS and Vista to make an intelligent opinion.

It also helps their margin when people do use the coupons. Dells sales have plummeted over the last two years, and Apple's laptop sales have beat out almost every PC manufacturer for the past two years. I think Acer and Lenovo beat out Apple in overall sales, but as far as growth percentage goes Apple is the number 1 selling laptop right now.

I mean they didn't get 30 billion dollars in their bank account for selling a crap product. Granted some of that was from iTunes and iPods and iPhones, but never the less their laptops are selling a lot more these days.

They went from a 6% market share to an 11ish% market share in like 2 years, that is a huge increase. Vista is killing PC sales. It is only a matter of time before they catch up with the other PC companies.

I believe I have made my share of ignorant comments, and I'm sorry. I really do not know enough about Mac's software bundle or the difference between MacOS and Vista to make an intelligent opinion. I still do stand by the fact that if you just need to watch videos, play music/burn dvds, and browse the web, there is no reason to pay the extra cash for the software that they won't use (which I think you would agree with too)

The differences are huge when it comes to security, and windows xp and vista are actually based off a Unix kernel to begin with, but that is totally beside the point (Unix is like the grandfather of every OS). If you just want to do basic stuff and want a mac, you can buy a Macbook. It comes down to personal preference and Apple is getting more competitive each year. Like I said, I used to be a windows only user until I took the time to learn Linux and Unix and now I really do like OS X a lot more than windows, especially Vista. From an administration side, Unix is a godsend, I can shell script automated tasks for days. I can do the work of 3 people that would normally take days in hours with one simple shell script and network policies.

You could easily just buy a cheap Eee PC if you wanted basics and run Linux, or spend $100 more and buy a copy of windows XP pro.

Like I said, the OP wants to create video and create music (is what I gathered) and the Mac is way better geared towards that out of the box is all. It is all a preference, and I could care less what you use, however I do care that idiots and elitists spread all kinds of ignorance on the subject. Trust me I have a friend who tells me macs suck all the time, but he doesn't even know that much about Mac to begin with. I have to tell him to shut up and ignore him. Like I said, I don't hate windows (except for vista) and I have used it since 3.11 and DOS, and I have chosen to mainly use Macs now as my main computers at work, and sometimes at home as well. It was a choice I made. Then again i didn't pay for my laptop, my work bought it for me, so I chose a mac book pro.

Last edited:
can you see at all? Go to the link, look at the $1499 model. Put the blu-ray on it. makes it $1999 - also the $1499 comes with standard 3 year warranty

for $25 it's the same wireless card as the macbook pro
also, the $1499 includes standard bluetooth seen here
Also, dell xps has a built in fingerprint reader

zomgub1.jpg

Last edited:
So, for $500 less, the dell xps beats the macbook pro in the following areas
ram, hard drive, fingerprint reader, warranty ($1499 comes with 3 years standard)
For less than $1999, it beats the macbook pro in the following areas
ram, hard drive, fingerprint reader, processor, screen (tie)

tlarkin

VIP Member
The one thing I think Apple really failed at was the iPod.

Why? It is way better than any other product out there. I agree that iTunes sucks, but I ended up buying my first iPod recently and got an 8gig 3rd gen nano, and it rocks.

tlarkin

VIP Member
So, for $500 less, the dell xps beats the macbook pro in the following areas
ram, hard drive, fingerprint reader, warranty ($1499 comes with 3 years standard)
For less than $1999, it beats the macbook pro in the following areas
ram, hard drive, fingerprint reader, processor, screen (tie)

Isn't it past your bed time, I already proved you wrong with an actual screen shot of a shopping cart, not the configuration screen.

`PaWz

banned
Why? It is way better than any other product out there. I agree that iTunes sucks, but I ended up buying my first iPod recently and got an 8gig 3rd gen nano, and it rocks.
Because you can get much better for your money.

For example, if you bought the Creative Zen Vision:M, you get the best sound quality you can possibly find for an MP3 player, a sound recorder, radio, better battery life, and 262k colors for video (rather than 64k for the iPod, but who would want to watch videos on a screen that small anyway?), as well as having compatibility with much more video codecs than the iPod. The only major con (certainly not to me) is that it's about twice as thick.

With the iPod, you would have to buy an extra radio and voice recorder attachment, and it has subpar audio quality compared to the Zen's.

Last edited:
dude - you were at the wrong site
Just because the xps has better everything but "software" for the price, you get upset at me? Dude - my screenshot was from the ACTUAL config.

There - are you happy?
Guys, I have to go soon if tlarkin says the macbook pro is better than the xps, show him this
The Dell XPS notebook for $1499 compares with the $1999 macbook pro like this

Dell Xps - 4gb ram
Macbook - 2gb ram

Dell Xps - 320gb hard drive
Macbook - 200gb hard drive

Dell Xps -Graphics Card - 8600
Macbook -Graphics Card - 8600

Dell Xps - Processor 2.4ghz
Macbook - Processor 2.4ghz

Dell Xps - Bluetooth/fingerprint reader
Macbook - Bluetooth

For the processor, you can beat the macbook with a slight upgrade, leaving the xps still over $200 cheaper. The Dell Xps would then win in the following categories for $200+ less - Ram, Processor, Hard Drive, Fingerprint Reader, warranty length, price
The macbook wins in the following categories - screen type, one port

pwnagebs1.jpg

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Because you can get much better for your money.

For example, if you bought the Creative Zen Vision:M, you get the best sound quality you can possibly find for an MP3 player, a sound recorder, radio, better battery life, and 262k colors for video (rather than 64k for the iPod, but who would want to watch videos on a screen that small anyway?), as well as having compatibility with much more video codecs than the iPod. The only major con (certainly not to me) is that it's about twice as thick.

With the iPod, you would have to buy an extra radio and voice recorder attachment

Yeah, but I love how thin my nano is, and I need solid state because I work out with it. I also think the interface is easy to use, and I can navigate it with out looking at it.

I do dislike iTunes though. I don't need it for videos, I have a laptop for that if need be. 8 gigs of music is all I really wanted. It also weighs nothing and I got it for only $130, on sale, so it was a no brainier in my mind.

i really only wanted a portable MP3 player. If I wanted more I would have got an iPod touch, which does like everything and is sleek and thin.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Travis

Refer to post #135, I already configured that exact model to match spec for spec and it is a total cost of - 1619.25 with your coupon. I posted a screen shot as well, of the check out cart with the coupon being applied.

`PaWz

banned
Yeah, I hear ya. But for me I couldn't care less if it weighed a pound and looked like something deformed. I never listen to music while working out, it always annoys me.

And by Solid state, is that the same thing as flash-based harddrives?

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
LOL No I was at the same freaking place my screen shot is from the same freaking web page as yours.

DId you add in Vista Ultimate and the LED high res screen? I don't think you did.

Trust me, I can safely say I most likely know a lot more than you about computers, when you become my age you may know more than me then, but I have been doing this stuff professionally for almost a decade man. I built it spec for spec and the costs with the discounts of that model with the coupon and instant savings applied is on post #135.