Macbook Air!

ride3k

um yeah you can use a optical drive from a different computer! woooo :|

two problems, one i have to get up and go find the computer, then insert it and come back to find that the disk is currupt.

and two. that is a easy enough program to make, i mean it just reads the disk as needed and streems it over.

just my opinion

making the program is just as involved and still requires you to get up and go over to the computer. Plus i bet you didnt spend quite as much time debugging and optimizing you code to work as well as apples program will work

dznutz

my mistake. i saw the word "ultra portable" and thought it was an ultra portable.

in this case it's a crippled sz with no firewire, one usb, no optical drive, soldered ram, non-replaceable battery (?), only integrated graphics, probably some others

but since it's thin i think it will sell.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Yes, you can run xp on it, and i personally have ran xp on the 8gb version. http://youtube.com/watch?v=1XqRo-4EFzc
A laptop is a laptop, just admit it tlarkin, you where wrong.

We aren't arguing fact here, it is opinion. In my mind that is a mobile computing device or and internet application device. Or perhaps even a sub laptop. The Airbook (which I am not really a fan of) to me is the first in its class because no other mobile device can come close to what it is. It has too many features/benefits to be judged in the same class as those machines. That is my point.

Its like comparing a Dodge Neon to a Dodge Challenger. Sure they are both dodges and use some of the same parts, but the challenger is in a different class all together.

This is my opinion, so there is no right and wrong in this matter.

rydin4life

64 or 80 gig hd, 1 usb, no cd/dvd, non-replacable battery, small screen...and then pay 1800 or 3000...not my cup of tea...I'm not a mac person, so I might be biased, but that seems like a HUGE waste of money to me.

Motoxrdude

um yeah you can use a optical drive from a different computer! woooo :|

two problems, one i have to get up and go find the computer, then insert it and come back to find that the disk is currupt.

and two. that is a easy enough program to make, i mean it just reads the disk as needed and streems it over.

just my opinion
This isn't meant to be your main computer, just a travel computer. The idea is, you use that laptop when you are out and about, then come home and it syncs with your home computer.
Sure it is an easy program to make, but it can be a pain in the ass to get it to work flawlessly, something windows remote drive lacks. That's the beauty of macs, when they say something works like this, then it will work. Not most of the time, but everytime (i'm sure there are exceptions, but you get the idea).

I really don't like these...

It has to have an external disc drive, the 64Gb SSD is $999 and if you don't want that you get stuck with 4800RPM and the best CPU is 1.8Ghz... I think for the price of $3000 you could get a Macbook Pro that blows this thing's doors off...

Motoxrdude

I really don't like these...

It has to have an external disc drive, the 64Gb SSD is $999 and if you don't want that you get stuck with 4800RPM and the best CPU is 1.8Ghz... I think for the price of $3000 you could get a Macbook Pro that blows this thing's doors off...

For $3000 you can buy a laptop PC that will blows the door off a mac for the price. But thats not the point, it's meant to be ultra-portable.

For $3000 you can buy a laptop PC that will blows the door off a mac for the price. But thats not the point, it's meant to be ultra-portable.

It's not that much thinner than a Macbook Pro, which is 1"... I think that is more like an ornamental product. I want someone to see how easy it is to snap in half...

GSAV55

I want someone to see how easy it is to snap in half...

Lmao, really don't like mac that much eh?:p
haha, that would be really funny to see though. Image being the guy they ask to snap it "uh, well, sure I guess if you really want me too..."

Lmao, really don't like mac that much eh?:p
haha, that would be really funny to see though. Image being the guy they ask to snap it "uh, well, sure I guess if you really want me too..."

I like Mac and was so tempted to buy a Macbook... I just don't see the point in this notebook if you have to drag an external drive and have a sucky 4800RPM HDD or a $1k SSD.

I am actually gonna buy an iMac or Mac Pro maybe this Summer.

JLV2k5

That thing is cool. I am not a Mac fan but I was impressed with the computers size and battery life. 4 billion songs, wow!

addy999

Well i will not rise my eyebrow for that , it do not surprise me i think Alienware sell laptops with optical ssd ....