Mod My Xbox 360

g4m3rof1337

Alright..
I am looking into modding my Xbox 360. What I mean by that is, adding a side panel for sure, maybe a new heatsink or just adding some AS5? And any other mods that are possible.

Here are some pictures from when I opened mine.

P1010167.jpg

P1010193.jpg

As you can see in the first picture, one side comes completely off, which is where I would cut the panel.

emac227

you just have to find a some where on the board that has enough power coming off it and then solder the wires on it and your good just search it on youtube theres alot of videos on there that will help you i was going to do it to my ps2

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, I say get some cathodes in there and make a window on it. Also, add some cooling, as you know what Xbox's are like, I'm sure.

g4m3rof1337

Yeah, would it be better to just add some AS5 or something on both of those Heatsinks? I don't think I'd be able to find another heatsink for it.

Window will be added for sure, I am actually going to head out in a bit, and see if I can pick up some plexi-glass or something.

I may even paint it.. Depends if I can find a nice color..

I am also going to look into adding a side panel on the DVD drive, I've seen that done as well, I may not go that far, yet.

Thanks.

g4m3rof1337

Alright, so I bought a sheet of plexi-glass, Thermal Compound and two 4'' Green Cathodes.

How hard would it be to power the cathodes inside the 360?

Thanks.

Last edited:

m0nk3ys1ms

I would replace every fan in the console with quailty LED fans. From what I've read about 360 mods, replacing the fans helps a ton with the cooling of the console.

Redbull{wings}

I would be very careful with adding fans that are directly connected to the board. Didn't some people get banned from Live because Microsoft thought it was a mod chip?

g4m3rof1337

Hmm, my bigger concern is powering the cathodes. How do I find out whats giving off enough power, then do i just cut the cathode power tip off and solder them on?

I doubt that would be 'detectable', right?

As for cooling, I am going to apply some thermal compound on both of the Heatsinks, and add a side panel.

Thanks.

4NGU$

VIP Member
is an external power source a possibility ?

just a thought

might be a bit big tho ?

Last edited:

g4m3rof1337

I am not going to watercool it, since I move the thing around constantly.

How big of a power source are we talking? If it will save me the possibility of messing up the 360, and seeing how to current power brick is huge, dont think it makes much of a difference.

Is soldering tricky? Like can I make a fatal mistake and mess the whole board up? I just get confused when I have to 'find' the circuit giving off the most power, and just solder it on?

Thanks.