Mod My Xbox 360

g4m3rof1337

I am probably going to go to my friends house tomorrow, and we're going to do the side panel, and maybe try adding a side panel on the DVD drive, add the cathodes, and probably add some fans as well, and add the thermal compound, and maybe paint the thing.

Thanks.

m0nk3ys1ms

I would be very careful with adding fans that are directly connected to the board. Didn't some people get banned from Live because Microsoft thought it was a mod chip?

Yea, I read that as well. I would probably set up the new fans and cathodes to be setup to be powered by an external source, as someone else suggested.

JlCollins005

im sure its virtually undetectable since xbox live checks the kernals and stuff not power usage if that was the case people who bought the lil cooling fans that plug into the back would have got banned.. but u can change the hsf, u can get i believe its amd or intel not possitive but server hsf which are lowprofile actually fit pretty nicely

g4m3rof1337

Alright, so, we added the cathodes, applied the thermal compound, cut the side panel, and painted the Xbox.

My friend is currently finishing everything up, he's going to pick up some trim, since I couldn't find any when I picked the other stuff up.

He's going to drop it off later tonight, pictures will be posted of before, during and after.

sho95

I hope you know you voided your warranty. I would love to mod mine but with all the heating issues that it still has I rater not mod to keep my warranty. In fact I have one next to me that got to go back to microsoft for repair. This will make it my 5th one going back in two yrs.

g4m3rof1337

I know I voided my warranty.. I thought I had mentioned that in the first post, guess not. I originally opened my Xbox cause the DVD tray wouldn't close. I opened the Xbox and the DVD drive, and couldn't find anything. So I took it to a repair shop, and they fixed it. Before I opened it, I called Microsoft to see if they would fix it. The guy said I could ship it out to them for $100 plus shipping. And I've heard numerous horrific stories about sending it in, so I opted not to.

And since it's already been open, why not mod it out?

Pictures will be up soon.

g4m3rof1337

Warning, lots of pictures.

Xbox360Mod110.jpg

Xbox360Mod114.jpg

Xbox360Mod117.jpg

Xbox360Mod119.jpg

Xbox360Mod121.jpg

Xbox360Mod122.jpg

Xbox360Mod123.jpg

Xbox360Mod126.jpg

Added:
Two 4'' Green Cathodes.
Applied Thermal Compound to both of the Heatsinks.
Installed a Clear Side Panel, with Trim.
Painted the Outside of the case, Air Duct, and the top of the DVD Burner, a Hammered Silver.

All in a days work.

Last edited:

shenry

Very nice job on that side panel you got there.

IMO you should go over the writing with black or something so you can read it better. Otherwise it's pretty much perfect I'd say.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Looks great! I like the color selectin for the paint, but I would have done blue cathodes. (I'm not much of a green fan :D)

g4m3rof1337

Thanks, my friend who posted here, HousofBugs, helped me do everything.

Thanks again.

Later today, I'll post before and after pictures.

Last edited:

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks great,nice paint job aswell ;)

was it hard finding somewhere to wire the Cathodes to?

houseofbugs

I wired the cathodes off of the 12V line coming from the XBOX 360 power pack. We are getting the negative from the chassis as it is the negative/ground. I wasnt that hard but we did a good deal of wire hiding. Hotglue is a GREAT invention along with the dremel.

JlCollins005

nice work, im not a fan of the color but it did turn out nice.. im change in power ring from green to blue and doin a blue and black theme, ill see if i can find some pics of the one i did i did a chameleon paint on it its looks sweet