MSI 8800GT $208 @ Dell

Geoff

VIP Member
I was even thinking about upgrading, but after seeing some benchmarks the 8800GT only outperforms the 2900XT by a small margin.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
The 2900XT is a great card, and is what nearly $400 still?

I was going to wait on the new GTS, but regardless. It will come out to be around $150 cheaper. If the GTS is going to be at or around $350

Geoff

VIP Member
The 2900XT is a great card, and is what nearly $400 still?

I was going to wait on the new GTS, but regardless. It will come out to be around $150 cheaper. If the GTS is going to be at or around $350
It is a great card, it's just extremely power hungry and very hot.

They cost about $330 now, although the HD 3870 is slightly better and cheaper.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];826242 said:
It is a great card, it's just extremely power hungry and very hot.

They cost about $330 now, although the HD 3870 is slightly better and cheaper.

So then just wondering, a 500W PSU wouldn't power a 2900XT would it?

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Thats crazy!, thats why I like 7600GT's no external power source needed for such an amazing performance. Or at least in their times.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];826366 said:
Just make sure to remove the ATI drivers and utilities before shutting down your PC to install the new card.

So all i do is uninstall the drivers the best i can through device manager? driver cleaner doesn't work on vista :(

Ramodkk

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];826366 said:
Just make sure to remove the ATI drivers and utilities before shutting down your PC to install the new card.

Just making sure, I also want to get the 8800GT, when I do (IF I do!) I just uninstall any nvidia video drivers from my 7600GT right? Then I can install the newer drivers from the nvidia site right? or do I have to install the ones that come with the CD with the card?

Geoff

VIP Member
So all i do is uninstall the drivers the best i can through device manager? driver cleaner doesn't work on vista :(
You dont need a third party program, just remove the ATI software from the add/remove programs menu, uninstall the driver from the device manager, and anything else that you believe is related.

MatrixEVO

I bought two of the 8800GTs from Dell. I'm going to sell one on ebay, they're going for over $300, and have high shipping prices, so I have a good chance of profit.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];826409 said:
You dont need a third party program, just remove the ATI software from the add/remove programs menu, uninstall the driver from the device manager, and anything else that you believe is related.

If this doesn't, im going to blame you :p

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
I was reading, some people say you have to uninstall the drivers, reboot in safe mode, delete all registry entrys with "ATI" and shut down and install the new card..

is this necessary?

Geoff

VIP Member
I was reading, some people say you have to uninstall the drivers, reboot in safe mode, delete all registry entrys with "ATI" and shut down and install the new card..

is this necessary?
You could if you want, but you dont need to. You only need to uninstall the drivers, but it's a good idea to delete the ATI programs as well.

If you're really paranoid. Run a search for "ATI" and delete everything that comes back to you related to the deleted software.

memory

I don't understand something. Why is this card so cheap? I looked on ebay and newegg and all the 8800gt cards are $300 plus.

I am thinking about ordering one for the new computer I plan to build this winter. When will the prices drop on these cards? Some people say the 11th, is that December or January?

I was going to get the 8800gts but everybody says that this card is a whole lot better.