My $800 budget gaming pc.. please help!

bball4life

Encore4More said:
I'll agree with that one. Thats a pretty nice setup for the price, good job compiling everything. The only thing is the power supply, rosewill's are ok power supplies, but then again its your best option for the price.

And I like the Asus mobo more too.

Last edited:

SC7

Very nice setup, encore4more. I apoligize for my post seeming quite arrogant earlier.

Anyway, the only thing I would be concerned about in that build is possibly the power supply and it's rails. It does, however, seem to have good reviews, so it looks like a good buy.

JG30

Everyone I'm in a similar situation as the OP (as far as pricing goes at around 1k) and am finding this thread very interesting. I've been away from the computer world for a while now as I haven't had the time to keep up like I use to. Everyone is recommending the AM2 socket. The last time I was around computers the 939 was just really catching on.

I'm curious if someone could go about explaining the advantages of the AM2 socket and why it is desirable. Is it do to being the future socket of choice? Or does it actually perform better then the 939 right now? From what I saw the cpu and mobo are actually cheaper on the AM2 side then the 939.

Also to add can someone tell me whats going on with the conroe from intel? Has it been released? If not when? I remember reading that it was going to be far better then the AM2 but that was a while ago. I'm curious if someone could give me an update on this.

Sorry for asking questions I probably could answer myself but I need to build this computer for a friend rather soon. I have been to busy working to actually catch up on all the latest stuff. Usually I would just research for myself but time really isn't allowing that. Thanks everyone.

Bobo

banned
Adam Murray said:
Yeah, I am interested in the differences between the AM2's and the 939's as well...
The only real difference is that AM2 has one more pin and supports DDR2. The processors are the same, except for a few new models and the lower power models.

bball4life

Adam Murray said:
SC7, I don't know if they are stable.. How can I find out? What PSU would you suggest??
if possible, like an antec, seasonic, or even your original psu, super flower is a pretty good brand

Bobo

banned

bball4life

Adam Murray said:
About the PSU's...

In Praetor's Computer guide for gaming computers with an $800 budget, he recommends getting this PSU...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189005 ($48.99)

How would you compare that to the one I currently have selected?
which is this one - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182017 ?
Just hope neither of them fry out after a month, they do seem to have good reviews, but you can't always trust the reveiws on newegg.

Dr Studly

banned
JG30 said:
Everyone I'm in a similar situation as the OP (as far as pricing goes at around 1k) and am finding this thread very interesting. I've been away from the computer world for a while now as I haven't had the time to keep up like I use to. Everyone is recommending the AM2 socket. The last time I was around computers the 939 was just really catching on.

I'm curious if someone could go about explaining the advantages of the AM2 socket and why it is desirable. Is it do to being the future socket of choice? Or does it actually perform better then the 939 right now? From what I saw the cpu and mobo are actually cheaper on the AM2 side then the 939.

Also to add can someone tell me whats going on with the conroe from intel? Has it been released? If not when? I remember reading that it was going to be far better then the AM2 but that was a while ago. I'm curious if someone could give me an update on this.

Sorry for asking questions I probably could answer myself but I need to build this computer for a friend rather soon. I have been to busy working to actually catch up on all the latest stuff. Usually I would just research for myself but time really isn't allowing that. Thanks everyone.
With that budget i think we should count out AM2... it has been explained well to you, but i'm sure everyone here would agree that you should go down this type of route:

Approx: $956

bball4life

Well it would be worth the extra $150 but if his budget is $1000 then why is this thread "my $800 budget gaming pc". The one he has set up its a great comp for $800.

m0nk3ys1ms

bball4life said:
Well it would be worth the extra $150 but if his budget is $1000 then why is this thread "my $800 budget gaming pc". The one he has set up its a great comp for $800.

You can still get a Core 2 Duo for $800.

SC7