My first gaming rig

spirit

Staff member
You can use a wrist strap if you like, but simply touching the screw and not moving a lot will be fine.

I used to like the wrist straps when I wasn't as confident, but they tend to get in the way a bit so I don't tend to bother with them now.

Darren

Staff member
I don't think even doing all of that is necessary. I just touch the case before I start putting parts in. Works fine for me and never had a problem. That's how a lot of other people do it as well. I've heard about people saying you need to plug into a grounded outlet and touch a bare screw but I've never done that and never had a problem. Not saying that's wrong but might be a little unneeded.

spirit

Staff member
I don't think even doing all of that is necessary. I just touch the case before I start putting parts in. Works fine for me and never had a problem. That's how a lot of other people do it as well. I've heard about people saying you need to plug into a grounded outlet and touch a bare screw but I've never done that and never had a problem. Not saying that's wrong but might be a little unneeded.

If you simply touch the case without having the PSU plugged into ground (ie - plugged into the mains), then the case is not grounded and therefore you will not be grounding yourself if you simply touch the case without having it connected to ground somehow.

GT5fan123

in my opinion it might be better to use that wrist strap just to make sure i'm grounded all the time, i use wool socks a lot and i got a quite big carpet on the floor so the strap might be better?

spirit

Staff member
in my opinion it might be better to use that wrist strap just to make sure i'm grounded all the time, i use wool socks a lot and i got a quite big carpet on the floor so the strap might be better?

Yes it probably will because it should keep you constantly grounded, though if you can I would not the wool socks just on this occasion. The carpet will be OK so long as you are not rubbing components or putting them directly on carpet. Put them in or on top of their cardboard boxes when you're not using them.

GT5fan123

okay it's not a problem to remove them but my room floor is f***ing cold always when the winter comes and i got a convector heater but it'll heat only the air, not floors

GT5fan123

guys, i was thinkin' here that should i get a cheaper case (cm or fractal, or recommend ur own) and a 60gb ssd and put the money towards a better gpu?

PCunicorn

That's fine, but do you mind showing me a list of your current chosen parts? A 200R is a good case, and get a SSD by Crucial, Samsung, or Intel.

GT5fan123

okay, i put it again here with prices (although it's on page 3)

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3, AMD AM3+, 990X/SB950, DDR3, ATX (109,-€)
CPU: AMD FX-6300, AM3+, 3.5GHz, 6-core (112,80€)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO (34,90€)
GPU: XFX AMD Radeon HD7850 Core Edition, 2GB GDDR5, 2xDVI/HDMI, 2xMiniDp (129,-€)
RAM: Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) HyperX Beast, 1600MHz (98,-€)
SSD: Kingston 120GB (84,-€)
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB (65,-€)
PSU: Corsair CX600M (80,-€)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R (99,90€)
Optical Drive: ASUS DRW-24F1ST (23,-€)

so, should i get a 60gb ssd, cheaper case and find somewhere a cheaper 8gb ram and put the money towards a better gpu?

spirit

Staff member
Look for a Corsair 200R.

You could get a 60GB SSD if you are only intending to install the OS and one or two programs on the SSD.

I would keep the RAM.

See if you can get a 7870 or an R9 270X if money allows.

GT5fan123

okay, i'll check anyways if i can find a bit cheaper 8gb ram.

I let you guys know when i have found those specific parts

GT5fan123

I've found cheaper 8gb ram 85,90€ (1600 mhz), the 200r case way cheaper than 330r gaming tower (60,90€), 60gb ram (69,90)

GT5fan123

set up changing a bit... I'm gonna buy a friend (my classmates friend) almost non-used set up for 175€ (it has no mobo and gpu), adding missing parts and replacing some with the parts from that set up what i planned to buy

spirit

Staff member
What spec is his setup?

You may be better off buying all the parts new if his parts are worse than what you originally had planned.

GT5fan123

well, they're not that bad but here's the set up what's left of it

Case: THERMALTAKE Commander USB 3.0
Processor: AMD FX-4100 Processor
Ram:8GB 1600MHZ DDR3 NON-ECC CL11
DIMM
HDD: WD Red 1TB 3.5 SATA 6GB/s 64MB
PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX 500W 80+ BULK

spirit

Staff member
Looks OK but the FX-4100 is old and was always quite weak (the 4300 was quite a big improvement).

If it was me making the decision, I'd pass and instead buy the FX-6300 and the 990FXA board and all of the other stuff you wanted, since it's quite a bit better, in budget and is new.