My first gaming rig

GT5fan123

i will pass some of those parts, but like i said, it has no gpu and no mobo so i need to buy them and put them on to the rig. I'll put the 990xa am3+ board and fx-6300 cpu, the r9 270x gpu, ssd and cpu cooler there, maybe the cx600m psu, the hdd seems to be ok

spirit

Staff member
Sounds OK then. The RAM he has looks fine except it's CL11 and CL9 but you shouldn't notice much, if any, difference.

GT5fan123

OK, I'll know tomorrow if my classmates friend will keep some of the parts, so maybe I'll get the windowed case from him and everything else from the webshop

PCunicorn

The FX 6300 can be OCed to 4 GHz with any decent aftermarket cooler. But I still stand by my reccomendation to get a 8320 for only $40 more.

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Both the FX-6300 and the 8320 will overclock well.

If you can afford the extra, get the 8320, if not, the 6300 is a capable gaming CPU for the money. :)

GT5fan123

unfortunately i can't afford 8320 coz of the price. I'll be fine with the 6300 and it's good to hear that i'm not gonna fry it when oc:ing it to 4ghz, maybe lil' more.

spirit

Staff member
unfortunately i can't afford 8320 coz of the price. I'll be fine with the 6300 and it's good to hear that i'm not gonna fry it when oc:ing it to 4ghz, maybe lil' more.

Yeah you should be able to get a 6300 to 4.2GHz, just be careful with the overclocking though. Make sure the voltage and temperature isn't too high, and also stress-test it using Prime95 on 'blend' to run the CPU at 100% load. If it crashes, then you know your overclock is unstable and you need to adjust it.

If the temperature is too high, decrease the voltage, since that is what usually causes high temperatures.

If it's unstable, try upping the voltage a little, or lowering the multiplier (which the number which determines the frequency/'GHz' the CPU is running at).

I would do a bit of research before you overclock. It may take a while to find an ideal overclock, but there is lots of information on the internet to help you. :)

GT5fan123

i've done some research a bit (from my friend) about the oc process and i'm still thinkin its rocket science, doing more soon, next week maybe

PCunicorn

It's really not, just keep the same voltage and up the multiplier until the system is unstable, than up the voltage. And make sure temps are under 75C.

PCunicorn

What I would do is get rid of the CM 212 and get a FX 8320 with the saved cash. You could OC the 6300 with that cooler and still stay worse than a 8320 at stock.

GT5fan123

I checked on 8320 again and it had 3.5 GHz as stock (same as the 6300) but the 8320 is 8-core CPU and 6300 6-core CPU so there's a difference, and if I'd get rid of the Hyper 212 CPU cooler, I still can't afford the 8230, it's price tag is quite high :D

BTW, will it run games faster when the CPU has more cores if they both have stock 3.5GHz? (sorry for asking but I know very little about PC components)

2. question: I've checked on this forum the guide for OCing the CPU but I didn't understand it, so can someone list the OC process to this thread (for example like this:
1. do this thing
2. do that thing etc.

or like this:

- do this thing
- do that thing etc.)

Sorry if that was messed up a bit but I hope that you understand what i mean by listing

Last edited:

Jiniix

Most games don't use more than four cores anyway. So if they both run at 3.5GHz and have more cores than the game can use, the performance will be identical. But with AMDs Mantle coming out, it supposedly supports eight cores. That would boost the performance, as it would be able to spread the workload out on all the cores.
I would probably suggest getting the 8320 too, then, some day, buy a better cooler and overclock it. Maybe we'll see some good deals in December.

GT5fan123

OK, I was thinking that I might order this set up in January (usually here in Finland begins sales), so the parts will be 20-50% cheaper than now so the total price will be around 680-770€ (saving 70€ from the 850€ budget)

Jiniix

You should look into a CPU cooler in my opinion. The stock ones tend to be quite loud and have poor cooling performance. But it's easier to upgrade from stock cooler to a good one, rather than upgrading the CPU.
By easy I mean in terms of money, find the right part, figuring out what to do with the old part etc. The process of doing it is pretty much exactly the same :D

Last edited: