My new water cooling setup (w/Photos!)

Geoff

VIP Member
Before you all get excited, I actually don't have the kit built yet, I am just starting the thread now to tell you what I bought and what to expect from the build here, as this is going to be an ongoing project, and when I finish I will also post a DIY-style guide.

All the components are schedules to arrive this afternoon via FedEx, unfortunately I am working until 11PM tonight, so it won't get built until tomorrow morning, so in the mean time here is a list of components that I will be using:

Water_cooling_parts.jpg

I will continue to edit this page as I get further along in the project, I expect that either by late tonight or tomorrow morning, I will have the water cooling setup built, although not installed (for leak testing).

EDIT: I needed a few extra barbs and connectors, so those parts should be here sometime next week. When they arrive I will post a detailed description along with photos on the install process.

EDIT 2: I got the rest of my parts in the mail today (really surprised since I ordered it on Friday afternoon).

I have everything configured and installed, and is in the process of leak testing it. It's been running strong for an hour so far and it doesn't appear to have any leaks yet. I'm also surprised at how quiet the pump is, and I can't wait to get it installed. Everything should be installed in my PC within the next few days.

EDIT3: Everything is done! Click here for all the photos! http://www.computerforum.com/880039-post54.html

Last edited:

JLV2k5

Looks cool. I need to do some research on water cooling because I know its sick. Will you use any case fans with the system that is water cooled??

WhiteFireDragon

everything was bought at one place? where was that? i'm also building a water cooling system but i'm going all out from the very beginning instead of upgrading the parts after a year or two. costs about $420 and i'm buying everything at once also. but for now, i'm saving up money until i hit that 420 mark

MatrixEVO

Geoff, I wanna put the kit in with you. Your doing it tomorrow morning? I've always had the water-cooling idea in the back of my head, but it always seems dangerous and tedious to install and maintain.

Geoff

VIP Member
Looks cool. I need to do some research on water cooling because I know its sick. Will you use any case fans with the system that is water cooled??
Yes, I am using the stock fans that came with my Antec 900, although I will set them to low/medium speed instead of high like it is now.

Love the tubing, where is your coolant and anti corrosion ?
Thanks, so do I. I am using distilled water (after performing a few flushes to make sure all the minerals are out). My plan is to see how distilled water alone performs, I do not want to add anti-corrosion additives as it will make the liquid conductive.

everything was bought at one place? where was that? i'm also building a water cooling system but i'm going all out from the very beginning instead of upgrading the parts after a year or two. costs about $420 and i'm buying everything at once also. but for now, i'm saving up money until i hit that 420 mark
Yes I did, I bought everything from www.jab-tech.com, they are a great site with great prices, and they ship quick too!

Looks good Geoff! Put it in, Put it in! :D
Geoff, I wanna put the kit in with you. Your doing it tomorrow morning? I've always had the water-cooling idea in the back of my head, but it always seems dangerous and tedious to install and maintain.
I ended up with a kink in my plan, after I started getting everything setup I realized that the waterpump didn't come with the 1/2" to 3/8" conversion kit which I thought it did, so I had to buy two adapters and some 1/2" ID tubing. I also need another pair of 3/8" barbs for the reservoir, so the setup isn't ready for even testing yet.

I ordered the parts from jab-tech this afternoon via USPS Priority, so hopefully it will be here around next Wednesday.

MatrixEVO

[-0MEGA-];874174 said:
I ended up with a kink in my plan, after I started getting everything setup I realized that the waterpump didn't come with the 1/2" to 3/8" conversion kit which I thought it did, so I had to buy two adapters and some 1/2" ID tubing. I also need another pair of 3/8" barbs for the reservoir, so the setup isn't ready for even testing yet.

I ordered the parts from jab-tech this afternoon via USPS Priority, so hopefully it will be here around next Wednesday.

Oh, that's a bummer. I look forward to seeing it working.

Geoff

VIP Member
Oh, that's a bummer. I look forward to seeing it working.
I know, so I'm thinking of getting the radiator and the tubing cut to size now, so I'll be ready when the new parts come.

Definitely by next Saturday though before all the others come over.

dznutz

thanks for making the list for those of us who are new to water cooling.
looking forward for the finished product.

WhiteFireDragon

[-0MEGA-];874174 said:

wait so you're going to have two different sized tubings in your loop? wouldn't that have some flow restrictions at the 3/8" tubings?

taylormsj

[-0MEGA-];874174 said:
Thanks, so do I. I am using distilled water (after performing a few flushes to make sure all the minerals are out). My plan is to see how distilled water alone performs, I do not want to add anti-corrosion additives as it will make the liquid conductive.

Thats the same as me, but your water block may corrode after a while, because the top is aluminium.

wait so you're going to have two different sized tubings in your loop? wouldn't that have some flow restrictions at the 3/8" tubings?

Its not going to make any noticeable difference in flow rate or temperatures IMO

Geoff

VIP Member
The water pump itself has 1/2" inlets and outlets, so it needs a conversion kit for 3/8".

Thats the same as me, but your water block may corrode after a while, because the top is aluminium.
Hopefully not for a while, I'm hoping that it at least lasts until Intel releases a new socket type. Although IMO, I'd rather have to replace the CPU block then to have the system leak with conductive coolant, and then damage more components.

MixedLogik

Wow, I was always to scared to do a water-cooled system because I thought it would ruin my parts. Props to you Omega.

Geoff

VIP Member
Wow, I was always to scared to do a water-cooled system because I thought it would ruin my parts. Props to you Omega.
Thanks, I know not many people talk about water cooling, and this is a little project i've been planning for a while. I can't wait for the new parts to come in so I can get the thing installed.

why did you go with 3/8" tubing?
1/2" provides better performance with your pump.
Well honestly the difference is very minor, in fact you can stretch 3/8" tubing around 1/2" barbs, although theres really no point. I went with 3/8" ID (5/8"OD), because I heard that having the 5/8" OD is a bit better when it comes to kinks at the end of a barb or when you bend the tubing. But to be quite honest the main reason was because the store at the time didn't have any 1/2" barbs in stock, so I would have had to wait a while or order from another source, so I just went with the 3/8".

I'll probably switch to 1/2" tubing and barbs when I need to replace my CPU waterblock, or if I decide to watercool my video card.