My new water cooling setup (w/Photos!)

Geoff

VIP Member
i always thought that the PSU has to be connected to the mobo for it to turn on, until i saw your little paper clip trick. can you take another pic showing or just tell me which pin you connected the two ends of the paper clip to connect the circuit?

1.jpg

I will probably have this installed on Thursday, so I will post some more pics then.

Geoff

VIP Member
I finally got the water cooling system installed! It's not as neat as I was hoping, but it's the performance I get definitely off sets that.

I'm already late for work so I don't have time to upload all the photos and the steps I took, but heres a teaser photo and a screenshot of the temps*.

IMG_3070.jpg

WC_Temps.jpg

*The speedfan readings aren't correct, as it's about 65F in my room (SpeedFan shows 45F for the cores). Although SpeedFan reported ~20C for the cores, and around 28-35C for the CPU temps, so it's a huge drop in temperature already! Now when I get home i'll do some overclocking and hope that the temps stay much lower then on air (I was hitting 73C at 3.6GHz :eek:)

taylormsj

Looks interesting, any water in a 900 is an achievement :)

I think your temps will be a lot nicer to you on load now, the jump from idle to load is much lower on water than air :D

More pics

Geoff

VIP Member
Looks interesting, any water in a 900 is an achievement :)

I think your temps will be a lot nicer to you on load now, the jump from idle to load is much lower on water than air :D

More pics
The 900 is very cramped when it comes to trying to install a water cooling system, finding a place for the pump was the hardest. And I agree, I'm sure load temps will be even better since water can transfer heat much quicker/more efficiently then air.

only the CPU in the loop? are you going to add the GPU or NB later?
Yes, I thought about cooling the video card but in all honesty, the card runs cool enough. It never gets close to overheating, and unless I was volt modding it theres really no need to liquid cool it. Besides, if I did then the water going to the CPU would be warmer and less effective. As for the NB, it runs at about 25C, and the current heatsink and heatpipes are more then enough to deal with that.

Nice one 0MEGA, welcome to the liquid club XD

Congrats looks mint!
Thanks!

That looks good! Cramped though! :eek:

Where's the rad?
outside, on top of the case of course. where else would that outer wire lead to? i'm also assuming you're res is out there on top?
Yes the radiator is on top, and the reservoir is on the side. Pics will follow in my next post (uploading now).

Geoff

VIP Member
IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3056.jpg

IMG_3058.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

IMG_3070.jpg

WC_temp.jpg

And as I said before, SpeedFan doesn't have the right temps, although it used to show about 20C for the cores so it's great right now! BTW, the temp in my room is only 54F since I had my windows open while I was at work, haha.

I'm going to start overclocking now.

MatrixEVO

[-0MEGA-];880052 said:
Stable at 3.6GHz so far :)

Cmon, hit 4GHz! If the temps are good and the voltage isn't insanely high at 4GHz, then I say go for it. Are you going to test for stability with something other than 1M super PI?

Geoff

VIP Member
Cmon, hit 4GHz! If the temps are good and the voltage isn't insanely high at 4GHz, then I say go for it. Are you going to test for stability with something other than 1M super PI?
I'm at 3.8GHz right now. I'm mainly just testing using SuperPi to see if I can hit speeds and get a simple benchmark to run. I'm going to run a real stress test once I find a nice stable speed.

Geoff

VIP Member
I tried running it at 4.05GHz (450MHz FSB), but it won't boot completely into Windows, it crashes right before the logon screen. I tried bumping the voltage up to almost 1.6v, but I don't want to go higher (at least for now).

I'm at 3.85GHz now which seems to be stable so far.

xxxalpinexxx80

that looks like 1/2 tubing is it? or is it 3/5 or somthin near that, with all my fans on high i just poped it to 3.6ghz in 1 minuite i think i could get to 3.8 or even 4.0 but this weekend when i get the time i will try, i have b3 stepping i doubt it is a huge amount of temp differnce, and i wish i had the same case as you, boy my motherboard just makes fits perfectly. and the case isnt that big, how much do those antecs cost, i want to get 1 : )

Cameron

What temperatures are you getting in your NB with the FSB OCed that much?

Also, what are threshold temperatures for the NB? WHen is at danger of being damaged?