Need help building a new cpu

Jabes

banned
oh yea, and one more thing...I've been reading that the quad core processor that you selected can be overclocked to insane amounts (3.4 or higher). So I'm wondering if 1.) is it safe? 2.) If I do overclock it and have two disk drives and a media reader (sd cards) ...will I have a large enough power supply? and will the computer keep cool enough?
I think that power supply will work you just should get a better cpu fan if your going to oveclock it

I have read that link, whats your point? Nothing was said there that impressed me.

And let me make sure you get this straight, I do NOT hate Vista. I just think it's not ready yet. Just like I did not hate XP before I got it, it just was not ready until SP2 came out for it.
ok then stop talkin down on vista

tyl2704

I read about that tower case, seems to be built for cooling lol. The case itself comes with four fans, three 120mm fans and one top-mounted 200mm fan. So are you saying I should get more fans? or just better fans? Because in all honesty I don't know what a good cpu fan is. Come to think of it there wasn't a cpu fan on the list made for my pc.

Jabes

banned
I read about that tower case, seems to be built for cooling lol. The case itself comes with four fans, three 120mm fans and one top-mounted 200mm fan. So are you saying I should get more fans? or just better fans? Because in all honesty I don't know what a good cpu fan is. Come to think of it there wasn't a cpu fan on the list made for my pc.

the retail cpu comes with a stock fan that goes over top of the cpu and its good if you aren't gonna overclock but if you overclock I recommend that you get a better one

paratwa

ok then stop talkin down on vista

No, you quit talking UP vista! :)

Yeah, I agree with Jabes, at least about the cpu fan. :) But when I listed that system for you, I was trying to keep it under $1500, so I skimmped on the CPU fan. Which is really only needed if you are going to overclock. But it is not a bad idea to put one on anyways, just to help keep temps as low as they can go.

A cpu fan is the fan that goes on to the CPU it's self. It clips on to the cpu. It is not a case fan.

Last edited:

Jabes

banned
your saying buy a better cpu fan to replace the top-mounted 200mm fan that comes with the case?

here is a stock cpu fan that goes overtop of the cpu
intel_775_fan.jpg

and they're ok if you aren't going to overclock it but a better fan is recommended if you do overclock

tyl2704

I'll have to look up how to attach it, I have no idea how to "clip it" on the cpu...I'm afraid I'll break the cpu. God I hate being a first time builder lol. Well I don't think I'll overclock it for awhile, but I'd like to have a fan that when the time comes that I do overclock..the cpu stays relatively cool.

Could you list a fan that would be good but not too expensive?

Also is it worth it to overclock the quad, or is it already good enough?

paratwa

Zalman 9700 is nice.

ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118020&Tpk=zalman%2b9700

And there is another version with a led light.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019
This is the version I used, but I bought it locally and they did not have the one without the light, or I would have gotten that one. There is really no difference between the 2 otherwise. But I have heard someone say that the one without the light cool's a little less because of the color of the fins . I have no idea if that is true or not.

And the quad will do very nicely stock.

Last edited:

tyl2704

does anybody know if this thing would fit in a mid-sized tower like the one listed? From what I've read this fan is very good but also VERY large.

paratwa

As long as you have a full size ATX motherboard it should fit. If you are running a very long video card, it could possibly interfere with that fan.

Now if you were trying to put it in a micro case, then no. If you wanting to use that Antec 900 case, then it is not a problem at all. Quite a few people here use that Antec case and have the 9700 fan.

tyl2704

Awesome! So I'm assuming from what you've said it doesn't matter that my Q6600 isn't in the fans compatibility list:

Intel 775 Celeron D Pentium 4 Pentium D Core 2 Duo
AMD AM2 Sempron Athlon 64 Athlon 64 X2 Athlon 64 FX
754 Sempron Athlon 64
939 Athlon 64 Athlon 64 X2 Athlon 64 FX Opteron Dual-Core Opteron
940 Athlon 64 FX Opteron Dual-Core Opteron

tyl2704

sorry in case it sounded like I was being sarcastic, didn't mean for it to come off that way.

AAHH! Am I forgetting a lot?? Don't I need a sound card, a network card, an IEEE card, etc.??

Last edited:

Jabes

banned
sorry in case it sounded like I was being sarcastic, didn't mean for it to come off that way.

AAHH! Am I forgetting a lot?? Don't I need a sound card, a network card, an IEEE card, etc.??

lol no all that stuff is on the motherboard and that cpu fan should work

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Awesome! So I'm assuming from what you've said it doesn't matter that my Q6600 isn't in the fans compatibility list:

Intel 775 Celeron D Pentium 4 Pentium D Core 2 Duo
AMD AM2 Sempron Athlon 64 Athlon 64 X2 Athlon 64 FX
754 Sempron Athlon 64
939 Athlon 64 Athlon 64 X2 Athlon 64 FX Opteron Dual-Core Opteron
940 Athlon 64 FX Opteron Dual-Core Opteron

It will work... [no guarantees] but... If it's not in the compatibility list, then it might not cool sufficiently. That fan was MADE FOR those CPU's... It's like saying: I'm going to use my Socket 478 fan from my Pentium 2GHz to an Pentium 3.6GHz <- Not going to work very well. Overheating that is :rolleyes:

paratwa

A sound card and IEEE and network card are built into that motherboard I picked. So you do not need to buy seperate devices.

If you want/need a add in board for sound, you can install one. But unless you are an audiophile and will be listening to your audio on some top end speakers, or hooking your system up to a home stereo system, you really do not need an after market sound card.

Once again, if you want one I can help you pick one, just let me know.

tyl2704

Sounds great, yea I wont be needing a separate sound card then. At this point the less money the better. About the fan though....do you recommend getting a different one since it wasn't built for that exact cpu, or do you think it will be fine. If I ever do overclock that cpu it would be only to 3.0Ghz.....and thats a big "IF".

Last edited:

tyl2704

oh and which video card is better? The GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB that you selected or the NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB that my friend has. Id like wich ever one is best, so far his video card is pretty sweet...thats why I'm curious.

oh I just found another video card similar to the one you selected, it's the e-GeForce 8800GT SSC 512MB...it's slightly more expensive than the one you chose...is it better?

sorry for all the questions!

Last edited:

Joe2005

The 8800gt owns the 8800gts for now.*

*sometime in the future Nvidia is going to update the 8800gts and it will beat the 8800gt but will be more expensive.

tyl2704

so is the GeForce 8800GT SSC 512MB much better than the GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB, enough to warrant the $40 dollar difference?