November Folding Marathon

Rocko

You only need 1 instance of F@H running. It seems like your system is doing nothing because its trying to process 4 different WU's.

ScottALot

ScottALot what are you using to fold btw, your stats are way higher than everyone elses, im talking both your overall stats and your stats since we started this marathone.

Pretty sure it's a dedicated GTX 260.

2011-11-09190625.jpg

2011-11-09190537.jpg

2011-11-09190553.jpg

Rocko

I don't know which guide you read, but you should be folding with SMP:4 with your i7. An SMP client is one client, folding with all four cores. This will produce much faster results, leading to more bonus points via SMP bonuses.

I honestly would just grab the v7 client, and follow the instructions when installing. Input the same passkey, name, and team info, then fold away;

https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/wiki/BetaRelease

mihir

VIP Member
Ok done. Folding now with all my cores. Thanks to voyager.

If any one else has any issues folding on all cores.
Here is the link again http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinSMPGuide
1.Download the client
2.Rename it FAH6
3. Make a folder C:\FAH6
4.Copy the client in the folder
5.Run Command Prompt as an Administrator
6. Navigate to the FAH6 folder using cd .. and cd FAH6
7.Type in fah6.exe -configonly -smp
8.Configure it, using your CoFo Username and team id.
9.Once you have gone through all the settings.Exit the client.
10.Do step 5 and 6 and then type in fah.exe -smp

jonnyp11

also i want to point out that the window isn't a live progress meter, it only tells you when you have gone up 1 percent, so when running 4 of those and medium sized packs it will take it a good long time. also it helps to move it off of the low priority i think.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Ok done. Folding now with all my cores. Thanks to voyager.

If any one else has any issues folding on all cores.
Here is the link again http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinSMPGuide
1.Download the client
2.Rename it FAH6
3. Make a folder C:\FAH6
4.Copy the client in the folder
5.Run Command Prompt as an Administrator
6. Navigate to the FAH6 folder using cd .. and cd FAH6
7.Type in fah6.exe -configonly -smp
8.Configure it, using your CoFo Username and team id.
9.Once you have gone through all the settings.Exit the client.
10.Do step 5 and 6 and then type in fah.exe -smp

Alternatively you can configure it to run as a service so you don't have to manually run it. To stop folding as a service, simply enter task manager, look for the Folding@Home service, and stop it.

also i want to point out that the window isn't a live progress meter, it only tells you when you have gone up 1 percent, so when running 4 of those and medium sized packs it will take it a good long time. also it helps to move it off of the low priority i think.

I have it running on low priority instead of idle so it'll work faster.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

i run mine on above normal. but when i set mine up i just ran the program and it cam up with all the configuring stuff and all, but i forgot to do the advanced options so i could up the requested cpu usage to like 90%, and also it seems to mainly use core 2

voyagerfan99

Staff member
You can edit the config file manually. Then you just restart the client. Go into the FAH6 folder and open the config file with notepad.

jonnyp11

meant to put in there that on the other one before this configure where i had done the advanced stuff i could have done that, but on this configuration since i didn't edit the advanced it doesn't show them in the file, can someone post the coding and like where to put it or anything, this is what it shows

(i like the green letters on black, tempted to go to red/blue though)

voyagerfan99

Staff member
[settings]username=voyagerfan99team=44358passkey=15a06050f15bf79fe2e87cb3dfec7422asknet=nomachineid=2bigpackets=normal[http]active=nohost=localhostport=8080usereg=no[core]priority=96cpuusage=100checkpoint=5addr=[clienttype]memory=4096type=0

jonnyp11

thnx, core1 still seems to be doing less but it's doing over half all the time now it seems, and core 2 is about the same

voyagerfan99

Staff member
When I first started it maxed out the CPU but it hasn't since I modified it. I may just reconfigure it after this work unit.

jonnyp11

i don't think it would work too well if i got it maxing this out since i'm running it, on here, listening to pandora, looking at a plot summary and typing a few small essay thingies for a rediculous project assigned monday and due earlier today :eek: (i pissed the girl in my group offf, but the other wasn't there so we couldn't do anything anyways and if that ... hadn't told the teacher we coulda put mine with the other girls and put it all on and she never woulda known, but she did so she hates me more than she already did, a lot, but even my mom hates that woman, my teacher taught my 47(i think)y.o. mom in high school and college)

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I didn't feel it was working right for me, so I deleted it and re-configured it. Now it's maxing out my CPU :) Just hope it does that every time the service starts. I set it to idle priority this time though.

EDIT: So I've determined if you run it as a service it doesn't max out the CPU
Edit2: So I maxed out my CPU for several hours and just now I hit 35% on the work unit and my computer BSoD'd on me.

Last edited:

CrayonMuncher

@scottalot

Yeah i am also using a dedicated gtx 260, I find it funny how the ps3 says it will take 8 hours to complete but the gtx 260 does it in about an hour to hour an half.

One thing I wanted to ask is about the WUs on different clients for example using the CPU client it says on WU is out of 1000, so when I check progress it says something like 20/1000 whereas on the 260 it says 12400/20000 (currently but I have never seen it drop below 0/15000), I think the PS3 is also different. What is the reason for this? Is it different depending on the amount of cores it has to work on? On different clients is WU the same amount of info or is it more?

Thanks.

Rocko

There all different types of WU's. Most modern GPU WU's are core 16's, the older are core 11, where modern SMP (CPU) are a4, the older are a3. You really cannot compare WU's of different cores when it comes to the amount of steps (xxx/20000, for example) because they are computing in different ways.

Gooberman

:/ I didn't fold much this week my GT 240 just made everything feel slow and the CPU didn't add to score ;(

voyagerfan99

Staff member
am i right in thinking it is all over?

Correct. It ended at 12AM PST.

I'm compiling the scores right now and will post them momentarily.

Unfortunately due to unknown technical difficulties Mihir's stats were lost on CyberSpace. He'll still get a prize for folding.

The results are as follows:

ScottALot 53836
Kobaj 40724
Crayonmuncher 22038
voyagerfan99 6173
Gooberman 5739
Nyxcharon 1762

Total Team Production Points: 133739

Prizes will be selected largest point value to smallest point value.
Thanks a lot to everyone who participated! You all helped save researchers time and helped the entire human race too!

Last edited: