OC'ing E6300

PabloTeK

I'm guessing you have PC2-5300 RAM, so when you hit 338 your RAM will be at 667MHz because DDR doubles the clock speeds. Any higher and the memory will be overclocked because the FSB and memory frequencies are linked. Not sure if you have PC2-6400 though.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Sorry, I phrased it wrong. This is what I meant to say:

When you hit 338 Mhz, your RAM will be at it's stock speed. Anything above that, and you then begin to overclock it.

Ah right, It's Ok, I get what you mean!
I think I'd probably leave it at 338Mhz, I don't really want to OC my RAM...

Kornowski

VIP Member
I have PC5400, it runs at 675Mhz.

Do you OC GCR?

You have a heat spreader so it'll help, my RAM stays fairly cool at 800MHz with it's orange RAMsink on.

Yeah, it has a heat spreader on, but is that all I need to keep it cool?

Last edited:

PabloTeK

Not done so yet, I'm hoping for help from Rambo so watch this space. If you got to 400MHz you'd be seeing 2.8GHz and to get to 3GHz you need an FSB of about 430MHz.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Not done so yet, I'm hoping for help from Rambo so watch this space. If you got to 400MHz you'd be seeing 2.8GHz and to get to 3GHz you need an FSB of about 430MHz.

Do you think you need the extra performance from your CPU?
Yeah, either 2.4, or 2.6 I'd be happy with to be honest.

PabloTeK

Well proving an overclock killed a CPU is very hard because as soon as you take it out of the system it's just at stock as all the information for controlling the chip is held on the motherboard EPROM and a clearing of that can disprove overclocking should the whole thing die. But that's very rare.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, there is very little chance of it being killed. But it's in the back of my head all the time, is that not the case with you?

Then, IF it does break, I can't be bothered sending it back and waiting...

PabloTeK

Well I'm used to waiting, Rambo knows what I mean... And that sort of thing doesn't worry me as these CPU's can take an inordinate amount of strain, for example they're pumping enough current to kill a couple of hundred people through them. So they are well-built.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, I heard they can take up 1.450 volts and the stock is 1.3250.

Do you think you'll OC it, If I do OC, I'd be happy with it @ 2.4 or 2.6

PabloTeK

I will do in good time, although it takes me a while to do anything. I'd be happy with 2.8GHz and even happier with 3GHz!

Kornowski

VIP Member
How come it take you a while to do certain stuff...

Yeah, I'd be well happy with 2.4 as it would of cost me £100 for a £150 CPU :p

Rambo

Kornowski, I also have PC2-5400 RAM. However, I have mine overclocked to 800Mhz with no problems at all. I added +0.2v (in fact, that's only +0.1v because our RAM requires 1.9v in the first place, and 1.8v is the default setting when set to normal voltage). You just need to realise how easy it is to overclock, and how risk-free it actually is. ;)

Kornowski

VIP Member
Alright, Thanks for some more words of wisdom Rambo :)

I have a few questions though:

1) Do I have to disable EIST and C1?

2) What do I set my RAM timings to, or do I leave it how it is?

3) How long can I expect my OC'ed system to last?

4) What should the voltages be at, I know the Vcore is @ 1.3250, all the others I will leave, but what about eh vRAM, vFSB and the vMCH?

5) Will my Southbridge get hot, I haven't touched this to see how hot it is... My Northbridge is warm, but by no means hot.

6) Are you sick of me yet :p

Rambo

Alright, Thanks for some more words of wisdom Rambo :)

I have a few questions though:

1) Do I have to disable EIST and C1?

2) What do I set my RAM timings to, or do I leave it how it is?

3) How long can I expect my OC'ed system to last?

4) What should the voltages be at, I know the Vcore is @ 1.3250, all the others I will leave, but what about eh vRAM, vFSB and the vMCH?

5) Will my Southbridge get hot, I haven't touched this to see how hot it is... My Northbridge is warm, but by no means hot.

6) Are you sick of me yet :p

1) Yes. This will put less strain on the Northbridge, thus allowing it to run cooler/stabler.

2) Set it to 2.0. Then keep raising the FSB until you reach 338 Mhz.

3) At least 7 or 8 years sounds about right, but then again, I cannot guarantee anything.

4) Set the MCH to +0.1v. That should be just about it.

5) It's not the Southbridge, it's the Northbridge. It will be fine. Just check up on it every now and then. Adding 0.1v isn't going to do much though. I've surged the max into it before (+0.3v), and I haven't had any problems.

6) Just about. :p

Kornowski

VIP Member
Thanks a lot Rambo! :)

Two final questions, will my PSU be Ok?

Also, What should I set the DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) to?

Thanks so much for the help and advice Rambo!

Last edited: