OC'ing E6300

Geoff

VIP Member
Thanks a lot Rambo! :)

Two final questions, will my PSU be Ok?

Also, What should I set the DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) to?

Thanks so much for the help and advice Rambo!
You're PSU should be fine, just take a loot at the voltages to make sure that they arent too far off from what they should be. Such as the +12V being at 11v, etc.

Im not sure what RAM you have exactly, but for overclocking the CPU I would select higher then needed timings, to ensure that the RAM isnt bottlenecking. I would set it to 6-6-6-18 for any speed up to DDR2-950, any higher and I would raise it a bit more. I would also set the voltage to 2.05-2.10v.

Rambo

[-0MEGA-];686442 said:
You're PSU should be fine, just take a loot at the voltages to make sure that they arent too far off from what they should be. Such as the +12V being at 11v, etc.

Im not sure what RAM you have exactly, but for overclocking the CPU I would select higher then needed timings, to ensure that the RAM isnt bottlenecking. I would set it to 6-6-6-18 for any speed up to DDR2-950, any higher and I would raise it a bit more. I would also set the voltage to 2.05-2.10v.

Well, in my opinion 6-6-6-18 is a bit much, but that's debatable, so... but yeah, Omega has it right, set the timings to higher settings, either the ones he suggested, or my personal preference is 5-5-5-15 (unless they are your stock timings, in which case, follow Omega's ones). Set the RAM overvoltage to +0.1v for now, and the MCH to +0.1v too. You should be fine up to 338 Mhz with that.

Edit:

Now that I think about it, you're not going to be overclocking your RAM so you shouldn't change any RAM settings.

Kornowski

VIP Member

Ok sure, Thanks, I'll take a look, but I think I remember them being fine.

Now that I think about it, you're not going to be overclocking your RAM so you shouldn't change any RAM settings.

Alright, so I'll leave all the RAM stuff as it is, but still put the ratio to 2.0 (1:1) right?

Leave the timings and the voltages, should I put them on manual but leave them as they are so the BIOS doesn't change them and damage anything?

hermeslyre

VIP Member
If your only planing to mildly overclock then just do it! You probably wouldn't even need to bump to mch unless you're going higher.

Rambo

If your only planing to mildly overclock then just do it! You probably wouldn't even need to bump to mch unless you're going higher.

I think the extra +0.1v gives it that extra bit of stability - I read a few articles/reviews on the Gigabyte (D)S3 (granted, about 9 or 10 months ago) which stated that they couldn't get very far without upping the MCH voltage a tiny fraction. But Kornowski, feel free to try not bumping it up one notch if that's what you'd prefer. You can always up it if you find yourself unable to reach 338Mhz or find it becoming unstable.

:)

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ok, Thanks for the replies, I'll try leaving it and then if there is any reason to up it a little, I'll try it. :)

Sorry to be a pain:

Alright, so I'll leave all the RAM stuff as it is, but still put the ratio to 2.0 (1:1) right?

Leave the timings and the voltages, should I put them on manual but leave them as they are so the BIOS doesn't change them and damage anything?

hermeslyre

VIP Member
I think the extra +0.1v gives it that extra bit of stability - I read a few articles/reviews on the Gigabyte (D)S3 (granted, about 9 or 10 months ago) which stated that they couldn't get very far without upping the MCH voltage a tiny fraction. But Kornowski, feel free to try not bumping it up one notch if that's what you'd prefer. You can always up it if you find yourself unable to reach 338Mhz or find it becoming unstable.

:)

It may very be like that with a C2d.. All i knows it that i can oc my Athlon to 2.8 + no voltage bumps whatsoever. In fact I actually got stability problems when I tried raising the chipset volt +0.1. My chip/mobo may just be alergic to voltage.. i dunno

Rambo

It may very be like that with a C2d.. All i knows it that i can oc my Athlon to 2.8 + no voltage bumps whatsoever. In fact I actually got stability problems when I tried raising the chipset volt +0.1. My chip/mobo may just be alergic to voltage.. i dunno

You're using a completely different processor on a completely different board. ;)

Kornowski said:

Yep, that sounds about right. :)

Geoff

VIP Member
Well, in my opinion 6-6-6-18 is a bit much, but that's debatable, so... but yeah, Omega has it right, set the timings to higher settings, either the ones he suggested, or my personal preference is 5-5-5-15 (unless they are your stock timings, in which case, follow Omega's ones). Set the RAM overvoltage to +0.1v for now, and the MCH to +0.1v too. You should be fine up to 338 Mhz with that.

Edit:

I just said that to be on the safe side, since you can lower it later. This way you dont have to worry about the RAM causing your system to become unstable. I certainly didnt intend him to leave it at those timings :rolleyes:

And what do you mean he's not overclocking the RAM? When you raise the FSB you also raise the memory speed. You can set a divider but you can only go so low before even the lowest multiplier is higher the stock speeds.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Well...

I set the RAM Ratio to 1:1 (2.0) and set all the RAM options to manual but left them how they were...

I set the PCI-e frequency to 100Mhz and set all the system voltages to manual and left them how they were and set the CPU voltage to 1.32500v

I also disabled EIST and C1E.

I'm running @ 2240Mhz at the moment, and my idle temp has gone from 38c to 42c.

Before OC'ing my Northbridge was warm, but it has got hotter (it doesn't burn my finger), why is this, I haven't altered the voltage on it? Am I Ok to carry on?

My Super PI score has dropped by a second, so I don't know why it hasn't had a bigger performance increase, I'm going to see if I get more FPS now.

Rambo

[-0MEGA-];686972 said:
I just said that to be on the safe side, since you can lower it later. This way you dont have to worry about the RAM causing your system to become unstable. I certainly didnt intend him to leave it at those timings :rolleyes:

And what do you mean he's not overclocking the RAM? When you raise the FSB you also raise the memory speed. You can set a divider but you can only go so low before even the lowest multiplier is higher the stock speeds.

He changed the memory multiplier to from 2.5 to 2.0. Therefore, the speed it's running at is slower than it's stock speed. He plans to stop at around 340 MHz which will make it run at it's stock speed again. That's why he's not overclocking it .

Well...

I set the RAM Ratio to 1:1 (2.0) and set all the RAM options to manual but left them how they were...

I set the PCI-e frequency to 100Mhz and set all the system voltages to manual and left them how they were and set the CPU voltage to 1.32500v

I also disabled EIST and C1E.

I'm running @ 2240Mhz at the moment, and my idle temp has gone from 38c to 42c.

Before OC'ing my Northbridge was warm, but it has got hotter (it doesn't burn my finger), why is this, I haven't altered the voltage on it? Am I Ok to carry on?

My Super PI score has dropped by a second, so I don't know why it hasn't had a bigger performance increase, I'm going to see if I get more FPS now.

Kornowski, just keep going until you hit around 340 MHz. Then your RAM will be running normal again (so at the minute, your not going to notice a heck of a lot of improvement, since you've overclocked your CPU but underclocked your RAM at the same time).

Kornowski

VIP Member
Well, I just got to 2390Mhz (I think it was that, It was just under 2400) and then I went to increase the FSB again from (I think) 320 to 330 and it powered off and came back on and then the screen didn't display anything, it said not a supported resolution, the PC tried to boot again and then just went back to stock settings, I'm stock at the moment...

When I was at 2.4 (ish) my FPS hadn't increased in RS: Vegas and my Super PI score went from 28 to 25 seconds.

However, it did go from about 20, to 35 in Cellfactor: Revolution.

Rambo

Well, I just got to 2390Mhz (I think it was that, It was just under 2400) and then I went to increase the FSB again from (I think) 320 to 330 and it powered off and came back on and then the screen didn't display anything, it said not a supported resolution, the PC tried to boot again and then just went back to stock settings, I'm stock at the moment...

When I was at 2.4 (ish) my FPS hadn't increased in RS: Vegas and my Super PI score went from 28 to 25 seconds.

However, it did go from about 20, to 35 in Cellfactor: Revolution.

Yeah, you probably want to up the MCH +0.1v to give it that little extra juice it needs. And in Cellfactor, that's a 75% increase!

Kornowski

VIP Member
My Northbridge was warmer than it used to be, I hadn't increased the voltage in it though, is it safe to carry on?

I didn't notice any increase at all in Rainbow Six though.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Alright, So I will give it a go tomorrow...

I don't want to buy a fan or a new cooler to put on, rekon I'd need it?

Howcome you've lowered yours to 2.8 Rambo?

Geoff

VIP Member
He changed the memory multiplier to from 2.5 to 2.0. Therefore, the speed it's running at is slower than it's stock speed. He plans to stop at around 340 MHz which will make it run at it's stock speed again. That's why he's not overclocking it .
Oh I see. I raised mine to almost 500Mhz FSB, which is why even on the lowest divider I was higher then stock speed.