OC'ing E6300

taylormsj

TBH i doubt you will need a new CPU cooler as the C2D dont get that much hotter when OC'ed. My CPU even when overclocked 500 MHZ goes about 3 C higher than not over clocked at full load . as long as you leave the voltages the same the temp wont get much higher at all and wont damage the CPU at all either. And if you overclocked and the computer wouldnt boot. Just take the battery out for a minute and bakc in and BIOS will be reset. No danger realy at all

Kornowski

VIP Member
My CPU even when overclocked 500 MHZ goes about 3 C higher than not over clocked at full load

You have a Zalman cooler though?

I'm really considering it, but again, as usual, I'm worrying I'll do something wrong. Cock it up and it'll be bust and the warranty won't count.

Master Mind

[-0MEGA-];661060 said:
Yes overclock it! Who cares about the warranty, you wont have that processor for 3 years anyways :p

exactly right -0MEGA- thats exactly what i say to the paranoid C2D owners. the first minute i got this cpu in my computer, i overclocked it. i didnt give a crap about the warranty. personally, thats the reason i even bought the E6600 cpu..... because it can overclock! MASSIVELY!!!

Master Mind

Master Mind

You have a Zalman cooler though?

I'm really considering it, but again, as usual, I'm worrying I'll do something wrong. Cock it up and it'll be bust and the warranty won't count.

if your looking for a good heatsink, ive read many reviews on the Tuniq Tower 120 HS/F, awesome cooling for S775 cpus.... very good overclocking too....

Master Mind

Kornowski

VIP Member
exactly right -0MEGA- thats exactly what i say to the paranoid C2D owners. the first minute i got this cpu in my computer, i overclocked it. i didnt give a crap about the warranty. personally, thats the reason i even bought the E6600 cpu..... because it can overclock! MASSIVELY!!!

The warranty, if it breaks you don't have to buy a new one.

So, basically, All I need to do it up the FSB a little? What would you suggest I put it up to?

Rambo

The warranty, if it breaks you don't have to buy a new one.

So, basically, All I need to do it up the FSB a little? What would you suggest I put it up to?

It's running @ 266 now, right? So push it up to 280Mhz. You should be able to go all the way up to 400Mhz with ease. What is your RAM speed?

You and Rambo have pretty close specifications. 400Mhz FSB wouldn't be 2.4Ghz, it would be 2.8Ghz. I would go a bit higher on a PSU, you're gonna need it in the future anyway.

Kornowski

VIP Member
So what do I do, change the FSB or the MHZ.

Or is the 266mhz the FSB? I'm new to this you see.

Just to get it straight, changing the FSB is all I have to do?

So you think I should give it a go, stock cooling and thermal paste, 34c - idle.

Think I should try it?

ducis

no if you want to acually raise your temps and get to 3ghz ull need t raise its vcore uppin the FSB doesnt make your cpu hotter so its risk free but ull only gain a hz

heres a list
step 1: adjust your fsb to ram clock ratio t 1:1
step 2:lower you multiplier to as low as it can go
step 3: raise FSB
step 4: raise you multiplier back again as far as it can go before you get unstable
step5: raise voltages
step5: repeat steps 3,4,5 untill your high temps cause errors
step6:lower clocks until stable
step7: enjoy lighting fast performance

Rambo

step 4: raise you multiplier back again as far as it can go before you get unstable

I don't understand why you would want to do that. I'm not saying that you're wrong, but what's the point?

The way I did it, was by upping the FSB from 266 to around 280 and continued from there. To be honest, you should be able to take it to atleast 350 Mhz.

Edit: Kornowski, have a look here:

http://www.computerforum.com/70708-e6300-oc-only-up-2387mhz-need-advice-2.html#post546163

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
heres a list
step 1: adjust your fsb to ram clock ratio t 1:1
step 2:lower you multiplier to as low as it can go
step 3: raise FSB
step5: raise voltages
step5: repeat steps 3,4,5 untill your high temps cause errors
step6:lower clocks until stable
step7: enjoy lighting fast performance

That sounds very complicated and risky, I don't know if I want to do that.

The way I did it, was by upping the FSB from 266 to around 280 and continued from there. To be honest, you should be able to take it to atleast 350 Mhz.

Right, So I'll just try changing the FSB to 280 and see how it goes, I don't want to mess with any RAM timings, or voltages for anything.

Also, if it goes wrong and won't boot, just remove the battery on the board, I have tried removing it in the past, and I've had a little trouble, is there any special way to do it?

Rambo

Right, So I'll just try changing the FSB to 280 and see how it goes, I don't want to mess with any RAM timings, or voltages for anything.

Also, if it goes wrong and won't boot, just remove the battery on the board, I have tried removing it in the past, and I've had a little trouble, is there any special way to do it?

Yeah, that sounds fine. It's really not as bad as you think. And my DS3 sometimes resets itself to default BIOS values when it doesn't boot up (some sort of safety feature). Either way, you're safe.

Now do it already!

Kornowski

VIP Member
untitled2kz1.jpg

Well, a small OC to 2 GHZ. It's running Ok, I haven't tested it yet though, how do I do that?

Also, is it right for it to shutdown after exiting the BIOS after saving the changes? It starts up Ok aftet that though.

My temps are getting higher too, from 34c to 38c, I may invest in an aftermarked cooler.

So, you guys are sure I can't damage my CPU at all doing this?

I really appriciate the help, thanks a lot Rambo :)

Kornowski

VIP Member
One more thing, is there anything that I have to keep an eye on, like other hardware's frequencies or anything, or the north/south bridge temps, how do I check these?

Maddhatter

i've been told its impossible to fry an intel chip from overclocking...supposedly the pc will just shut down before any damage is done.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Oh right, I don't know, I've never heard that, I thought you could fry any chip from OC'ing it too much.

Also, another thing I noticed was that when I hit the reset switch the computer would just turn off, it wouldn't reset, but I'll test this more tonight when I'm back from college.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
to test your overclock download Orthos:
http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm
It runs two instances of Prime95 on both cores simultaneously to stress test the Overclock. An overclock is generally accepted to be stable if it can pass a 24hr stress test.. Just remember to do the test on the OC you want to keep, else it would take you days to finally get there.

After I OC in the BIOS then save and exit it sometimes doesn't post, like you, it doesnt seem to be a problem though.

The only damage you can do to you CPU when overclocking is by upping the voltages too much.. Call me psychic but i don't think you'll have that problem:p

My reset switch doesnt even work, so i can't help you there.

:D

Last edited: