*Official* Post Your Pictures Thread

spirit

Staff member
Here's the RAW file. Processed in Lightroom 4, it's 20.4 MB! :eek:

DSC_000412012-2.jpg

spirit

Staff member
Thanks. I've got a lot of reading to do. I also got the 'Nikon D3200 for Dummies' book - 300 pages on how to use this baby SLR! :eek:

spirit

Staff member
^ YES! How else would I suddenly have gotten a Nikon D3200? Found one under a bush? ;)

Here is another shot, processed in Lightroom (taken in RAW, ISO-800)

DSC_000912012.jpg

Going to London on Saturday. I know we're seeing the Christmas lights and going on the Eye at 4.00pm (so it'll be just getting dark). Should get some nice photos! I need to buy a bag before then though, and maybe another memory card. Shooting in JPEG Fine + RAW takes up a lot of space!

spirit

Staff member
What's the resolution on your 5D MkIII?

Yeah, there's still a few things I need to get. I'm going to London on Saturday, so I need a case and another SD card (got 16GB atm, gonna get a 32) before then. I'll get some other stuff later. :)

Can you see the improvement of quality? It's early days for me yet, but as I type this I am reading up on how to use this baby SLR. :)

Jamebonds1

Yeah, there's still a few things I need to get. I'm going to London on Saturday, so I need a case and another SD card (got 16GB atm, gonna get a 32) before then. I'll get some other stuff later. :)

Can you see the improvement of quality? It's early days for me yet, but as I type this I am reading up on how to use this baby SLR. :)

Order on internet would be better way. I got 16 GB card for 7 dollar.

spirit

Staff member
I'm not getting it in London, I need it before Saturday so I'm going to go into Norwich and get it all on Thursday or Friday. :)

spirit

Staff member
Yeah I'm doing JPEG + RAW though at the moment, so it's more like 300-400 shots, but I can see myself going completely RAW one day.

Geoff

VIP Member

22.3MP

Can I see an improvement in what, going from JPG to RAW or from my 7D to 5D?

Yeah I'm doing JPEG + RAW though at the moment, so it's more like 300-400 shots, but I can see myself going completely RAW one day.
I would advise against shooting in JPEG + RAW, as it causes your memory card to fill up about 1/3 as quickly, you get reduced FPS, and it's redundant as you are already shooting in RAW and can simply batch convert them to JPEG's on the computer.

The biggest advantages of shooting in RAW is that you can easily adjust the white balance, exposure, etc. without effecting the quality of the image.

G80FTW

Holy crap. Iv obviously been away from photography too long! My last camera was 3.34MP and I thought it looked amazing! It wasnt a DSLR, but only because it did not have a changeable lens, other than that though you could still modify everything and the times went from 1/3000 to 3 seconds.

But even then, I remember my dream camera the Nikon D40 was only 6MP and that was like the top of the line camera!

Geoff

VIP Member
Holy crap. Iv obviously been away from photography too long! My last camera was 3.34MP and I thought it looked amazing! It wasnt a DSLR, but only because it did not have a changeable lens, other than that though you could still modify everything and the times went from 1/3000 to 3 seconds.

But even then, I remember my dream camera the Nikon D40 was only 6MP and that was like the top of the line camera!
Haha, well the D800 has a 36.3MP sensor :eek:

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/

spirit

Staff member
Can I see an improvement in what, going from JPG to RAW or from my 7D to 5D?
That and can you see a difference between my bridge and SLR?

I would advise against shooting in JPEG + RAW, as it causes your memory card to fill up about 1/3 as quickly, you get reduced FPS, and it's redundant as you are already shooting in RAW and can simply batch convert them to JPEG's on the computer.

The biggest advantages of shooting in RAW is that you can easily adjust the white balance, exposure, etc. without effecting the quality of the image.
Yeah I think I'm going to just shoot in RAW now. Yesterday I was doing RAW + JPEG - I found myself not bothering at all with the JPEGs and only processing the RAWs. It's a lot easier to edit the RAWs and you get much better results!

My D3200 is 24.2 MP and that's a baby D-SLR. :) The only other camera with a higher resolution I think is in fact the D800, 36 MP! :eek:

G80FTW

My D3200 is 24.2 MP and that's a baby D-SLR. :) The only other camera with a higher resolution I think is in fact the D800, 36 MP! :eek:

Id love to buy a camera and go shooting again, however after some searching Im a bit puzzled as to why the D40 is still so high priced? I remember back when I first seen it it was like $800, and its still over $500. Why is a 6 year old camera $500+? My E990 was about $250 in 1999 and it certainly isnt worth a penny now.

spirit

Staff member
Not sure why you'd even consider buying a D40 new in this day and age when newer alternatives are available. It was succeeded by the D3000, which was then succeeded by the D3100, which was then succeeded by what I have, the D3200.

I guess it just held it's value? Or people still want them?

G80FTW

Not sure why you'd even consider buying a D40 new in this day and age when newer alternatives are available. It was succeeded by the D3000, which was then succeeded by the D3100, which was then succeeded by what I have, the D3200.

I guess it just held it's value? Or people still want them?

I suppose there wouldnt be a point in paying the same price for dated technology over new. I figured since the D40 has aged, it would be more in the $100 range.

spirit

Staff member
I suppose there wouldnt be a point in paying the same price for dated technology over new. I figured since the D40 has aged, it would be more in the $100 range.

In the second hand market it'd cost maybe a bit more than 100 bucks, but it shouldn't be $500 new. There's no point paying for that for the D40.

It seems like most of the Nikon D-SLRs from the 2007/08 era are still quite pricey though. The D90 was the prosumer D-SLR and yes, the price has fallen over the past 5 years or so, but it still costs £555 over here new, which is odd as apart from the lack of in-built auto-focus and the 18-105 kit lens, the D5100 is a better camera and yet is is cheaper than the old D90. I believe Nikon still make D90s too!

Of course though, the D5200 has come out to replace the D5100 now. ;)

G80FTW

In the second hand market it'd cost maybe a bit more than 100 bucks, but it shouldn't be $500 new. There's no point paying for that for the D40.

It seems like most of the Nikon D-SLRs from the 2007/08 era are still quite pricey though. The D90 was the prosumer D-SLR and yes, the price has fallen over the past 5 years or so, but it still costs £555 over here new, which is odd as apart from the lack of in-built auto-focus and the 18-105 kit lens, the D5100 is a better camera and yet is is cheaper than the old D90. I believe Nikon still make D90s too!

Of course though, the D5200 has come out to replace the D5100 now. ;)

Im getting lost. How many generations of cameras am I behind now? haha