Official Superpi Mod Ranking Thread

El Gappo

I have always wondered if this is just me, but does super pi seem very unstable? I can overclock my system to pass any stress test for hours, to work under normal use for days and days, but if I run super pi, it will do it for a couple of loops then stop responding, and occasionally it will do a full run (like the one I submitted) :confused:

You need to delete the files that appear when you fail a run ;)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, requests to update the thread will be deleted. It was updated 6 days ago and he said he'd update once a week. Remember, a week is 7 days, for those of you that forgot how to count. :p

If it ever goes beyond 7 days, PM bomber, please don't post in the thread.

bomberboysk

Yeah, requests to update the thread will be deleted. It was updated 6 days ago and he said he'd update once a week. Remember, a week is 7 days, for those of you that forgot how to count. :p

Yeah, i have it so that once/week for me is every friday;)

mihir

VIP Member

sorry didnt read that part I guess about updating every week

memory

Here is my superpi score.

Is that in the normal range for my setup? I plan on overclocking further. So far my temps are not that bad. Load temps are in the middle 60's. Although I figured they would be better with the cooler I have.

meticadpa

Here is my superpi score.

Is that in the normal range for my setup? I plan on overclocking further. So far my temps are not that bad. Load temps are in the middle 60's. Although I figured they would be better with the cooler I have.

It's about normal, yes.

Though you need the memory tab open for this to be legit, and a timestamp, and your forum username...

Also, bit of advice: don't use the 20x multiplier. Even multis never really work as well as uneven ones, so enable turbo mode to use the 21x multi, and you'll have 4.2GHz, but you'll probably need to up your voltage a bit to get that stable.

Just so you know... Super Pi isn't meant to be performed at your 24/7; the reason some people's scores are so high is because their overclocks are just a quick bench at a higher clock speed than could plausibly be stable.

When you run Super Pi, do it in Diagnostic Mode, and close everything you can except the SuperPi.exe when you're running it.

Temperatures are about right. i7s run very hot, especially with HT enabled. You're good until like 85C - that's when I'd start to worry about temperatures.

87dtna

For super pi, 10 seconds of 90's is not going to hurt a thing. CPU is only 25% loaded. For super Pi, definitely disable hyper threading it's not needed at all. Hell, you can even shut off two cores so it doesn't create as much heat too.

meticadpa

For super pi, 10 seconds of 90's is not going to hurt a thing. CPU is only 25% loaded. For super Pi, definitely disable hyper threading it's not needed at all. Hell, you can even shut off two cores so it doesn't create as much heat too.

Forgot to mention that.

Pi is single threaded. Disable all but 1 or 2 cores.

87dtna

Did an air cooled run on my 550 just for kicks-

SPI49ghzI3550.jpg

87dtna

I have dreams of hitting 6ghz but I doubt it on this chip. My old 540 only got to 5.65ghz on DICE, this has one higher multi of course so I'm guessing ''only'' 5.8 or so max.

The 540 would also hit 5ghz on air, this 550 won't unless I probably take it to 1.6 Vcore which I won't do again because I fried my 540 with high voltages.

And definitely want to get over 5ghz on the Phenom II, I hear AMD's take to cold better than intel's (which is good because AMD's can't clock for beans on air) so looking forward to my first AMD on DICE as well.

bomberboysk

I have dreams of hitting 6ghz but I doubt it on this chip. My old 540 only got to 5.65ghz on DICE, this has one higher multi of course so I'm guessing ''only'' 5.8 or so max.

The 540 would also hit 5ghz on air, this 550 won't unless I probably take it to 1.6 Vcore which I won't do again because I fried my 540 with high voltages.

And definitely want to get over 5ghz on the Phenom II, I hear AMD's take to cold better than intel's (which is good because AMD's can't clock for beans on air) so looking forward to my first AMD on DICE as well.

Yeah, AMD chips don't coldbug, which is why they were able to run LHE on them, intel chips on the other hand will coldbug at low temps(one guy i know had a chip that CB'ed at -35c, but still ended up getting some great clocks out of it on air).

87dtna

Well I'm hoping that the cold gives AMD more headroom. Like with intel, you can get most of what you are going to get on air, and you get a little more on the cold. See I got to 5.1ghz with water cooling on my 540, and got 5.65 on DICE (with .1 more voltage too). So thats only 550mhz more on DICE than on water. Hoping the AMD does the opposite, poor clocking on air but unleashes under the cold.