ordering tomorrow

Decadence

you sure? because i searched yahoo and i found some article in some other message board that had a post saying the mobo only supports a max 1.9V and the ram i chose is 2.1V....im guessing that post was wrong? I cant seem to find the infamous list of compatible ram with this particular ASUS mobo.

Geoff

VIP Member
You may actually be right, since that motherboard isnt listed on OCZ's motherboard supported list.

This RAM says it runs at 1.9V-2.0V, so that may work.

spike27z

NO, I'm sure it would be the same for the sli version too on this. I have an M2N-E and the voltage cap on the ram is 1.95v. ocz is mostly set to 2.1v

get corsair, I had to return my ocz for it because at the time I got my system, it was so new there weren't reviews for the mobo and no one knew about the ram voltage cap.

edit: just actually read the rest of the posts. you wont notice 4/5

there's always overclocking

Decadence

cool, thanks everybody. So here is a recap:

RAM needs to be switched to the green corsair stuff and i won't notice a difference in the latency drop.

gettin a DVD burner->that samsung that i chose will not reduce CD-ROM read speeds

the PSU will indeed comply with the MOBO

One more question- When you say the voltage is capped at 1.95V, that means that 1.9V, 1.9-2.0V, 1.9-2.1V, and 1.95V will all be compatible because they are all either 1.95 or under?

Geoff

VIP Member
Decadence said:

RAM needs to be switched to the green corsair stuff and i won't notice a difference in the latency drop.

gettin a DVD burner->that samsung that i chose will not reduce CD-ROM read speeds

One more question- When you say the voltage is capped at 1.95V, that means that 1.9V, 1.9-2.0V, 1.9-2.1V, and 1.95V will all be compatible because they are all either 1.95 or under?
It's G.Skill memory, and im saying that it looks like it will work, since it works at 1.9V. And the latency wont be much different, since some manufacturers tell you the latency when it's running at DDR2-667, thats what happened with my old DDR2-800 memory, but it will still tun fine.

The CD-ROM speed of the DVD-Burner is 48x, and the difference between that an 52x will be virtually non noticable.

The PSU us a 20+/-4 Pin, so it should work in your 24-Pin motherboard.

Im not 100% sure on all of this, so you should wait to hear what others have to say before purchasing this.

PC eye

banned
You can go with Kingston or Corsair to replace the OCZ memory and spend less. The 20/4pin connector is standard for the older Socket A and Intel boards. The reason I am pointing this out is the attempt here to see if a 20pin not 24pin connector on the older supply would work out. It didn't! I had to run out and grab a revised 24pin model that fired the system up immediately when connected. Make you order a supply with the 24pin btx connector on it. On some boards you may be able to get away with a 20/4pin type especially on one of the newest boards out. The btx server type connector is now becoming a standard on atx boards as well as the others.

spike27z

Decadence said:

it'll have to be 1.95v or under for the mobo to support it. because, that's as high as the mobo will set it to. the corsair I got is stock at 1.9v so I'd just get something at a voltage like that

PC eye

banned
Decadence said:
on the ocz page that you posted it says that it says the power supply has a 24-pin BTX

That's correct. Why newegg along with other vendors don't list that connector if included along with the 20/4(they all have the extra 4wire plug now) is somewhat of a mystery. If you are coming from a Socket A or another older style board even some Socket 754s you would have no problem with the 20pin being seen. I have a good working Antec TP II 430w sitting in a box now since the board would not run(Asus A8N SLI) when plugged in. Upon going to a local Circuit City and Staples alike they now only carry the "revised" as marked on box Antec supplies. There was no 20pin connector seen.

The newer boards seen with 24pin sockets there are wired a little different with some extra wires. As soon as the revised model was plugged in and the breaker thrown on the board's led light up. What they don't tell you at newegg and others when listing the 24pin is if that is a mandate. This is where the confusion can come in. To be covered either way you would want to get one with the 24pin connector on it.

PC eye

banned
If you are wondering about the model supply you chose newegg's link to OCZ shows this in the specification on that model.

"NVIDIA SLI™ Ready
OCZ PowerWhisper™ Technology
OCZ PowerFlex™ individually adjustable power rails with LED indicators.
OCZ ConnectAll™ universal connector. (ATX, BTX, SATA, P4, and EPS12V)
PCI Express x2
ATX12V 2.01*
OCZ PowerShield™ power leads
5 year warranty backed by OCZ’s exclusive PowerSwap™ replacement program.** No more endless return-for-repair loops!"
You are covered there under the "OCZ ConnectAll" universal connector. http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_powerstream_power_supply-sli_ready_

Geoff

VIP Member
PC eye said:
That's correct. Why newegg along with other vendors don't list that connector if included along with the 20/4(they all have the extra 4wire plug now)
When it says it's a 20+/-4 Pin, it's not including the extra 4-Pin cable that plugs into the motherboards. It's referring to the ATX power connector. So basically a 20+/-4 Pin PSU is a 24-Pin PSU, except you can remove the additional 4 pins to make it easier for install on a 20-Pin motherboard.

PC eye

banned
[-0MEGA-] said:
When it says it's a 20+/-4 Pin, it's not including the extra 4-Pin cable that plugs into the motherboards. It's referring to the ATX power connector. So basically a 20+/-4 Pin PSU is a 24-Pin PSU, except you can remove the additional 4 pins to make it easier for install on a 20-Pin motherboard.

The 20pin connector goes into a 20pin socket on the board. The separate four wire plug is there to provide an additional 12v feed for the newer 939/040 model cpus. ATX2.0 compliancy calls for the 24pin connector on the supply if you see less then 18amps on the rails. The reason you see the 20pin as well as 24pin connectors on the OCZ model there is for backward capabillty for the older model boards. The board specifications clearly show the need for the 24pin connector. On a few model boards you may get away with running a 20pin but with a supply that provides higher amps. Read the specs at newegg and OCZ.

Decadence

you don't know how confused i am right now...the board says it needs 24 pin, and the psu says it has a 24 pin BTX=compatibility...no?
If not, you keep saying it has 20+/-4 which means it can be 20 or 24 depending on your motherboard. I don't see the problem here.

MadModder

Yes, the PSU will work with the motherboard. All 20+4-pin means is you can optionally add the extra 4 pins to the maip power connector. Your PSU can support 24 or 20 pin motherboards.

PC eye

banned
The reason for the four wire plug whether seeing a 20 or 24pin main connector is for the SLI feed where two cards would draw heavily any the power fed the board itself. That's why you see SLI supported even on older model supplies. Some of the first Socket 939 boards could run with a 20 to 24pin adapter. But for the most part when the specifications say 24pin that's precisely what the board calls for. As I mentioned earlier both the supply and board will work since OCZ has both connectors, one for the new boards and the 20pin for use on the older ones. You are set to go there.

Decadence

So it's going to work?

Also, what about widescreen, should i do it or is regular better for gaming.
Can anyone recommend the best 19" widescreen they know of in the low $200 price range?