ordering tomorrow

Geoff

VIP Member
@ PC eye, even new SLI-Supported PSU's have a 20+/-4 Pin connector. It's not just an adapter that converts it to the 24-Pin, it's a true 24-Pin power supply, except the 4 pins are removable.

So yes, that power supply will work with your motherboard. If it doesn't you should be able to RMA it.

19" widescreen anybody? should i do it or not
If you're getting a 19", I would go with the normal 4:3 ratio monitor (full screen). I wouldn't go widescreen unless you get a 20.1" monitor.

Decadence

well im looking to spend $200 +/- $40 so what would you say is the best widescreen LCD monitor for the money. if i don't go widescreen im stickin with the BenQ. I just feel like standards look a little too boxy and the widescreens look a little more natural.

PC eye

banned
[-0MEGA-] said:
@ PC eye, even new SLI-Supported PSU's have a 20+/-4 Pin connector. It's not just an adapter that converts it to the 24-Pin, it's a true 24-Pin power supply, except the 4 pins are removable.

So yes, that power supply will work with your motherboard. If it doesn't you should be able to RMA it.

If you're getting a 19", I would go with the normal 4:3 ratio monitor (full screen). I wouldn't go widescreen unless you get a 20.1" monitor.

I wasn't referring to supplies having 4 removable pins on a 24pin connector. There are 20 to 24pin adapters that are available for use on some 24pin model boards if you have an older supply with only the 20/4pin setup. http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ATX20-24&cat=CBL
There are even 24 to 20pin adapters for running a new supply on older model boards. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...Sku=TC3G-5007&SRCCODE=WEBNEXCA&CMP=EMC-NEXTAG

Jet That Benq monitor looks nice, since it has a 2ms response time... [QUOTE:]

When a lengthy discussion took place awhile back on trying to find the fastest response for an lcd that model BenQ came up on a search. That blows away the 12ms seen on the 17" BenQ model here for sure along with a long list of others. Depending where you shop the prices have fallen a great on lcds in the last few months. I'm almost ready to go after that to replace this one.

Last edited:

Decadence

so what does everybody think:

A) Ultra fast BenQ 19" standard LCD

or

B) Not as fast but still sufficient 19" widescreen Viewsonic or Rosewill

PC eye

banned
For gaming you would probably want the BenQ model for the fast 2ms response time seen there. When I recently setup a case for some wanting something larger then a 15" crt he finally went with a Viewsonic 19" model with a silver frame. The one thing that got me with the 17" model BenQ here was a need for a driver. That is probably due to being an older model there however. XP automatically takes care of that with the default 1280x1024 resolution being set upon detection as Windows was installing. You wouldn't even see that on a newer model since that was most likely one needed for 98.

Decadence

i finally ordered it!!!! yay for me.
i ordered the BenQ
i hope i didnt make a mistake in getting Window's XP Home Edition-OEM
i dont think i need 64 or anything like that right? please say right

PC eye

banned
If you were already running XP Home edition where would any problem be? If you were running the Pro edition you would now have a chance to run one of the others. The price on a full install not recovey disk copy should be good there.

Decadence

im just wondering if xp home edition is going to be ok with the computer build because im not too sure what exactly xp64 is. i lost all my old cd's from my current computer so i had to buy new ones. no biggie. i chose home because when vista comes out ill probably get vista and i didn't want to waste my money on pro.

PC eye

banned
There are two 64bit versions of XP one being the 64bit Pro edition. XP Home will go on the new build and autodetect and even auto update drivers at times. Once all of your hardwares are setup correctly(double check stuff like connections, case harness(with small plugs usually the most annoying), etc. you will have to set the time and date in the bios followed by the switch from the default PCI setting to the PCI-E setting for video. In the boot section simply change the 1st boot device listing(floppy) to cd rom along with disabling the others(forcing a boot from the installation disk) until the installer has copied all needed files to the drive and restarts the system. Upon reboot press and hold the DEL key a few times to get back into the bios to enable the second boot device as the hard drive if you still want the cd rom prompt at every bootup. If you don't you simply change the 1st to Drive #0.

XP will readily go on the hardwares you have selected without problems provided there are defects found upon receiving them where an exchange would then be needed. The Home edition is a good OS to run even if you later decide to dual OS your system upon first getting Vista. Remember there will be 5 different versions of Vista to choose from right off. Two of those are more server/business orientated there. If you run into any problems getting the new build together you know where to come for help. :)

Decadence

thanks alot, that was really helpful
all the parts should be coming on friday if im lucky
the 13 items that i ordered are coming from five different locations, the closest being jersey. since its 3-day shipping im really hoping its not just the jersey package thats coming on friday. The worst part is that i need one item from each location for the computer to run so i can't just get it started and put the rest in later.

PC eye

banned
When I had to replace the Socket A board real fast the order from newegg saw three different containers on three different days with the 3500+ coming in first. The AS5 came in the day before the board and video card together. When ordering from other vendors usually one larger package would come in with everything packaged together. Those were the days! :p

PC eye

banned
At newegg when ordered on I believe a friday night the cpu came in on tuesday, the AS5 on thursday, and saturday saw the board and video card. A lot of vendors take the orders at one place but ship from another including the manufacturer's own warehouse. When looking over new cases the shipping costs at newegg for one case was up around $19-. The identical case from a different vendor was about $28-!

When looking at a different make case at the second vendor 3day guaranteed was under $15-! I decided on going with an AeroCool case over a ThermalTake model to replace the case here with two 80mm blue led fans for the 140mm intake and 120mm rear exhaust seen on the AeroCool model at http://www.xoxide.com/aerocool-aeroengine-2-black.html
I save on both price and shipping while seeing an even better air flow in 3days shipping time.

Decadence

I was right!!
The RAM and the case are coming on monday
The monitor and the optical drive on friday
Everything else tomorrow.
It is going to pain me so much waiting with all this stuff for 5 days until the final package comes

PC eye

banned
ANTICIPATIONNNN.....! :p I was a little surprised when the first order was originally placed with newegg to see different things come in on different days. A good number of vendors do the same thing. Two that send everything at once are TigerDirect and MWave. You would have to ask others about some other vendors. What got me lately was having to go to a retail outlet to buy a supply over the counter when a better model was seen online for some $40- cheaper. But the supply was needed on the spot. :(