PC powers on but thats it

JMcGarva

Hey all. I have a custom built pc running windows 7 64bit. Computer has been running fine with no issues for a long time. For Years with no issues. I went and restarted the computer because skype was acting up saying no memory for the webcam. Which has never happened before. I restarted it. Computer powers on but nothing is actually powered. As in. Keyboard, mouse, not any of my 3 monitors. Nothing. My keyboard and mouse both light up. Only thing working is the fans and lights power supply stuff like that.

Again no issues right up to the time of restart. Any ideas? Im wondering if the computer over heated or something. Im letting it cool off and sit for awhile

Nothing new has been done other then add a microphone to the microphone jack in the past 24 hours. No software was installed though. I also tried restarting with out the jack plugged in.

Hopefully you guys can help me out. I do an online business and kinda need to get on the computer.

Thanks

Trouble shooting tips ive done so far...

I changed monitors, mouse and keyboard. I moved the graphics card to a different slot.. i have my windows on one hard drive and the rest of my normal stuff on a different hard drive. I dced one to see if it woulf work.. Nothing. I dced the one windows on it

Its weird becuase everything works. The usb works becuase i can charge my phone when i turn it on. This other mouse i tried has a light that turns on. The monitors have nothing though. They just stay with the orange light. The graphics card is a GeForce 660. The fan on the bottom of it is working as well. Just nothing coming across the monitors

Last edited by a moderator:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try removing and reinserting ram. Do you have a system speaker attached to the motherboard to hear bios beep codes? Have you tried resetting cmos?

JMcGarva

I tried with the ram just now. Even put different ram in

I just tried removing the batt for cmos. Im not sure if i did it correctly. I took the batt out and held the power button down for 30 sec without the power cord being plugged in.. is rhat the correct way?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That is the correct way, but did you also wait for a few minutes before reinserting battery and plugging back in?

JMcGarva

Yes, I just tired again. Same thing happening. Could the battery be dead? Or would the monitor at least turn on? Its just weird has HOW EVERYTHING is working.. except the monitors. If the hard drive was bad, at least it would show up on the monitor saying it cant read it, or no windows found etc. correct? I mean the monitors are just staying Orange in stand by mode. The CPU fan is running, well hell ALL fans are running. Power supply is lite up. USBs are working. They are powering my phone, mouse is lite up etc. Ram has been replaced. Different graphics card has been changed.. I put everything back to original though when trying to reset the CMOS.

Just confirming. Un plug the computer, which I have a switch as well, does it matter if that switch is on or off? But I unplugged the computer. Took the battery out. I tried 3 different ways. 1st time i took the battery out, pressed the power button for 30 secs then plugged everything back in.. 2nd way was taking the battery out, waiting 5 mins then put it back in. 3rd way was taking the battery out, pressing the power button for 30 secs. Waiting over 5 mins, put the battery back in, pressed the power button again for 30 secs, then plugged it back in.. None of the 3 ways worked.

JMcGarva

Any other advice guys? Its got to be something simple.. I mean, i simply restarted my computer, its been working fine. It wasnt doing updates or anything of that nature. At least not that I know of..

JMcGarva

After reading this .. it sounds like my mobo could be DOA? What do you guys think?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/386700-31-computer-turns-display-monitor

This is my current Mobo.. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128651

If I were to replace it, would this mobo work?

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-SATA-Motherboards-GA-970-Gaming-SLI/dp/B01D136EKC

Also, I have the this processor. Should i keep it with? OR getting something newer?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284

If I were to get a new mobo, I Need to re apply that glue stuff right? I dont remember the name

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do this first. Build the motherboard outside of the case on a piece of cardboard to verify the motherboard isn't shorting out against the case. See if it boots up. A bad hard drive, bad ram or other bad hardware can and will stop a pc from booting up, I've seen this.

Lets first try to determine what is wrong with the system before recommending anything. If motherboard is bad, I would just recommend building on a new platform. Ryzen or Intel Kaby Lake.

JMcGarva

Unfortunately I cant afford to build a whole new platform.. even though I would love too. Which really all I need is a new processor, graphics card, RAM, and Mobo. My power supply is fine, and so are both my hard drives. I installed a new bigger SSD about 4 months ago.. I have a HHD 1 tb for the normal side of the computer. I do have another mother board in a different computer. I dont think I have enough time to change everything around tonight. It will be Sat before i can. What would cause the mother board to just go bad during a restart?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Anything can happen at any time, its an electronic component. Just make sure the processor will work in that motherboard.

Deadpool

Sorry I can't watch the vids. I'm on my phone.

But standards stepts to troubleshoot are:

Try booting with only 1 RAM stick in every slot, try booting without HDD, make sure everything is fully seated in each slot and every connection is made properly (this should be the first one), read you components manuals to make sue you used the correct slots for everything, make sure your PSU is good (basically the only way is to use a good PSU to test), build the PC outside the case to make sure there are not shorts, and lastly, because it's pretty rare, make sure no CPU pins are bended or damaged, although you said you couldn't remove it, this could be a tricky one, unless you can call Superman and borrow his X-Ray vision for a while. You can't, can you...? :eek:

Edit: A couple more:

Try using the iGPU from the CPU if there is one available, and check your mother board for liquid damage or other kinds of damage, reset your CMOS by removing and reteating the CMOS battery, try another CMOS battery.

JMcGarva

So I have tried to boot my second desktop with my SSD which has windows on it from the orginal broken computer. And the computer starts up, but doesnt get past the black loading screen with all the texts and stuff in it...

I dont know maybe i need to format the SSD since its in a different computer? If I load my hard drive from my 2nd computer into the 1st original broken computer the same thing happens with either hard drive. It powers on but nothing on the screens.

I am looking at replacing the mobo and GPU. Trust me I would love to do a new setup. I was looking at the new ryzen's and I just cant afford it right now. I am looking at around 900 dollars to replace it. New. New MOBO, new GPU, new Ram, and the processor.

Plus its brand new, Ill wait until the get the bugs out. The 8350 is fast enough.. and works fine... well yah Haha

I am just wondering if I get a new MOBO and GPU, will this fix my no display issue?

JMcGarva

I have tried without HHD, I have tried it with two different SSDs that have windows installed on them. - Nothing
I have reset the CMOS via removing the battery for 5 minutes and pressing the power button for 30 secs with no power ran to the computer - nothing
I have tried with 1 Ram, I have tried with different ram then I had installed
Everything is plugged in - no liquid damage - nothing is bent or no noticeable damage to the CPU
I dont have an iGPU on this mobo
My PSU has lights in it, and they are lit up fine. I guess that means nothing, but I can try changing out the PSU with the other computer i have
And No I havent built the computer outside the case yet.

JMcGarva

i switched PSUs but only hooked up the necessary stuff.. mobo, both plugs, hard drive, and Graphics card ... and its doing the same thing

JMcGarva

replaced the batt from my other spare PC. which i know is working bc I reset the CMOS in it, and it did it correctly