PC powers on but thats it

Deadpool

I think you hard drives are fried. Can you get your hands on a completely new drive?

I'd be surprised if it was the RAM, you tried several sticks without good results. The CPU is also hard ti damage. Have you applied thermal paste?

Every boot attempt you mae I recommend you do it with only 1 hard drive and no CD drives. Will make things easier.

JMcGarva

I will try again without any hard drives attached and see if the screen displays. It should at least power on the monitors if the hard drives are disconnected. It will just say like No boot drive detected..

I do remember trying to boot with just my 1tb drive, and also tried it with the kingston drive from my 2nd computer. If I remember correctly they didnt work with them either. But let me try with no hard drive and ill let you know something here shortly.

What happens if I took all the ram out? And tried to boot with no ram?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What happens if I took all the ram out? And tried to boot with no ram?
It wouldn't boot at all. If you get "no boot media found" message then its a hard drive issue. If the screens still won't turn on then its a different issue.

JMcGarva

Well, then again, its either the RAM or the processor. The RAM is fairly new. I have also tried it with other sticks I have, and nothing. So I just dont know anymore.

JMcGarva

Yes, Ive tried HDMI, VGA, and DVI, and 5 different monitors. I am hoping my RAM isnt bad because I dont remember the story with the old sticks. I think they were fine, I just wanted more memory. I have 2x8gb currently and I tried putting one of my 2gb ones in there to see. 2gb should be able to enough right? At least to see if the RAM is what went bad or not.

JMcGarva

Okay, Well, I am pretty sure my ram is fine. I order a new processor, well see how it goes tomorrow. Thank god for amazon. Ill just return the items I didnt need if it comes down to it. I am just hoping it is the CPU, just so I can get the damn thing working again!

JMcGarva

Just for shits and giggles, what would be next thing you guys would check if say the new CPU doesnt fix the problem. Other then bring it to the shop, what would be next on your list? I am just preparing just in case...

Deadpool

Yeah I don´t think there is something else. Unless every RAM stick you tried, every PSU and every GPU were damaged, and now your new motherboard´s RAM slots as well, my money is on the CPU.

JMcGarva

Okay ready for this one? Put the new CPU in and nothing... Im like wtf. So I took the new one out and put the old one back in. Made sure everything was tight, which it was. Started it up and worked fine... New and old CPU are working fine.. Computer is working now. Im so confused

Deadpool

Okay ready for this one? Put the new CPU in and nothing... Im like wtf. So I took the new one out and put the old one back in. Made sure everything was tight, which it was. Started it up and worked fine... New and old CPU are working fine.. Computer is working now. Im so confused

Mmh probably the CPU wasn´t properly installed? As I said the CPU is almost never the cause of problems, unless you fried it.