PC powers on but thats it

JMcGarva

Ok i put my SSD from my 2nd computer in, and it started up with no issues. So I am guessing the mobo is bad, and also the SSD? I just got that SSD maybe around Nov or Dec of last year.. Its a PNY brand.. Would they cover that?

I am also looking at upgrading the GPU to either a Geforce 1050ti or the Geforce 1060.. I dont know which is better. I currently have the Geforce 660 by EVGA. I am also looking at replacing the mobo with this one...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D136EKC/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Deadpool

Ok i put my SSD from my 2nd computer in, and it started up with no issues. So I am guessing the mobo is bad, and also the SSD? I just got that SSD maybe around Nov or Dec of last year.. Its a PNY brand.. Would they cover that?

I am also looking at upgrading the GPU to either a Geforce 1050ti or the Geforce 1060.. I dont know which is better. I currently have the Geforce 660 by EVGA. I am also looking at replacing the mobo with this one...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D136EKC/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Definitely the 1060 is better. I would recommend you getting the RX 480 though. Please take that computer to a shop before doing anything crazy. They have spare parts to test everything.

JMcGarva

Ok so get this...

The SSD on the 2nd computer boots my 1st computer fine... once i put mobo, ram, and CPU from the 2nd computer into the 1st computer. The GPU, PSU, are the orginal from the 1st computer. Computer boots fine. When I add the SSD from the 1st computer, it still boots fine, it does boot from the 2nd computers SSD though. But once I hit the desktop, I am able to see my 1st's computer SSD and everything opens fine and etc. But it just wont boot.. The only two things I have on the 2nd SSD is windows, winodws files, and my game that I play. Would it be worth formatting the SSD.

I did order a new mobo, the rx480 and some thermal compound cooling gel. Im pretty sure the mobo is fired and ive been wanting to upgrade the GPU for awhile. I might still bring it to a shop and see what the deal is.

But I am hoping to still use the same SSD? Its larger then the 2nd computers SSD. Thats why i was thinking to format it.

What do you think?

Thanks for your help so far

Deadpool

Well I don´t think you should have ordered a new motherboard without knowing it was the culprit of your booting problem.

You have made such a mess swapping parts around I don´t even know what is what anymore. I mean, you say "I put the SSD from the second computer in the first computer... ONCE I put the mobo, RAM and CPU from the 2nd computer". That doesn´t make any sense. You are basically using the 2nd computer...

Here is what I propose:

Grab your SSD from computer 1 (The PNY CS1311), put it in computer 2, WITHOUT anything else from computer 1. If computer 2 used to boot fine and doesn´t boot anymore, the it´s the SSD. Otherwise we shall keep troubleshooting.

Please take that computer to a shop before doing anything crazy.

One post later...

I did order a new mobo,

JMcGarva

I put the PNY SSD in the 2nd computer when all this 1st started and it didnt do anything...

I currently have the kingston SSD which was the SSD from the 2nd computer running everything right now...

I currently am running....

My original case with the mobo from the 2nd computer, CPU from the 2nd computer, and SSD from the 2nd computer - My GPU, PSU, are from the 1st computer that had the issues with the monitor.

(note the PNY hard drive is the original harddrive in the 1st computer and the kingston is the hard drive from the 2nd computer)

I tried booting the 1st computer with the kingston hard drive and still had the same issue
I tried boosting the 2nd computer with the PNY hard drive, and it wouldnt get past the black text screen - but I had monitor power
I tried changing the GPU from the 2nd computer over to the 1st computer and still no power to the monitor
I tried changing the RAMS out on the 1st computer - still no monitor power
I reset the CMOS on the 1st computer - no power
I changed out PSU from the 2nd computer over to the 1st computer - in and out of the case - still no monitor power

I honestly DONT have time to waste - I got an online business to run, and I feel like I tried everything with no fixing. TRUST ME I am short on money = thank god its tax season and I would love to not buy anything... But I havent made any progress.. I am also reading on other sites too.. And trust me, you have been more then awesome when it comes to the help.. I Have Terrible experience with local computer stores.. one small fix and they charge me 200 dollars and 2 weeks later its fixed. I rather just spend 200 dollars and get the computer up and going asap.

Deadpool

I tried booting the 1st computer with the kingston hard drive and still had the same issue

That one is interesting. Seems the SSD is not the problem. Or at least the only problem.

I Have Terrible experience with local computer stores.. one small fix and they charge me 200 dollars and 2 weeks later its fixed.

I know that most computer shops are replete with charlatans, but at least they can tell you exactly what is wrong. What happens if your new motherboard arrives and the problem persists? Next thing you gotta buy is a gun to paint the wall with your brains.

My recommendation is: take it to the shop just to find out what is wrong, then change the stuff yourself. There is almost no one that can actually "fix" a component. This things are way too complex to attempt a fix. Most of the times all you do is a replacement of what is malfunctioning and forget about it.

JMcGarva

If the problem is still there, then I can return it. Not a big deal. If it comes to that, then Ill have someone look at it. It will still be quicker and more then likely cheaper to fix it with new parts then it would be to try have a shop fix it.. They will probably tell me its fired and hey we can order new parts for you.. Trust me, I love to support local businesses, but most of them are rip offs and scams. Ive seen it 1st hand. Ill let you know tues if it works or not. The parts come in monday, but i work 24 hours at a time.. I work as a firefighter, and I am on shift monday. so it will be tues before I can put it together. In the mean time, let me know if you have anymore trouble shooting tips

Deadpool

If the problem is still there, then I can return it. Not a big deal. If it comes to that, then Ill have someone look at it. It will still be quicker and more then likely cheaper to fix it with new parts then it would be to try have a shop fix it.. They will probably tell me its fired and hey we can order new parts for you.. Trust me, I love to support local businesses, but most of them are rip offs and scams. Ive seen it 1st hand. Ill let you know tues if it works or not. The parts come in monday, but i work 24 hours at a time.. I work as a firefighter, and I am on shift monday. so it will be tues before I can put it together. In the mean time, let me know if you have anymore trouble shooting tips

All right then, sir. You can use this thread which is more detailed. The steps are the same as the ones I gave you (minus a few) but they are easier to follow. Maybe I wasn´t clear enough and you missed something, or I did.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Best of luck.

JMcGarva

I read all of those. Most of them are for starting up a new pc it seems like. Again i havent changed anything inside my case for the past few months which was installing a new ssd. The last time i opened the case before that was probably 6 months for a quick cleaning of the dust. And the time before that was 6 months before that for the same thing

Again i could be completely wrong. It could be something simple... but we tried a lot of trouble shooting tips.

If this happened after i did some work inside the case then i could under stand something isnt ran or installed correctly. But being the computer has been running fine for the past 3 years... it seems like to me something went bad some where. Iike the other guy said, its electrical. It can go bad at any time

Deadpool

I read all of those. Most of them are for starting up a new pc it seems like. Again i havent changed anything inside my case for the past few months which was installing a new ssd. The last time i opened the case before that was probably 6 months for a quick cleaning of the dust. And the time before that was 6 months before that for the same thing

Again i could be completely wrong. It could be something simple... but we tried a lot of trouble shooting tips.

If this happened after i did some work inside the case then i could under stand something isnt ran or installed correctly. But being the computer has been running fine for the past 3 years... it seems like to me something went bad some where. Iike the other guy said, its electrical. It can go bad at any time

That´s why I mentioned a power spike in a previous post. My guess is something went kaputz, maybe in a storm or just a malfunction.

JMcGarva

Its just odd how it happened as i restarted the computer.

I am hoping that the pny ssd isnt toast. Maybe windows needs to be reinstalled on it? Its odd becuase everything that's normally in the hd is there. Now idk about all the detailed registy stuff. But at a quick glance all the normal folders were there

Deadpool

It would be rare if the Registry got fudged for no reason. You mentioned installing a pair of headphones? I suppose you tried unplugging them right? It's kind of a long shot but its worth the try. It's usually USB drives and such that can cause boot problems but I'm out of options now :D

Usually if you can see the folders, open them and such, the drive should be ok. Even if something bad happen just a re installation or repair should suffice.

JMcGarva

I dont think I said anything about killing head phones. I said the only different I did to the PC in the 24 hours before it crashed was plug in an external mic. Thats all..

The new stuff should be in tomorrow. Ill put it all together on Tues... I ordered some new thermal paste, how should I clean the old stuff off? It is all crusty and stuff. I hope the processor isnt fired :/ I just got it sitting on desk for now.. If I remember correctly, Ive been told they are very fragile. Is that correct?

Deadpool

I dont think I said anything about killing head phones. I said the only different I did to the PC in the 24 hours before it crashed was plug in an external mic. Thats all..

The new stuff should be in tomorrow. Ill put it all together on Tues... I ordered some new thermal paste, how should I clean the old stuff off? It is all crusty and stuff. I hope the processor isnt fired :/ I just got it sitting on desk for now.. If I remember correctly, Ive been told they are very fragile. Is that correct?

I never said anything about killing headphones either. I said try diconnecting them that's all.

The fragile part of the CPUs are the pins. If you bend them you can't use the CPU. They can be bent back into place carefully but I've never done it myself.

JMcGarva

Oh hell haha I read that wrong. I was just waking up. My bad.. And yes, I tried unplugging them. I tried starting the computer up with just the power plug and monitor plug. And nothing else plugged into it

JMcGarva

OK so heres the update.

New mobo, new GPU
original Ram, PSU, and CPU

Powers on, sounds like its booting - no pictures!

So, therefore, it can only be 3 things.
PSU, CPU, OR Ram

I changed the ram out with some old ram thats smaller, Still no picture
I changed the PSU when doing tests the other day and setting it up on the cardboard outside the case - Still no picture

The only thing I havent changed is the CPU. So if I figured this out correctly. Thats the ONLY part that hasnt been changed out between the two computers .

What do you think?