Phenom x4 Temps??

aviation_man

I'd love to get the V8 on my rig, but the thing is I'm not sure if it'd fit. That thing is HUGE. lol.
The GeminII looks pretty good. But isn't 30$ too cheap?

87dtna

I'd love to get the V8 on my rig, but the thing is I'm not sure if it'd fit. That thing is HUGE. lol.

The only thing about the V8 is it's very tall. So you only really have to worry about clearance if you have a skinny case or a side case fan.
The GeminII is short and very wide, it could cause conflict with a lot of northbridge coolers. Mine was fine, but I see now I was just lucky. I really like the way mine turned out, because the CPU cooler blows air onto the NB heatsink as well. But looking at your board, the NB heatsink on yours is much taller. Not sure if it would fit.

Phenom I just doesn't overclock well in general. The 9950 is the best Phenom I there is. You should atleast get 3.2 out of it.

Fatback

VIP Member

The geminII is a pretty good cooler although I would go for something else. Something that isn't hard to install. With the geminII you have to take off your motherboard to install it to much trouble if you ask me. I like my triton 78 it is a pretty good cooler I didn't see a big drop in idle temps but in load temps this thing does awesome. For what It cost you really can't go wrong.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10009415

Also
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10007053
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233014

You don't have to get something expensive just about anything with heat pipes is going to be better for you.

Fatback

VIP Member
:O Is that one as big as it looks??

Yes lol look at the pics of my rig on my profile so you can see how big it is in my case. It is just under 6inches tall and I have a 1/4 of an inch left. I had to put my side panel fan on the outside. It's tall so it doesn't cover RAM slots. Also the fan blows out the back of the case on a AM2+ clip. I only payed $10 for it after rebate newegg still charges $60 I think.

aviation_man

Yes lol look at the pics of my rig on my profile so you can see how big it is in my case. It is just under 6inches tall and I have a 1/4 of an inch left. I had to put my side panel fan on the outside. It's tall so it doesn't cover RAM slots. Also the fan blows out the back of the case on a AM2+ clip. I only payed $10 for it after rebate newegg still charges $60 I think.

Haha. DANG. it IS huge.. I wonder how different the spaces between the RAM and the CPU is from the m4a78 board compared to my m3a78 board.

Fatback

VIP Member
Haha. DANG. it IS huge.. I wonder how different the spaces between the RAM and the CPU is from the m4a78 board compared to my m3a78 board.

M3A78-EM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

M4A78-EM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

As you can see there is almost no difference between the boards placement of RAM Slots and CPU Socket. It would fit the same way on you board as it does mine. Your north bridge is taller then mine but that wont be a problem.

Do notice how on both of our boards they put the PCIex1 slot right in front of the north bridge. Pretty much make it useless there is no way a card is going to fit there.

aviation_man

Ah. Awesome. So you said 5", right? It'll be a tight fit I believe on my case...

Yeah dude when I first got the board I was like wtf????. But I don't use PCIe so it's all good. Although I'ma be screwed in the future if I do get a PCIe card... lol

Fatback

VIP Member
Ah. Awesome. So you said 5", right? It'll be a tight fit I believe on my case...

Yeah dude when I first got the board I was like wtf????. But I don't use PCIe so it's all good. Although I'ma be screwed in the future if I do get a PCIe card... lol

It's just under 6" I think it would be 5" 3/4 if you have 6" from your CPU to your side panel then it will fit.

I first noticed the PCIe slot when I was going to buy a wireless network card to go there. All my PCI slots are covered by my 4850 so I have no slots available for another card.

aviation_man

It's just under 6" I think it would be 5" 3/4 if you have 6" from your CPU to your side panel then it will fit.

I first noticed the PCIe slot when I was going to buy a wireless network card to go there. All my PCI slots are covered by my 4850 so I have no slots available for another card.

I'll have to measure meh baby and see if it'll work. I hope that it will fit my OCing needs.

Why go wireless when you have ethernet?

87dtna

Fatback does that cpu cooler cover your NB heatsink at all? I have the same mobo you have in my other rig, and the NB heatsink is much lower than the m3a78.

Fatback

VIP Member
I'll have to measure meh baby and see if it'll work. I hope that it will fit my OCing needs.

Why go wireless when you have ethernet?

I have another computer that I have my internet hooked to. Then I have a router on it so I can get wireless on my iPod touch, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii, and My gaming rig.

I sure it will be pretty good at OCing it keeps load temps down really nicely. Have you tried OCing with out raising voltages. Thats what I did I went from 2.3 to 2.6 stable. I could raise my voltages and go further but I'm kinda funny when it comes to temps.

Fatback does that cpu cooler cover your NB heatsink at all? I have the same mobo you have in my other rig, and the NB heatsink is much lower than the m3a78.

Nope it isn't even over my north bridge it is about 1/4" from being over it.

aviation_man

I have another computer that I have my internet hooked to. Then I have a router on it so I can get wireless on my iPod touch, PSP, Xbox 360, Wii, and My gaming rig.

I sure it will be pretty good at OCing it keeps load temps down really nicely. Have you tried OCing with out raising voltages. Thats what I did I went from 2.3 to 2.6 stable. I could raise my voltages and go further but I'm kinda funny when it comes to temps.

I can only OC it right now by 10% (If I remember correctly) without touching the Multiplier or Voltages. Nah I haven't, isn't it too risky with a stock cooler?

Fatback

VIP Member
I can only OC it right now by 10% (If I remember correctly) without touching the Multiplier or Voltages. Nah I haven't, isn't it too risky with a stock cooler?

If you don't raise voltages then the temps want go up. I just raised my bus speed from 200 to 227. I didn't see any increase in temps at all and didn't have to touch anything else. I tested with prime95 or 8hours and it was stable. It wasn't enough for me so I ran prime95 for another 22hours and it was stable.

aviation_man

If you don't raise voltages then the temps want go up. I just raised my bus speed from 200 to 227. I didn't see any increase in temps at all and didn't have to touch anything else. I tested with prime95 or 8hours and it was stable. It wasn't enough for me so I ran prime95 for another 22hours and it was stable.

I'll have to try that. I'll update when I do. It'll be tomorrow when I do. How hot does your mobo get?